PDA

View Full Version : A little excitement this morning......

Navy Chief
April 10th, 2012, 06:17
I decided to have my coffee this morning, sitting outside on the deck, and took my Siamese cat, "Twist" with me.
Twist was exploring the area, and was over by a side screen door. I noticed he was interested in something along the deck. I focused my eyes a little (was wearing my sunglasses), and realized that Twist was nose to nose with a black snake!

I immediately took Twist back to my room, and grabbed my camera to take pictures of the snake. Then I slowly opened the screen door, took a broom, and scooted the snake out the door.

I went back and got Twist again. Sat down, and resumed enjoying my coffee. Less than a minute passed, and I noticed a snake's head pop up behind a wood beam support on the deck. Am assuming it the was the same snake, and it had come back under the door. But possible it was another one. Either way, I took Twist BACK to my room, came back, and scooted the snake out the door AGAIN! Thank goodness they are harmless black snakes!

Terry
April 10th, 2012, 06:52
I think I would fix the hole before you get an Eastern Diamondback!

Toastmaker
April 10th, 2012, 10:22
Snake just trying to meet the new neighbor, Chief -

:running:

rhumbaflappy
April 10th, 2012, 11:17
I would be tempted to introduce the harmless snake to my harmless shovel.

Dick

Ferry_vO
April 10th, 2012, 12:31
That's a good looking snake, but

I think I would fix the hole before you get an Eastern Diamondback!

That's a good idea too!

Apparently cats can't smell snakes, but they do like to chase things that move around...

Navy Chief
April 10th, 2012, 13:36
When I lived in TN, we had a lot of cats. It was quite common to look out our kitchen window, and see several of them "circling the wagons". Typically, they would corner something, and then take turns messing with it, until they killed it. A lot of times, it was either a field mouse, or a small snake (moccasin).

Even though this is a black snake, I didn't want to take the chance of it biting my Twist!

I called the local experts on the island about venomous snakes on Sanibel. Although there are a couple species, it has been years since any have been reported.

I found the areas (two) where the snake is most likely getting into the deck area. I probably won't be able to stop it from entering, but am going to make it more difficult!

NC

Roadburner440
April 10th, 2012, 16:40
Good thing you pulled your cat back NC! Even if the snake isn't poisonous it could always try to choke the cat out. Not sure how your Siamese is, but we have a Himalayan (Siamese+Persian) and it is dumb as a box of rocks. I have to stop that poor cat from getting itself harmed all the time, and the sad thing is it loves to go outside. Has been awhile since I have let him outside even though he stands at the glass door meowing loudly to be taken out on the leash. Cats are something else that is for sure.

Sieggie
April 12th, 2012, 07:22
Not a good idea to kill Black Racers as they eat poisonous snakes. They are harmless to your cat an will usually flee when encountered. If you corner one they will strike at you in defense. They are not constrictors. As you can see they are thin and fast not fat and powerful. Just scoot them out and they will be on their way.

Dave

cheezyflier
April 12th, 2012, 12:57
true, alot of snakes are very important to keeping real pests in check.

TeaSea
April 12th, 2012, 16:28
Welcome to Florida. I have one of these living in my garage. We've actually become buddies, and I swear he doesn't even react to me any more, even though I've picked him up and tossed him in the woods several times.

Really creeps the wife out though.

Maybe that's why I let him hang around.

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2012, 16:33
I am not the least scared of black snakes. My sister, however, is terrified. She sent me all sorts of links to companies that sell "snake repellent". I told her it is a complete waste of money. Like you said, black snakes are a good thing!!!

NC

Ferry_vO
April 13th, 2012, 04:10
Really creeps the wife out though.

Maybe that's why I let him hang around.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Snakes like this black racer, king snakes and corn snakesare great to get rid of mice and rats! Better keep the copperheads, coral snakes and rattle snakes out though! (Which ever species you have in Florida..)

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2012, 10:46
Seems like I read recently that black racers kill other snakes. So perhaps it might be a "blessing" of sorts to have this fellow around???

Pete

Sieggie
April 13th, 2012, 17:35
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Snakes like this black racer, king snakes and corn snakes are great to get rid of mice and rats! Better keep the copperheads, coral snakes and rattle snakes out though! (Which ever species you have in Florida..)

I think we have Cotton Mouths instead of Copper Heads but definitely have the other two.

We were sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner and saw the dogs (little Papillions) looking at something in the living room. Got up to see what it was and a 3 ft red rat snake was curled up between the two dogs. My wife had gone to the store earlier that day and left the front door open to carry in the groceries and the snake thought it was a good idea to hide in the nice dark area inside the house to get out of the sun. It was starting to get dark and the snake was coming out to start a night of hunting. Red Rats climb trees and hunt at night. They sleep all day normally. We have lots of vegetation in the back yard so out he went into the big oak tree.

Dave