PDA

View Full Version : Should have bought this a long time ago....

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2012, 10:42
I have about 250-300 records (LPs). The surround sound receiver I have does not have a phono input, so I knew I needed to buy a phono preamp. Finally ordered one, and it arrived today.

I had all but forgotten how crisp LPs sound vs CDs! And the vast percentage of my LPs have never been released on cds.....

NC

stansdds
April 13th, 2012, 11:20
LP's do produce a different sound than the same music on a CD. Seems to me guitars sound much better on LP.

beana51
April 13th, 2012, 11:44
Yes LPs..I have about 200 or so...Fine Stuff...Got a SONY turntable,with Pre-Amp installed....No longer those big WOOFERS, MID-RANGE,and those TWEETERS,altho would like to have my AR speakers back...but now I have a BOSE,The Little Thing with the BIG SOUND...Wire into the AUX and Full Big Sound...with controls on the BOSE remote...HIGH FIDELITY, STEREOPHONIC!..The Warm sounds of Vinyl Records!!..big difference from the Chromatic sounds..No BIG TUBES However!..No AMP,PRE-AMP,TUNER,and a house full of stuff..Jut a Compact System..with GREAT sound..........Thanx..Vin!!

Cees Donker
April 13th, 2012, 12:39
Kid, I'm glad I'm not your neighbour!
:icon_eek:
Cees

beana51
April 13th, 2012, 15:21
AHH! Yes..the BASS REFLEX..or the INFINITE BAFFLE...culminating in the Klipsch horn I Found the Acoustic Research AR-2 speakers most revolutionary at that time!...Before the Twin Towers,in NYC..there was Cortland Street...A Street filled with the then new technology..".HI FI","Stereo"..any thing Audio...A Real Bazaar of small shops with the then latest technology!...Chasing the CYCLES PER SECOND thing...If the house shook,yer bass was OK...and if the Dog Howled???only he could hear the electrostatic Tweeter!..From "Beethovens 9th"..to " Dave Brubeck s Take 5."Dixieland" to "Grand Opera!.".. "Glen Miller to "Vivaldi!"So now with my set up I can once again re-hear those wonderful sounds by those great artists....Thanx For The Memory!..Vin

FlameOut
April 14th, 2012, 02:58
Thanks for posting that video, Canelo_Kid. It's been a while since I've heard that. Now where did my youth go, it's in here somewhere! I just know it is, I'll keep looking. :applause:

Navy Chief
April 14th, 2012, 05:35
Now where did my youth go, it's in here somewhere! I just know it is, I'll keep looking. :applause:

I refuse to grow old (inside, at least!)..........NC

deKoven
April 14th, 2012, 06:05
Sorry, I'm a convert. While true that LP's sound better, especially for some types of recordings, they just don't have that "unchangeable" sound that a CD gives. For the first playings they do sound nice but it's all downhill from there.

:icon_lol:

stansdds
April 14th, 2012, 06:38
I refuse to grow old (inside, at least!)..........NC

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.