PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim C-5 Galaxy. Will it work in FSX?

Navy Chief
October 3rd, 2008, 04:47
Before I try porting it, just hoping someone already has, and can tell me.

Thanks.

NC

noddy
October 3rd, 2008, 04:50
I seem to remember when the Alpha forums were up, there was a post with the C-5 in FSX. Not sure if there were any problems though.

RodgerC130
October 3rd, 2008, 06:21
NavyChief,
I found a FSX C-5 here:

http://home.comcast.net/~fsx/

However, I cannot seem to get the guages installed. I have followed the instructions but just can't seem to get them installed. I'm not installing the radar. If you download it and get the guages to work please let me know. I am really interested in this as I am a C-5 flight engineer at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
Rodger

Navy Chief
October 3rd, 2008, 06:43
Thanks Rodger, I'll look into this. By the way, years ago (as in the late 70s) I went through the USAF's Egress School, then located at Chanute AFB. I know that school has relocated to another AFB, but I need to contact that school to see if they still sell custom Egress Tech patches. I had one from Chanute, but it was stolen, and have never been able to locate another one like it. It had a pilot on an ejection seat, and the words, "Last Chance For Life" was printed on the patch too.

Thanks.

NC

Lateral-G
October 3rd, 2008, 06:51
It works fine in FSX/SP2. I have it loaded and taken quite a few flights with it. No issues that I know of.

I have some screenies at home and will post later if you want.

-G-

Warrant
October 3rd, 2008, 07:39
Same here. I run FSX with accellerator, no problems whatsoever.:jump:

RodgerC130
October 3rd, 2008, 07:59
I'm running acceleration also. The radar is optional right? I have tried everything and cant seem to get the guages to work. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, Rodger

Warrant
October 3rd, 2008, 08:17
I'm running acceleration also. The radar is optional right? I have tried everything and cant seem to get the guages to work. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, Rodger

If you refer to the small WX rdr , it works fine as well. Did you put the C-5 gauges folder (zipped) in the FSX gauges folder?

When loading the C-5, do you get error-messages regarding the a/c or the gauges?

The WX rdr needs to be switched on manually once in DVC mode.

RodgerC130
October 3rd, 2008, 08:45
Warrant,
I did put the C-5 guages folder (Zipped) in the FSX gauges folder and it didn't work.
I even tried unzipping them and putting them in and that didn't work. Don't know what Im doing wrong. Maybe I'll remove it and try starting all over again. Thanks for your help.
Rodger
I also found another one here. Nice cockpit but it's not VC.

http://www.freewebs.com/fsnl/fsxdownloads.htm

I also got no error messages as I was loading the files

Warrant
October 3rd, 2008, 08:57
Do you get error-messages whileloading the aircraft in FSX?

Are the gauges loaded but non-responsive, or do they not load at all (e.g. black or empty spaces in the DVC)?

Is this the fact for all gauges or just a few?

Just to analyze the problem.....

RodgerC130
October 3rd, 2008, 14:26
Warrant,
Thanks for your troubleshooting questions.
1) I get no error messages when loading the a/c or guages
2) The guages don't load at all, they are all empty spaces
3) It is all guages that will not load.
Thanks for your help, Hope to get the problem resolved so I can start flying. Actually I did fly around the pattern and it flys very well. Just is much easier with a cockpit that works.
Thanks,
Rodger

Warrant
October 3rd, 2008, 15:49
Warrant,
Thanks for your troubleshooting questions.
1) I get no error messages when loading the a/c or guages
2) The guages don't load at all, they are all empty spaces
3) It is all guages that will not load.
Thanks for your help, Hope to get the problem resolved so I can start flying. Actually I did fly around the pattern and it flys very well. Just is much easier with a cockpit that works.
Thanks,
Rodger

Seems the model does not find or communicates with the ALPHA_C-5.cab in the gauges folder in FSX. This gauges folder or cabinet must remain packed and have the exact name ALPHA_C-5 or ALPHA_C-5.cab (depending on your explorer settings, and might have a WinZip or WinRar icon), and be placed directly in your FSX gauges folder. That should do the trick (unless the folder is corrupted, but you already mentioned you could unpack the file).
If you are running FSX under Windows Vista you might want to consider to run FSX with admin rights enabled.

Go to Start and Games, browse for your FSX icon and rightclick. Now select Costumize. In the new window highlight the top line reading Play(Play) and select Edit. Now select the tab Compatibility and check the box Run this program as an administrator and apply.

Now FSX can do business with all it's components in and outside the program with admin privileges. Perhaps this will help as well. :wavey:

Butcherbird17
October 3rd, 2008, 16:15
Have you tried just putting the cab file into the panel folder? FSX will see the gauges and/or cab files in either the main gauges folder or the panel folder of parent aircraft.

Joe

deathfromafar
October 3rd, 2008, 20:44
I just migrated my Alphasim C-5 over and it works fine with the gauge cab file in the gauges folder. Being this is an older FS9 release, it doesn't have all the FSX native perks to it and it seems to suffer a little in the frame rates in my set up.

tigisfat
October 3rd, 2008, 23:28
I've used it in FSX as well. The only problem I can see is the flight modelling. It doesn't carry enough thrust at low throttle settings to taxi realistically, and it makes it a bear to land. This won't affect it working in FSX, and it's actually a characteristic of older Alphasim models. If you enjoy it though, more power to you!! Personally, I wouldn't buy it specifically for FSX use though.

deathfromafar
October 3rd, 2008, 23:40
I've used it in FSX as well. The only problem I can see is the flight modelling. It doesn't carry enough thrust at low throttle settings to taxi realistically, and it makes it a bear to land. This won't affect it working in FSX, and it's actually a characteristic of older Alphasim models. If you enjoy it though, more power to you!! Personally, I wouldn't buy it specifically for FSX use though.

I'd have to agree with that. I took immediate notice the points you mention. Seems like the Engine RPM curve is way off in the airfile and coinciding with that is that the engine sounds are not going to full RPM range at medium to full throttle settings.

RodgerC130
October 6th, 2008, 14:34
Hey, finally got the cockpit to work. After I flew it you all were right. Very lethargic at low airspeeds. Unrealistic to climb out at 250 -300 kts. Thanks for the help all. Appreciate it.
Rodger