PDA

View Full Version : It may well be the future flight sim.

ramjet
April 6th, 2012, 15:10
Thanks for starting this forum.

I've seen a lot of common sense evident on this forum and I think it will prove helpful.

I haven't expected to make a change like this anytime soon but P3D is available as an academic learning program for $49 currently. That lowered price coupled with the strong endorsement from the Orbx team was enough to convince me this is where our hobby is going. I purchased a copy and plan to install it soon and see for myself

I am still happily using FSX and plan to convert to P3D once I feel confident to make the move. As I understand it, most P3D users are finding complete compatibility with FSX files and getting better performance in P3D.

I look forward to sharing my experiences as I venture forth in a strange new world.

good flights, Cal

Lionheart
April 6th, 2012, 19:43
Many thanks Cal.

As a developer, this was really good news, the reduction of the price of P3D. Also, LM plan to continually improve the code of the platform. It is planned to jump from version 1 to version 2 next year (one years time), so that is growth in the sim that is planned...

In the mean time, P3D are accepting 'advice' for updates and requests for future versions of P3D, so feel free to ask away over at their website ( www.prepare3d.com ) and ask for a request from the team. I think they are probably heavily burdened with trying to get weapons going, etc, etc, etc.

Fun times! Thank you Lockheed Martin!

Bill
LHC

kjb
April 6th, 2012, 21:33
I don't think there's any doubt that it's the future. For those of us who never quite warmed up to X-Plane, this is the most promising development we've seen in years. SP2 solved some FSX issues and created others. That seemed to be the end of development.

Along comes M$ with Flight <ugh>. It looked bleak at best. I'm thinking about taking up bowling or chess.

I don't know that many of us saw P3D with LM coming. It was one of those surprises that left my jaw on the floor, in a good way :)

With V1.3, we have some baby steps. They're improving it over FSX. Who knows where they'll take it, but the fact that they're continuing development is certainly a light at the end of that dark tunnel. Taking a program this old to a new level has to be a daunting task, but they're doing it.

Gdavis101
April 7th, 2012, 14:21
I am quite happy with P3D and I think it is going to have great future given its continued support by LM.