PDA

View Full Version : Prepar3D forum

Roger
April 6th, 2012, 04:18
Welcome to our new Lockheed Martin Prepar3D forum! Lionheart is the moderator and let's give him all the help we can:applause:

The Prepar3D website for information is here http://www.prepar3d.com/

As much of the product will have been made for FsX originally We'd like to keep the new releases in the FsX forum but information about P3D installers, problems installing product and general questions about compatibility etc. should be in the P3D forum.

Hope you P3Ders enjoy it :engel016:

big-mike
April 6th, 2012, 06:20
Great news,Roger!:jump:
Thank you very much for opening a new forum about P3D.
Good to see Bill here,i think that he´s da man for all about P3D.
Michael

robert41
April 6th, 2012, 16:40
Thanks Ickie, Roger and everyone.

Lionheart
April 6th, 2012, 19:17
Dommo arrigatto, Ickie-sahn!

:D

luckydog
April 6th, 2012, 20:27
:applause::applause::applause:

Francois
April 7th, 2012, 04:33
Not so happy Bill running the forum, actually....... :kilroy:

He should not waste his time here but spend it on building his wonderful aircraft !!!! :icon_lol:

Hah! Gotcha there !!

Seriously, good to see a P3D forum here... saves me from having to go to other places, since I have no time EITHER ! :wavey:

gigabyte
April 9th, 2012, 13:18
saves me from having to go to other places, since I have no time EITHER ! :wavey:

Yeah right Francois, you look so busy in that Advar, but I suppose someone has to keep the inflatable chair from floating out of da pool...lol. Now back to work to you and Bill we need to see a couple of new aircraft for P3d by friday - that is a couple from each of you, oh and I will be counting rivets, 1, 2, 3, and another and another and another, just like they taught me in reform school...:running:

OK Seriously, it is wonderful to see a new forum for P3D and especially the interest it is getting already, I am going to have to spring for it myself before the week is out and will no doubt be on here with lots of dumb questions, so get ready Bill cuz I will be asking :)

Roger
April 9th, 2012, 13:31
Seriously, good to see a P3D forum here... saves me from having to go to other places, since I have no time EITHER ! :wavey:

You're welcome Francois:ernae: It will be interesting to see where P3D will take us, especially as some of the Aces team are amongst the LM staff.
I'm not running P3D myself yet because I'm waiting until I build a new pc (hopefully sometime this year) when FsXA, P3D and Flight will have a hardware environment where hopefully they can all excel.

Francois
April 9th, 2012, 22:15
Mike, you have NO IDEA how difficult it is to keep that chair upright !!!!! It takes a real expert to float it that way, with no hands !!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

kjb
April 11th, 2012, 19:27
Didn't see the pool at first. I thought you'd just won a wet tee shirt contest <G,D,R>

Francois
April 12th, 2012, 00:00
I thought you'd just won a wet tee shirt contest <G,D,R>

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: THAT would be the day !

Navy Chief
April 26th, 2012, 09:13
I am downloading Prepar3D now. Looking forward to installing it!

NC

Lionheart
April 26th, 2012, 09:17
I am downloading Prepar3D now. Looking forward to installing it!

NC

Welcome aboard NC! Hope you enjoy it. It is different in many respects to FSX. The interface is different, etc.

Be sure to read how to install the package once you get all three packages downloaded. There is a precise order to getting it all unzipped and ready to install.

Bill
LHC

Navy Chief
April 26th, 2012, 11:05
Be sure to read how to install the package once you get all three packages downloaded. There is a precise order to getting it all unzipped and ready to install.

Thanks for the advice, Bill. I am about 68% downloaded on the first file. Definitely will take some time to get all three, eh? No problem. Time is all I have!

Pete

luckydog
April 26th, 2012, 11:47
Thanks for the advice, Bill. I am about 68% downloaded on the first file. Definitely will take some time to get all three, eh? No problem. Time is all I have!

Pete

Way to go Pete !!!!! Welcome !!!

LD

Navy Chief
April 27th, 2012, 05:09
Good news/bad news.

Finally got all three huge files downloaded, and commenced installation. About 5 minutes into it, I received an error, saying "Data Cab 11 missing" or something like that.

But which of the large files has Data Cab 11 in it?

Has anyone else had similar errors?

Grrrrr.....

NC

luckydog
April 27th, 2012, 06:09
Hey Bill.......

I've reinstalled twice without having that problem.............
I don't have the slightest !!
Check out the P3B sight/forum/support listed in first thread above.

Navy Chief
April 27th, 2012, 12:29
I am in contact with someone at the Prepar3d forum. Suggestion made to download a program that compares values or original file to the downloaded one. All three matched. I am in the process of re-downloading #2. If that is not the affected file, well......this is frustating.

NC

Lionheart
April 27th, 2012, 15:06
Hey NC,

I am sure thats what it is if that error came up. Downloading such huge files, you cant always get them fully perfect. I am amazed that some things I download ever do make it perfect. I am always thinking some fragment of data is not there, etc.

It would be nice to have something that says 'yes, everything in this file is present and 100% right.'

Navy Chief
April 27th, 2012, 15:07
Almost finished downloading that file. Will report back.....NC

Navy Chief
April 27th, 2012, 17:04
Well, I managed to get the sim loaded. Just took the Mooney for a short takeoff, and landing.

First problem I am encountering, is although the sim recognizes I have my CH pedals hooked up, it isn't allowing me to assign rudder access to it, and the brakes aren't working either.

NC

Lionheart
April 27th, 2012, 18:53
Well, I managed to get the sim loaded. Just took the Mooney for a short takeoff, and landing.

First problem I am encountering, is although the sim recognizes I have my CH pedals hooked up, it isn't allowing me to assign rudder access to it, and the brakes aren't working either.

NC

Congrats on getting it running!

You'll get it all tuned and working. I had to up-click my brakes a notch to get them working. My Saitek was on the first notch, needed to be on second notch setting in Controls/Assignments

Naismith
April 27th, 2012, 22:34
Since I got this damnable Logitech 940 FCS, the only way I have been able to get a satisfactory setup was to assign most of the inputs via FSUIPC. I think you have to have the licenced i.e. paid version to be able to do this. It is a godsend, thank you Pete Dowson. The worst were the pedals which I could never get properly calibrated.
Took a bit of time but worth it in the end.

Lionheart
April 28th, 2012, 00:02
Since I got this damnable Logitech 940 FCS, the only way I have been able to get a satisfactory setup was to assign most of the inputs via FSUIPC. I think you have to have the licenced i.e. paid version to be able to do this. It is a godsend, thank you Pete Dowson. The worst were the pedals which I could never get properly calibrated.
Took a bit of time but worth it in the end.

Just let the team know. I think they need some input, a bit of help, to iron things out. Getting a sim running these days, I can imagine, is a huge task. All these new joysticks coming out, etc...

Bill

italoc
September 30th, 2012, 07:25
Hi guys (Hi Bill, in particular:wavey:)
I've just re-installed the Dynamic from Lionheart in my P3D v. 1.4 and I'm not able to start the engine !! :isadizzy:
And what puzzles me is that everything was working properly in the previous v.1.3 ....
Any suggestions ? (BTW nothing else changed in my Windows 7 64K)
Italo

Lionheart
September 30th, 2012, 11:24
Hey Italoc,

I wager a bet that you are starting with another planes cold and dark adn trying to start with this plane. They Dynamic must have a switch that your other plane doesnt have.

To prove this, open the saved FLT file with Notepad and roam down through it. Electrical section will show 'something' that is 'False'. Change that to True and it should start.

Using other planes to set up a cold and dark with will almost always cause this. Some planes do not have master battery switches, Avionics switches, firewall fuel cut-off levers, etc. Also custom L:Var codes that manage aircraft controls will also sometimes cause things to go wrong.

Another thing to do is go back into that other plane, start it all up, all switches running, then go back into the Dynamic (in that flight) and shut it all down again, but this time in the Dynamic, save, reboot the scene, and now it should start.

Bill

italoc
September 30th, 2012, 12:52
Thanks Bill
You won your bet: I owe you a beer !!!:applause:
Everything back to normal :salute:
Ciao
Italo

Lionheart
September 30th, 2012, 15:56
Awesome!

:salute:

ananda
December 4th, 2012, 05:17
The Prepar3D website for information is here http://www.prepar3d.com/

The link no longer works :banghead:

Roger
December 4th, 2012, 09:15
The link no longer works :banghead:

Just tried it ananda and it worked for me?

ananda
December 4th, 2012, 09:57
Yes, it is working now.

Quote:
"Technical difficulties happen to the best of us …. And we’re no exception, unfortunately.
The Prepar3D® website experienced a server outage on December 2 during which website registration, the Prepar3D store and the support forums were inaccessible. In restoring the site, any information added from December 2 through December 4 was not able to be retrieved. If you registered at the website for the first time or posted to the forums during this period, please accept our humblest apology."

George

andersel
April 6th, 2013, 22:19
I've been flying FS9 ever since God created it but I've also been watching the way that the wind has been blowing for the last few years. I dabbled in FSX for a short while and found it to be, well, let's just call it unsatisfactory.

I am currently on the cusp of deciding to invest myself, both emotionally and financially, in Prepar3D. My current rig runs FS9 just fine. I want to make some upgrades so that it will also perform adequately while running P3D. What are the minimum hardware requirements needed to make this happen? I have read the basic information in what's needed, but I would like the opinion(s) of people who actually use the sim and have found what works well for them. I have a few ducats to invest in this so I want, at least, a little more than a "bare bones" rig.

Looking forward to your input.

LA

Actually, the real reason I want to do all of this is so that I can fly Bill's Pace & Tri-Pacer.:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

TheGrunt
April 7th, 2013, 04:33
To get P3D to run as well as possible, you need same specs for the computer as for FSX. Of course everything depends on the addons you are going to use and using only default P3D isn't that big of a problem, but when you start to add complex planes, AI traffic, heavy scenery and HD texutres, you can literally bring down on its knees every single normal desktop PC there is available even with top of the line hardware costing thusands of bucks. So, limitations are also the same, and the software is really CPU bound because of the poor multithreading. Many FSX tweaks are also usable for P3D, some aren't needed anymore. P3D still works, at least for me, a lot better than FSX.

If upgrading solely for P3D, I'd probably go with Intel 3550K or 3770K, get good enough cooling so I could take the CPU to or over 4.5GHz. P3D is 32-bit program, so it can't utilize VAS more than 4GB, but of course other programs in the backround use memory also. Memory is cheap, so at least 8GB and that should do just fine. SSDs are also getting quite cheap, so I'd consider perhaps one ~250GB SSD for it, depending on the amount of addons. SSD mainly shortens the loading times. With the CPU, graphics card is the most important component. If on tight budget, you could find for a fairly cheap price GTX480, 570 or 580 card, which are still good for P3D/FSX. If looking for a new card, then I'd go with GTX660ti at minimum all the way to new Geforce Titan, which is 1000 bucks, but the best you can get for P3D now.

Lionheart
April 7th, 2013, 09:30
My advice to you is, try it for 30 days. Only $10.00. Sign up for the one month only plan for Developers. This gives you 30 days to see if it runs on your machine.

I had an old 2 core computer and it ran FS9 awesome! I couldnt run FSX on it. I ran P3D on it just before quitting all FSX development and going fully to X-Plane, and found that P3 ran awesome on my computer (16+ FPS).

I found that getting a super fast computer with 16 Gigs of RAM, high output quad core, fast GC with 2 gigs of RAM didnt help much. I am up to 36 FPS now, but still dips down to 15FPS and sometimes lower, and thats in P3D and thats in ORBX sceneries, which in FSX on my old rig, it could not run it. And P3 even stumbled on ORBX scenery with alot of settings lowered. But.............! I didnt have to buy a new computer to run P3D.

So.... I urge you, if you cannot afford a new computer like I couldnt, then try P3D. Let us know what you think. See if you like it. Try those tuning tricks for it after you get it running, the AVSIM famous tuning tricks, and that will speed it up even more.

I was so amazed at how much was in the FSX world that P3D offers. P3D is so dang amazing. It is so far advanced over FS9. Sadly, I never knew this as it (my computer) could just not run FSX.

Note that FSX and P3D are presently only 32bit programs, and they really need to be 64bit. This is why super computers make very little different in performance. Very few people can run FSX or P3D at 100 FPS. Very very very few....

TheGrunt
April 7th, 2013, 10:06
Note that FSX and P3D are presently only 32bit programs, and they really need to be 64bit. This is why super computers make very little different in performance. Very few people can run FSX or P3D at 100 FPS. Very very very few....
Whether program is 32-bit or 64-bit, it doesn't in many cases (like games and most other end user or consumer programs) get one bit of extra power being 64-bit. What it gains, is it can handle 64-bit registers, thus having 8TB of theoretical memory space versus 4GB of 32-bits. That's about it. 64-bit isn't magical game changer which is changing everything to fluid, fast and smooth experience. It really isn't.

One can clearly get more performance with FSX, P3D or pretty much any software if the computational power improves. There is no question about it. Question is, how much one is willing to invest in it and in the end it gets very expensive at some point and gains start to be small. Hardware I mentioned is something that people tend to buy for their simming or gaming rigs. Of course you can do with less, too and Lionheart is right that many people use these sims with lesser hardware happily.

Also, one can also use computer for some other purposes too, which may weigh the choices differently. Benefits of top-of-the line hardware also depend on your settings in P3D and addons you run. For example, I got noticable improvment when I changed from i7 920@3,9GHz to i7 3930K@4.6GHz. Improvement was lesser when changing from overclocked GTX480 to GTX670, but still noticable and it is pretty impossible to get any graphics errors with GTX670 even with BP=0 setting. But I didn't change my hardware just for FSX or P3D, so choices may vary.

andersel
April 8th, 2013, 13:14
Okay, so here's the deal. My current FS9 rig is pretty basic:

DELL XPS 630

Intel Core Duo (2.6ghz)

4gb RAM

nvidia GT9800 graphics card

40gb SSD (O/S)

2tb WD HD (FS +)

As I said before, this rig runs FS9 just fine (ie to my satisfaction).

What I am looking for are recommendations as to how I can upgrade this (current) system so that it will run both FS9 AND P3D. My MAX budget is $1000.

I am NOT a tech guy. Due to my disabilities I have to have my computer work done by someone else.

Thanks, in advance, for your guidance. I greatly appreciate everything you all have said to this point. :salute:

LA

CG_1976
April 8th, 2013, 17:00
What is your current OS and might want to step up on the Graphics card into say the GTX220 1gig range. Your specs are similar to my backup computer which runs FS9 and Prepar3D excellent.

andersel
April 10th, 2013, 11:54
What is your current OS and might want to step up on the Graphics card into say the GTX220 1gig range. Your specs are similar to my backup computer which runs FS9 and Prepar3D excellent.

My O/S is Windows 7 Home Premium. Will that make a difference?

Francois
April 10th, 2013, 12:08
My 9800 didn't 'pull' FSX 6 years ago, so I think that's your main bottleneck. And those Dell chips of course...... hard to 'upgrade' anything on Dell's .... YMMV.

Windows 7 is not a problem.

andersel
April 16th, 2013, 17:40
I am having some upgrades done to my FS rig this week.

New MOBO
i5 quad core CPU
8gb DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTX 640 GPU w/4gb memory

Replacing the 80gb ssd with a new 500mb WD HD.

It is certainly not the mega-Beast that Matt is having built, but given what I've been told by you guys, it should run FS9 and P3D without problems.

Any comments and/or advice?

LA

Spad54
April 29th, 2013, 06:40
Just installed P3D to assess compatibility of our products and was very pleased to see that they seem totally compatible. I spent a few hours tooling around flying down the Hudson to NYC and back to KPOU. It seems very nice and worth keeping. My only concern so far is if there is any way for the Sim to start at a flight selection window as opposed to entering in the Mooney. I could not find any options to do that. Is that the nominal start up?

Lionheart
April 29th, 2013, 11:49
Hey Spad,

You would either start from that point, or change your default flight.

You can also save flights, then in the default flight, load your saved flight.

Another way is to access saved flights through Windows if P3D is in your Start menu. In Windows 7, it has a side panel where you can select your last 10 saves in P3D.

Yet another way is to download SimLauncher, made for P3D and FSX. It opens into a quick, fast program setup window and lets you set up planes and locations, load flights, etc.

And yet still another way is to simply save flights, and open them directly via clicking on the FLT flight file, where ever your flghts are saved, and boot up directly and quickly into the saved flight.

I stopped using SimLaunch and now use the Windows Start menu flights access from there.

When P3D launch version 2.0, I believe they may have their new start menu running. This is only a rumor. I do not know if its true. I know they are studying doing this and intend to come out with one because so many users are requesting one.

Bill

andersel
July 8th, 2013, 18:26
Any of you P3Ders out there have any knowledge about the use of the Flight Replicas Super Cub in Prepar3D? I haven't gotten P3D installed and running yet, but when I do I would like to have the FR PA-18 on board.

LA

AussieMan
July 8th, 2013, 22:10
I have the FR Super Cub in P3D and it works ok. Matter of fact 99% of FSX aircraft work in P3D.

andersel
July 9th, 2013, 16:17
Thanks for the info, AussieMan. And now the process continues!

andersel
July 13th, 2013, 21:56
... those of us that do not currently (and have never wanted to) have FSX installed? I am planning to do clean installs of both FS9 and P3D on my newly upgraded desktop 'puter. Is there going to be a problem with Prepar3D running all on it's lonesome (i.e. without FSX to link with)?

:eek: LA

Naismith
July 13th, 2013, 23:24
No problems at all, though if you can I would advise not installing in the default places with either sim, for other documented reasons.

andersel
July 14th, 2013, 17:25
Thanks, Naismith. Since I started running Windows 7 on my computers I haven't installed FS9 in the default location. I won't do it with P3D, either.

LA

UnknownGuest12
August 26th, 2013, 16:36
[QUOTE=Lionheart;796413]My advice to you is, try it for 30 days. Only $10.00. Sign up for the one month only plan for Developers. . .
QUOTE]

Hi
Saw it some other day in real 3d with those green.red glasses...a little bit strange but anyway, amazing...
Think maybe, just maybe will buy it but when I see those prices on their page...confusing 199 US? 44?, per month? which one shall I choose to have something equivalent to FSX?
meaning to have a complete program? don´t want to pay every month, want to have full property entitled to future upgradings if free...

thanks, regards

luckydog
August 26th, 2013, 20:30
[QUOTE=Lionheart;796413]My advice to you is, try it for 30 days. Only $10.00. Sign up for the one month only plan for Developers. . .
QUOTE]

Hi
Saw it some other day in real 3d with those green.red glasses...a little bit strange but anyway, amazing...
Think maybe, just maybe will buy it but when I see those prices on their page...confusing 199 US? 44?, per month? which one shall I choose to have something equivalent to FSX?
meaning to have a complete program? don´t want to pay every month, want to have full property entitled to future upgradings if free...

thanks, regards

STOP !! P3D IS NOT 3-D !!! P3D is the same as FSX only better. If you want to use it commercially, it's expensive. I think you would be quite happy with the cheaper version.....NO monthly fee.

Lionheart
August 27th, 2013, 07:48
All of these questions are answered at the Prepar3D website.

We have all nicknamed the sim 'P3D', not 3D. There might be an addon out there called 3D, but its not the same as P3D. ;)

You have 3 (three) versions to get P3D by;
* Monthly (for developers or to try for 30 days, either the revolving montly fee (developers) or one time only 30 day purchase).
* Students; $50.00 USD
* Pro; $199.00 USD

You will get updates for versions up to the 1.9 version if they go up that high. Presently we are at Build 1.4.

The 2.0 version you will need to purchase new again.

No 3D glasses... :( At least not yet. That would be cool. I think (think) that they are calling the new 3D stuff 'Occular Rift' but not sure.

Bill

UnknownGuest12
August 27th, 2013, 15:02
All of these questions are answered at the Prepar3D website.

No 3D glasses... :( At least not yet. That would be cool. I think (think) that they are calling the new 3D stuff 'Occular Rift' but not sure.

Bill

Thanks Bill, very kind of you...
Regarding 3D, talked with my friend and he just told me it has to do with Nvidia Graphic cards...and yes mine is a GTX 670 and has an option to activate stereoscopy 3D, just like he said. E-mailed me 2 3d photos (atached) will try when I get those red and green lenses glasses...but believe me, I saw Prepar3D in real 3d, despite the game is not a real 3d game. He told me that he is able to play several other games in 3D. Nvidia graphics...
Hope this helps...

Best Regards

Pepere
November 30th, 2013, 15:27
Will P3D be offered on CDs at some point?

David

Lionheart
November 30th, 2013, 17:09
Will P3D be offered on CDs at some point?

David

Negative. From what they say, they do not intend to have CD's or DVD's, just the one download service they have.

Regarding 3D, talked with my friend and he just told me it has to do with Nvidia Graphic cards...and yes mine is a GTX 670 and has an option to activate stereoscopy 3D, just like he said. E-mailed me 2 3d photos (atached) will try when I get those red and green lenses glasses...but believe me, I saw Prepar3D in real 3d, despite the game is not a real 3d game. He told me that he is able to play several other games in 3D. Nvidia graphics...
Hope this helps...

Beaufighter

Interesting. Good to know. That sounds like it will be pretty fun.

Pepere
December 1st, 2013, 04:28
thanks for the info on CDs. Guess i'll just have to download it.

David

Lionheart
December 1st, 2013, 13:18
David, you might try a place that has ultra fast download speeds, like a business store that does shipping, faxing, has internet computers. Also colleges usually do as well at the libraries.

Or, just setup to download the 10Gig version, click start, and go to bed. Should be done half way through the night. Mine downloaded in just over an hour. I downloaded in chunks though, the 1 Gig packets.

Navy Chief
December 3rd, 2013, 15:23
My first impressions of P3DV2 are wow!!! The graphics are amazing. I tried moving the FPS slider to unlimited, and it handled 30FPS consistently, with no problems.

The hardest thing so far is getting my Saitek controllers set up. I received Saitek pedals today. Never had them before. I had to move the sensitivity way down for the brakes; also for the elevators, as the aircraft was rocking too much.

I am very impressed so far. Once I am satisfied that my favorite sceneries, aircraft, utilities, etc... will port over, I will be saying adios to FSX!

NC

Pepere
December 6th, 2013, 10:46
I installed P3D on my computer and it did not give me an option as to what drive I wanted it on. It installed it's self on C where FSX is and I want it on K. I have Three SSD drives and only 250GB each - so C drive is now only has 10GB free space. I need it to be on "K"

Any help. I've only rented P3D for one month so I can evaluate it. Wish I could do that with more of the software out there.

I asked this question on P3d forum but I thought here I would get a faster response!!!!!????

David

VCN-1
December 6th, 2013, 11:08
David

There is an option button on one of the opening screens of the P3D2 installer. Choose it and you can change the drive for installation.

I installed mine on the E drive.

VCN-1

Pepere
December 7th, 2013, 12:30
I did get it reinstalled on the drive I wanted, however, it will not install and gives me a list a mile long as to what went wrong. It's too bad, thank God I only got P3D for $10.00 on the one month deal. I will try a couple more times but if it's so fussy I can't install it, it must be really hard to get all addon hardware and software working????? Oh well.

David

Lionheart
December 7th, 2013, 18:33
David,

I wonder if you just overdid the C: drive. Remember to dump the trashcan before running the installer.

Remember, the installer 'did' have the option to install into another drive, and it 'did' work the first time (the sim), so please give it a chance in all fairness. If it were installed the first time into the right location, you might not have been having this issue. Is it possible to uninstall and then go through and find all the sub folders in the User folder system, delete those, then do a nice, clean reinstall?

And remember to dump the trash so that your hard drive is clean... not filled up. And maybe reboot the computer 'before' running the installer so that the cache is also clean.

Pepere
December 8th, 2013, 05:29
I've deleted all the other P3D files and ran a register cleaner before reinstalling on the Drive K. It still did not install correctly - I'll give it a few more tires. It may be because My computer is an AMD? I'll take a picture of the list next time.

Thanks

David

Pepere
December 8th, 2013, 05:55
I was just over to P3D forum, and there are a lot of folks having the same problem that P3d will not install, the sad thing is that the Lockheed Martin people are not responding what so ever. Even if they don't know how to fix it at this point a least they should say they are working on it - if they even care. I guess when they got P3D from MS they also took on their roll as non support to customers.

David

n4gix
December 8th, 2013, 08:23
David, one point should be kept in mind. There is no dedicated "customer support staff" there. We are interacting with the actual programmers/developers themselves.

It is simply not possible for them to respond as "quickly" as we might like to every issue raised.

One other point though that is more critical. Even though you choose to install somewhere other than the C drive, about 11 GBs are required on the C drive for installation regardless. If you do not have enough room on the C drive, then there will be errors during the install process.

Lionheart
December 8th, 2013, 10:59
Im fairly certain I read somewhere that the computer will need 11+ gigs of room to unpack things (in C: drive) to begin building the sim on what ever drive you are loading it to. So you need at least 11+ Gigs of room on C:.

Pepere
December 8th, 2013, 16:41
After uninstalling P3D from Drive "C" I now have 38gb available on C drive and over 200Gb on K drive. I've not been able to try reinstall it again, because I have other tasks going on, like helping the misses out!!!! Next time I do reinstall I'll let you see the report. The third time I did try to reinstalled P3D it was on "K" with 200Gb+ and with 38gb available on "C".. So right now I don't think that would have been the problem.

Okay on the support of P3D, I understand, I guess.

Thanks

David

Pepere
December 10th, 2013, 11:35
Still no luck. Says I don't have admin approval. Too Bad.

David

Lionheart
December 10th, 2013, 14:01
Windows... I hate that.

I googled up how to get rid of the entire administrator thing in Windows 7 and fixed mine of that. Every now and then I get a little whimper, but basically it CANNOT tell ME what to do anymore... .

:D

n4gix
December 11th, 2013, 07:18
In my case since I live entirely alone with zero chance of anyone else accessing my systems, I simply enabled my single logon account to always be "Super Administrator."

Pepere
December 13th, 2013, 10:50
Ya, I have given up with P3d. I'll keep checking back to their forum and here to see if they do anything but for now, by by.

David

gman5250
December 19th, 2013, 21:48
Hey David,

Are you running FSX on the C drive and trying to install P3D on the same drive?

And yeah...I hate the admin lockouts. Since when does a pile of silicon have the right to tell me what I can or cannot do?

I've put FSX on my spinning drive (E) and P3D2 on the SSD (C). I've done quite a few installs of P3D, not because of problems, but I'm doing comparison installs for future reference.

Be sure to go into your hidden files like Program Data and delete the temp files prior to a fresh install. Also AppData/Local/Temp and double check there are no residual Lockheed Martin files.

It's a real bugger when a stray bit of code refuses to leave the building. I'd hate to see you give up on a good sim.
When I did my original download I had a glitch that sent me to the wrong version of P3D. Wess Bard followed up within a few minutes...good service.
Maybe the guys are under a bit of stress from the top over there. Give 'em a bit of slack and see how things work out for you.

Cheers

Pepere
December 20th, 2013, 02:27
Hey David,

Are you running FSX on the C drive and trying to install P3D on the same drive?

And yeah...I hate the admin lockouts. Since when does a pile of silicon have the right to tell me what I can or cannot do?

I've put FSX on my spinning drive (E) and P3D2 on the SSD (C). I've done quite a few installs of P3D, not because of problems, but I'm doing comparison installs for future reference.

Be sure to go into your hidden files like Program Data and delete the temp files prior to a fresh install. Also AppData/Local/Temp and double check there are no residual Lockheed Martin files.

It's a real bugger when a stray bit of code refuses to leave the building. I'd hate to see you give up on a good sim.
When I did my original download I had a glitch that sent me to the wrong version of P3D. Wess Bard followed up within a few minutes...good service.
Maybe the guys are under a bit of stress from the top over there. Give 'em a bit of slack and see how things work out for you.

Cheers

I think I'm cleaning every thing up. I no longer let it do a full install so the installer takes files off the computer. I stop installation after I'm given the bad news. I use a register cleaner and review all areas. I'm trying to install P3D on my "k" drive, FSX is on my "C" drive. Both drives are SSD 250GB each. The OS is on drive "C".

I've change each drive to give me full "Power" over the drives, yet I still get the message that I don't have permission. I think there are still some hidden files that are making it repeat the same problem because when I do let it go all the way I don't have to put the authorization code in before It says I'm not running Dx11. I have a NVIDIA 660 graphics card...??

I sure fell let down that I can't install it...... At the same time I don't want a program that is even more fussy then FSX has been.

Thanks!

David

Lionheart
December 20th, 2013, 07:24
Hey David,

Sorry to hear your woe's... :(

Dang windows sometimes makes me so upset. Updates for this, updates for that. You know that you need the most latest version drivers for any NVidia cards? They had to work with P3D directly and created new drivers just for P3D, so you need that updated (for your NVidia 660). I have the same card. Runs great.

You need to try running that manual installation process that others did. Francois for instance. His wouldn't install and installing the 10 segments manually did the trick for him and many others.

For me, its worked nearly flawlessly. Installed fine the first time, runs great, has hardly crashed, (perhaps 2 times ever), but it has had blacked out windows about 4 or 5 times. But that's it. Running excellent. So, for you, it is possible. You just need to find that obstacle and get through it and you will be up in the blue skies of V2 with HDR, super intense interior shadows, and all the other cool features.

Pepere
December 28th, 2013, 04:46
Thanks for all your help. I tried the 10 installs, and most everything else. Deleted the download of P3D (only had a months use of it anyway) and maybe will try it some other time in the far future......... I think I have everything up to date... Maybe I need a complete reinstallation of my os system and fsx. So it will be a while before I try again.

thanks again.

David

OleBoy
January 4th, 2014, 09:21
To the adjudicators: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84566-A-solution-before-things-get-real-confusing.

italoc
March 28th, 2014, 08:57
Hi everybody:wavey:
I'm going to pose a question to the experts on this forum: why I dont have anymore shadows projected by the airplane on the floor when parked and also when running on the taxiway and the runway ??
I'm running Prepar3D v2 on Windows 8.1 Pro

Italo

AussieMan
March 28th, 2014, 16:15
Start P3D V2 and click on Options\Settings\Display\Lighting\Shadows and tick both boxes for SimObjects. One box is for casting shadows and the other is to receive shadows.

Naismith
March 28th, 2014, 23:04
Not these Shadows I'm guessing
http://youtu.be/EriCZdLjw7o :biggrin-new:

italoc
March 30th, 2014, 06:07
Start P3D V2 and click on Options\Settings\Display\Lighting\Shadows and tick both boxes for SimObjects. One box is for casting shadows and the other is to receive shadows.

this the result:

a big square shadow which follows the airplane while it moves and partially obscures the airplane projected shadow :dizzy:
I've tried almost all combination of cast and received shadows in te display, setting .....
Italo

Mach3DS
March 30th, 2014, 09:57
Untick sim objects cast shadow unless you want buildings etc to cast shadows. You'll notice there are two shadows columns. One for projecting a shadow and one for receiving a shadow. Check the box Terrain receive shadows and and leave the other unchecked. Also increase the resolution on your terrain mesh. I'm having the same issue and this has reduced it by quite a bit. The shadows which control whether your aircraft casts a shadow and receives a shadow are controlled by the first two options in the shadows settings make sure all four boxes are checked. I have those and terrain receive shadow checked and that's it. It's a little buggy still. Also you might want to turn off cloud shadows in your p3d.cfg file.

OR -- you can simply wait and upgrade to version 2.2 which should be released soon which addresses shadow issues among other things.

italoc
March 31st, 2014, 07:51
Untick sim objects cast shadow unless you want buildings etc to cast shadows. You'll notice there are two shadows columns. One for projecting a shadow and one for receiving a shadow. Check the box Terrain receive shadows and and leave the other unchecked. Also increase the resolution on your terrain mesh. I'm having the same issue and this has reduced it by quite a bit. The shadows which control whether your aircraft casts a shadow and receives a shadow are controlled by the first two options in the shadows settings make sure all four boxes are checked. I have those and terrain receive shadow checked and that's it. It's a little buggy still. Also you might want to turn off cloud shadows in your p3d.cfg file.

OR -- you can simply wait and upgrade to version 2.2 which should be released soon which addresses shadow issues among other things.

My settings are as follows:

but still same problem :banghead:
Let's hope v 2.2 would solve this ..... :jump:
Italo