PDA

View Full Version : calfire radio traffic,sacramento area...

Daveroo
April 6th, 2012, 08:12
if you are in the sacramento area,or north or it,there is some interresting radio traffic going on "air to air" on 122.925 ....the air tankers are doing prctice runs and working with the air attack planes ,it sounds like they are in the georgetown practie area.they are making accual drops...not dry runs,they are talking about drift and accuracy,ect...talking about how it seemed to "tie that run in well to the top end"....if i didnt know better,id say they were working a fire,one tanker just got a "load and return" order from airattack..well shoot as i type they just said they were finished..was tanker 83,,chuck and bill were pilot names...air attack pilot said see ya on the ground for debrief...was alot of fun to listen too..

stansdds
April 7th, 2012, 03:49
No radio traffic like that in my neck of the woods (central Virginia). And whenever there is a fire, the fire department switches all traffic to secure channels so civilians and unauthorized persons cannot listen.

Daveroo
April 7th, 2012, 09:02
huh...well there are several channels to listen to here,air to ground,air to air,..its not against the law to listen here....if you were to go and interfear while listening..you'd get in big trouble...but listening to the "action" is not against the law...and i see nothing wrong with it...it can be very entertaining at times..local law enforcement (here in california anyway) have "scramblers" and it is against the law to have a de-scrambler..they call it "going code"..but even that went away with cell phones and mobile "in car internet"....not sure what else to call that....but 99% of the LE vehicles and many fire vehicles now have built in computers or laptops.....if they dont want us to know something..they use digital means...

but back to the point.....in this area,during fire season..CalFire normally uses "blue air" 151.280 and its very entertaining..especailly when hoser is flying....he is normally very calm and cool..but his hackles can get up when another pilot doesnt do as he see's fit...or if the fire "jumps the line"....that seems to really irritate him...lol