PDA

View Full Version : First flight in a Tomahawk! (TFF Video)

TuFun
April 11th, 2012, 21:18
One of my favorite aircraft the Curtiss P-40! I built a rubber band powered model and converted to U-control and added a Pee-Wee Cox engine many moons ago. I've flown the WOP2 version and it's a nice model, but this one with Accu-sim... WOW!!! The shaking at near stall was incredible! The sound immersion is fantastic! Even the sputtering of the engine starving for fuel... blown away!!! -TF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9DLbUg8048

Bruce Thompson
April 12th, 2012, 04:25
Simply wonderful, your having far too much fun TuFun.
:applause:
:applause::applause:Thank you.

TuFun
April 12th, 2012, 10:43
Simply wonderful, your having far too much fun TuFun.
:applause:
:applause::applause:Thank you.

I know! 63049That little button on top of the stick is to activate the hydraulic pump to raise and lower flaps and landing gear! 63050

TuFun
April 12th, 2012, 12:58
Few pics of this beauty...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-04-1213-04-39-12-Copy.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-04-1213-10-29-13.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-04-1213-09-20-48.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-04-1213-08-13-99.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-04-1213-05-53-85.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/P-40b-Copy.jpg

papab
April 12th, 2012, 13:15
TuFun,
Enjoyed that film.....You have now me taking my CC out and going to the A2A site!!!
Were you using Orbx,REX and Shade?

Great Job

I to used to build rubber band powered models, small gas using the Cox .049
Later got into control line with .40 size engines

Then RC-got out of the hobby just as the ARF kits were starting to hit the market

I sure built my share of TopFlite and Goldberg models...

Thanks again for the film!
Rick

pilottj
April 12th, 2012, 14:34
I think you guys will really like the P-40. Of all the A2A fighters so far it is the most practical as a scenery tourer IMHO. The P-47 is a little too big for most of the smaller GA airports and the Spitfire with it's cooling challenges make multiple takeoffs/landings hopping around difficult without letting it cool down. The P-40 can handle the small airports, can easily handle multpile land-taxi back-takeoff operations. There is a little bit of a learning curve to it to get used to its quirks but once you get used to it, she is fairly easy to fly.

One bit of advice, unless you plan on flying long haul trips, don't fly with rear fuselage tank full as it puts the CG aft and makes it much more pitch sensitive.

Cheers
TJ

TuFun
April 12th, 2012, 14:46
TuFun,
Enjoyed that film.....You have now me taking my CC out and going to the A2A site!!!
Were you using Orbx,REX and Shade?

Great Job

I to used to build rubber band powered models, small gas using the Cox .049
Later got into control line with .40 size engines

Then RC-got out of the hobby just as the ARF kits were starting to hit the market

I sure built my share of TopFlite and Goldberg models...

Thanks again for the film!
Rick

Yep, Orbx PNW, REX OD, and Shade.

My father was a big time U-control flyer. A friend of his gave me a Cox 63057 Cub in the 60's, I was to young to fly it.
Then my dad bought a Cox 63058 Stuka (70's), was to heavy and would always tear the wheels off.

Then I built a Guillow's P-40 63059 rubber band model, converted to U-control with Cox Pee-Wee .020 engine. Very light and fast!

Had one off these made by Testors 63060 very rugged for a plastic aircraft.

I thought I would get into R/C flight (80's), but never did. This MRC is still in the box. 63061 63062

In the 70's my dad and I built two Stearmans (rubber powered and gas U-control), French Spad, and a Corsair given to us by friend in the service with my dad. -TF

TuFun
April 12th, 2012, 14:52
I think you guys will really like the P-40. Of all the A2A fighters so far it is the most practical as a scenery tourer IMHO. The P-47 is a little too big for most of the smaller GA airports and the Spitfire with it's cooling challenges make multiple takeoffs/landings hopping around difficult without letting it cool down. The P-40 can handle the small airports, can easily handle multpile land-taxi back-takeoff operations. There is a little bit of a learning curve to it to get used to its quirks but once you get used to it, she is fairly easy to fly.

One bit of advice, unless you plan on flying long haul trips, don't fly with rear fuselage tank full as it puts the CG aft and makes it much more pitch sensitive.

Cheers
TJ

I'm really enjoying this P-40!

Blade124
April 13th, 2012, 12:14
TuFun,

That is a very well done video. You took your time and just let things happen. I especially like the fact that you were not pushing the engine too hard, as this is how you would fly this aircraft if it was your own. One thing though, on your climb out, your airspeed got low. I wonder if that was the pilot load of working that hydraulic system that took your attention off your airspeed?

Also, what airfield did you takeoff from?

Scott.

TuFun
April 13th, 2012, 15:08
TuFun,

That is a very well done video. You took your time and just let things happen. I especially like the fact that you were not pushing the engine too hard, as this is how you would fly this aircraft if it was your own. One thing though, on your climb out, your airspeed got low. I wonder if that was the pilot load of working that hydraulic system that took your attention off your airspeed?

Also, what airfield did you takeoff from?

Scott.

This P-40 is a joy to fly. Keeps you busy at times in the cockpit, but type of immersion is what I like the most. Even though the hydraulic system can be set to automatic, I chose to use the button on the stick and watch the gears move up on the panel. Probably should have the canopy closed to hear the pump strain to indicate the gear was fully up. I started to stall, when I was pulling back on the prop pitch. I went ahead and let it continue, just to see the stall effects. Not a complete stall, but rattling was impressive!!! Same with the sputtering engine. Just switch to another tank and running fine! I wasn't sure how she was going to fly with Accu-sim, or I should say if could fly her with Accu-sim. It's the only way to fly I can say!!!

The airfield I like to fly from is Bowerman, WA (Orbx PNW). The bay is surround by two other airfields and a private field west of Bowerman, so incase of an emergency those fields come in handy. Plus, the bay waters look nice!

Ian Warren
April 13th, 2012, 16:35
I like that video very much , love the flypasts :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">