PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply question

Lionheart
December 23rd, 2008, 22:20
Hey guys,

I purchased a 550W power supply earlier today. Installed it this afternoon. Boot up the computer, fine.. 3rd Reboot, nothing... Dead. No power. I had removed the side to check some cards (looking at them), then refitted power cable, and nada, no power.

None of the capacitors are popped (domed up). No smell of hot wires. And it had worked fine before.

I looked around on the box, switch is on, etc.

I purchased it at Fry's Electronics. I wonder if perhaps I just got a bad unit. I dont know how or what I could have done to it. All the plugs are in, etc... Absolutely no power at all.

Power strip is a pretty significant thing. Its all in the greed. Cord looks good (like new), and I moved the plug to different sockets.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Bill

Lionheart
December 23rd, 2008, 23:39
Looks like I toasted my Mobo.

:d

Third unit in one year.

Oh well. Could be worse.

Bill

hey_moe
December 24th, 2008, 02:48
Sorry to hear something like that. 550 is a tad bit on the low end side for a power supply. What were ya running in your system...Mike

Dain Arns
December 24th, 2008, 04:17
A general complaint here. Nothing seems to be built as good as it used to. I've had more HD's, mobo's, and power supplies go out in the past year than I ever have had in the past. Lost a power supply to the computer I keep all my music on last weekend. :kilroy:

Terry
December 24th, 2008, 05:57
Looks like I toasted my Mobo.

:d

Third unit in one year.

Oh well. Could be worse.

Bill

The minimum for a modern PC is 750w, add a few extras and you need 1kw. Too big won't hurt a thing, too small will.

waco
December 24th, 2008, 06:15
To select a new power supply, go to jonnyguru.com and read the bench checks to help you decide which. I lost one just recently and didn't want to replace it with an identical one. My son, who's been in the computer business for years, put me onto the site. I bought a Corsair. I have yet to finnish the rebuild. Just received a new CPU yesterday.

Lionheart
December 24th, 2008, 06:18
Hey guys,

Roger that. I thought 550W was huge, lol... Old one was 300W, and the computer is not a year old.

Now I know.

I wonder if the PSU cooked it? Thats the only thing I can think that happened. Very wierd.

Moe, I had powered down, unplugged the exterior plugins, looked in the box for info, plugged it back in, dead.... Nothing big. No noises or anything. Dead.

I switched back the older PSU and it was still dead. I rechecked all plugs, cards in sockets, etc. Nada.

So its a mystery. Crazy stuff.

Thanks for your input though. Good to know. I think I am bad news for working on my own computer. This seems to be a trend I have established.

Bill

NCGent
December 24th, 2008, 06:55
Hey Bill

The PC I'm on now, Ted and I built early this year. We went through I dont know how many parts that were purchased bad, did not work and even some I screwed up. The was electronics are now, they should give you a backup with every purchase.

Hope ya get things worked out.

Chris

Snuffy
December 24th, 2008, 07:08
Yeah I was going to say, 550 sounds a little light with today's computers. When buying one of these things always go for the biggest you can get.

:wavey:

Oh! As a side note ... the only thing I know about electricity, is: Its all blue smoke. You let the blue smoke out and electrical circuits don't work any more.

hey_moe
December 24th, 2008, 09:33
Bill I hate to tell ya this but everyone of us who had built computers have burnt hardware up in our system. The way they build stuff in this day and time is nuthin more than a joke. It can drive ya nuts trying to figure out what went wrong and why. I like buying name brand hardware. I have never had any luck with the others....Mike

aeronca1
December 24th, 2008, 10:11
Bill, before you pull the motherboard, pull and reseat the memory. This has worked for me in the past, and since the system did boot, it could be that all the movement has caused the memory, or another card to work it's way out of it's slot. Try the memory sticks and the vid card, two of the most common culprits.

Lionheart
December 24th, 2008, 10:20
Thanks guys for the tips.

Aeronca,

The fourth time, it was dead. No click, no power, nothing. Totally dead.

Thanks Moe for that bit of 'computer builders trivia'. I must have stared at the box and motherboard for an hour and a half last night, wondering what happened. Cant believe it. It was running fine, lol...

arrghh...

That 8 core Apple tower is looking interesting right now. Expensive, but interesting. I dont know if I should get a new Mobo or try a new computer. Man, right on Christmas eve, lol... Not the best timing. Thank the Lord for my backup Laptop with.....

WIN XP!

wooooooo hooooooooo.....

Willy
December 24th, 2008, 19:06
Talk about bad luck! Hope you can get it sorted out Bill.

I'm running a 450W, but then this comp is going on 7 years old too.