PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Stewart involved in two motor racing movies.

wombat666
April 11th, 2012, 03:01
Jackie Stewart has revealed he is involved in two motor racing movies - helping out on a feature film based on his relationship with Francois Cevert, plus working on a remastered version of his famous 'Weekend of a Champion'.

The three-time champion has thrown his support behind plans for a film about his time with former Tyrrell team-mate Cevert, who was killed at Watkins Glen in 1973.

The Cevert film is being put together by Brokeback Mountain producer Bill Pohlad, and casting is currently underway - with Ewan McGregor being considered for the role of Stewart.

Speaking to AUTOSPORT about the film, Stewart said: "I think it will be a good movie. They are working hard on it.

"The storyline is about how two drivers who are normally opposed to each other as team-mates become really close. I've told Bill everything - all the great relationships we had. There will be a lot of tears."

The film charts the pair's relationship from 1971 and will conclude at Watkins Glen, where Cevert was killed in a crash on Saturday morning – which caused Stewart to call time on his F1 career one race early.

"You know what is going to happen in the end, but the circumstances of it all are complicated – Francois getting an approach from Ferrari; was I going to retire as I hadn't even told Helen [Stewart]? So there is plenty of drama there. I think it will be a very good film."

As well as the Cevert movie, Stewart is also working with Roman Polanski on a 40th anniversary remastered version of their 'Weekend of a Champion' film that charted his success at the 1971 Monaco Grand Prix.

"Polanski is redoing it, in High Definition," said Stewart. "We will be doing the same things we did in the original film, but revisiting them 40 years later. So we've driven around the track together again, and we will be talking in the same suite at the Hotel de Paris. It is going to be interesting."

Wing_Z
April 11th, 2012, 20:03
I had the rare pleasure of meeting Sir Jackie some years ago, and sharing a moment at a race meeting.
My impression of him then was that he was a self-opinionated, self-important, self-centred little snot.
I'm glad he is breaking out in his dotage and doing some noble stuff that doesn't aim to glorify Himself.
Oh, wait...

Stewart is the biggest single reason F1 almost became a totally namby pamby Sunday afternoon frolic for boys in crash-proof padded suits.
I suspect it had less to do with "safety" than finding a grandstand for Hisself though, and even possibly, a yellow streak ending in his rectum.

Stewart and Polanski... I do believe it's a tough choice as to who is the more narcissistic, they probably deserve each other.
Whew well there I've said it... and I'll give the movies a miss, too!

wombat666
April 12th, 2012, 03:58
+99.5%:applause:
As I remarked previously if 'Wee Jock MacArmco' was so concerned about his fellow drivers and their safety why did not stop at Zandvoort and assist David Purley in his efforts to save Roger Williamson??
Francois Cevert [aka 'Prince Charming'] died thanks to incorrectly fixed Armco at Watkins Glen, one of the most promising young drivers and a true 'Gentleman', who is not well known today, but who's career will make a decent film provided the real story is told.

"I suspect it had less to do with "safety" than finding a grandstand for Hisself though, and even possibly, a yellow streak ending in his rectum."

Rather too harsh IMHO, Stewart was all about 'Formula 1 Business' but I honestly would never label him a coward, perhaps he had an over enlarged sense of self preservation which is understandable.
Stewart was never a Jimmy Clark, so he survived, but I certainly don't rank him as a truly great driver.
:kilroy:

Wing_Z
April 12th, 2012, 14:56
... I honestly would never label him a coward, perhaps he had an over enlarged sense of self preservation
Agreed a tad harsh, I was putting the boot in because it's personal.
The blighter publicly humiliated me those years ago, and I have never forgiven him.
He probably wouldn't even have noticed he was being rude, or even remember.
Very self-absorbed little man.

wombat666
April 13th, 2012, 00:00
Yes indeed, Wee Jock can do his own Colonoscopy via Mk.I eyeball to check out his Prostate!
:kilroy:

He made a right dick of himself in Melbourne during a guest speaking performance by telling us that Australia MUST have an F1 Grand Prix.
Australia is a BIG country and the AGP promotes tourism and investment and the whole nine yards!!!!
The United States is a BIG country, so much so that it has two F1 Grands Prix.
Oh really???
Last time I looked the US was devoid of the F1 blight.
Bloody Muppet!
:173go1: