PDA

View Full Version : P3D to FSX Multiplayer Compatability

Dave Torkington
April 12th, 2012, 08:53
Like it says on the tin - If I were to invest in P3D, could I still connect via FSHost to an FSX session or am I restricted to P3D - P3D peer to peer only?

If it is possible, I guess there'd be some discrepancy in airfield data...

Thanks,

Dave.

ZEUS67
April 12th, 2012, 09:24
Herein lays a problem. The multiuser environment is one of the most heavily worked on in Prepar3D. I suppose that P3D would have no problem reading FSX's data, but the FSX server would not be able to read some of the info because of changes in the data stream.

You can ask in the P3D forums and get a straight knowledgeable answer.

Dave Torkington
April 12th, 2012, 11:15
Herein lays a problem. The multiuser environment is one of the most heavily worked on in Prepar3D. I suppose that P3D would have no problem reading FSX's data, but the FSX server would not be able to read some of the info because of changes in the data stream.

You can ask in the P3D forums and get a straight knowledgeable answer.

Understood Zeus - thank you :salute: I'll get over to the PSD forum right now.

Regards,

Dave.

Dave Torkington
April 13th, 2012, 04:11
Found the answer on the P3D forum

'The multiplayer functionality in Prepar3D and FSX are not compatible. We had to tweek multiplayer in order to support the new multichannel functionality.'

No great surprise really... Shame, because I'd invest in P3D if there was a way to join FSX multiplayer.

Dave.

Lionheart
April 13th, 2012, 08:48
Lets take a step back. Remember that someone had to make a communication device software pack that enabled FSX to talk with FSX and FS9 'outside' of the gaming online channels. Lets hope the same guy can perhaps create 'another' MP link system.

The one in P3D enables one to play on IP addresses, like FS9. FSX didnt have that. You have to use that little software program FS Host. FS Host isnt by MS, isnt by Aces, is totally 3rd party.

Just a humble heads up to that department. I'll take IP link over GameSpy any day. With a direct IP link, you can link up with your friends without a website, just like in the good ole days of FS9 and FS8.

Bill

Dave Torkington
April 15th, 2012, 00:04
Good point Bill, I hadn't even thought about Mr Gilbert and FSHost being a possibility... It's pretty quiet over at the Chocolate Software forum, but I may just pop a message on there re. P3D / FSX. He's a real decent chap, so it's worth a try.

Dave.

russellg
May 14th, 2012, 08:28
Hi guys,

I've just now released version 1.2 of FSHostClient with full support for Prepar3D.

With FSHostClient running on the same machine as Prepar3D, you can connect to an FSHost multiplayer session and join players using FS2002, FS2004, and FSX, and see each other's planes. You can also chat with the other players, and use all of the additional features built into FSHost such as Hop Lists, Flight Plans, Custom Chat Commands, etc. Check it out and let me know if you find any issues.

Download FSHostClient 1.2 here:
http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/?fshostclient.html

You can also download FSHostSpy to find all the FSHost multiplayer sessions currently running:
http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshostspy/

Or host your own multiplayer session with FSHost:
http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/

Thanks to Dave Torkington for the initial heads-up about Prepar3D!

Russell Gilbert

Lionheart
May 14th, 2012, 08:46
Hey Russell,

I was pretty amazed to find that P3D runs great with FSHost, no updates required, just like as though one were running FS9 or FSX.

Bill

russellg
May 14th, 2012, 09:08
Hi Bill,

As far as I'm aware, Prepar3D seems to be using a new multiplayer system that's different from all of the Microsoft versions, so I think FSHostClient is still required to be able to connect it to FSHost. Is that not the case?

FSHostClient 1.1 actually worked fairly well with P3D, but it had some problems dealing with aircraft it didn't know about, and the feature where you can right-click a player's name to change which aircraft you see them in. Version 1.2 should take care of all that, and display the list of aircraft correctly depending on whether you're using FSX or P3D. It also has a new entry in the planes.txt file for dealing with the default aircraft displayed (when you don't have the other person's plane) for both FSX and P3D.

BTW, is there any technical info available on P3D's new multiplayer system? Just curious...

Thanks,
Russell

Lionheart
May 14th, 2012, 19:25
BTW, is there any technical info available on P3D's new multiplayer system? Just curious...

Thanks,
Russell

That is a very good question.

They do have 2 tutorial videos on accessing multiplayer flights at the P3 website. You might check those out. I'll see if I can find any data on MP in the data inside the sim. Surely there is something.

When I fly in FS9, FSX, or P3, I double click on FSHC and I am in... Done deal. I have never hosted, so I dont know about that. I have tried direct IP address flights here at SOH.net, that didnt work. In the FS9 days, we could link with friends easily with IP addresses, but now with modems linked into routers, its much more difficult. Firewalls, protection systems, etc, etc, etc...

Bill

Reddog
May 15th, 2012, 12:26
There's a new FSHost Client out that takes P3D!

Dave Torkington
May 18th, 2012, 14:07
Yes indeedy Reddog - works beautifully too! Thank you Russell :applause:

Regards, Dave.

Lionheart
May 18th, 2012, 17:27
Found that out today.

Many thanks Russell!

New Server as well!

Bill