PDA

View Full Version : My Cat is acting odd,,,want to share

Daveroo
April 5th, 2012, 09:50
My Haley is close to 17 now,she started yowling at night a couple months ago..at first i didnt think much of it as she has allways awakened from sleep and yowled/howled,,as if she had just had a nightmare..my ex and her kids treated her ( the cat) horribly when we all lived together and ive allways asumned she "remembers".Haley spends the night on the bed curled up next to me,allways with her body near my arm and on the side im facing...if i roll over..she wakes and gets up and moves to the otherside of the bed to be on the side im facing.well lately,she spends alot of the nights on the recliner in the livingroom..and yowls LOUDLY several times a night.

the other night,i was at my desk,haley asleep on top of the desk next to my keyboard....she woke,,walked across the keys making me backspace an entire paragraph of what i was typing,went to my printer stand and jumped down...walked to her water bowl,,stood there for a few seconds....just stood there...then turned towards the carpeted area infront of the tv,,walked in a circle three times,,then started to walk forward,,,,,and walked nose first into the kitchen cabinet...when she hit...with a thud i might add...her hind end dropped on the floor and she almost fell over.....she regained her composure and looked at me as if it were my fault...and then went on about her business.....then night before last..i came into the rv and she was on top of the back of the recliner..she greeted me with a rousing round of meows....and just walked off the end of the recliner as if it were a flat floor and crashed to the ground....

jesus......just now she came to me....from where i dont know....headbutted my leg...and puked in my shoe.......ive got to go........

Toastmaker
April 5th, 2012, 11:06
Hmm. . . she may have a brain tumor or developing aneurysm contributing to confused acts and uncoordinated movements. Obviously, a case for exam by a Vet.

aeromed202
April 5th, 2012, 13:33
Get her to a vet ASAP. Usually the only way we can tell when something is wrong with our pets or animals is when act out of the ordinary. Since they can't tell us what's going on we can only notice the changes and take them to a vet for help. They can get the same things we can plus other things so it could be an infection, dementia, arthritis, kidney stones, someone leaving out poison, whatever. Just make a trip sooner rather than later so hopefully a diagnosis and treatment can make her comfy again.

Navy Chief
April 5th, 2012, 13:35
The howling, to me, may be an indication she is in pain. It's difficult to watch pets get old, and have such problems.

I hope you can get some answers soon, and that Haley will be better.

NC

Odie
April 5th, 2012, 14:14
Concour with the other posts, Daveroo....vet as soon as possible. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Haley.

Daveroo
April 5th, 2012, 15:40
thanks for the concern guys...im working on finacing..i had a "care credit" account for her health care,but lost it when i had to consolidate my credit,money is tight,and i cant swing it right now...i need to go to my own dr as im having a health problem aswell,i feel guilty as hell for not getting her in to the vet...

aeromed202
April 5th, 2012, 17:01
We can't quite swing recommended meds for our cats either and haven't had them in for shots or check ups for a very long time. We just take them in when we notice a significant behavior change and don't seem to mind the cost too much once they get back on our laps and snuggle.:redface:

yank51
April 5th, 2012, 18:37
Dave,
Yes, I'd say a vet but understand your finances though :( :( To me, it sounds as if she has had a stroke, or something like a tumor. the howling might indeed be a pain response, but the other actions are indicative of a stroke or some sort of pressure on the cat's brain. Cats that old generally have kidney issues (one of the leading causes of their demise). Sorry to say, the vet is your only real answer here....

paiken
April 5th, 2012, 18:40
The yowling your cat is making may just be senility. I also care for a 17 year old cat who began to yowl at night. She had also lost a great deal of weight (at one time she weighed nearly 20 lbs.) When we took her to the vet a couple of months ago we asked about the yowls. We were told that it's pretty common in old cats and may be a sign of senility. After we had her checked out it turned out she has failing kidneys. Now we have to take her in every few weeks for a fluid infusion. She still yowls a couple of times a night, but the vet says it's nothing to worry about. Knowing your financial situation, you might want to call the local humane society to see if they have or know of any programs to help people/animals in your situation. Best of luck with your cat.

Ascua02
April 6th, 2012, 03:10
Hi Daveroo

Talking as a Vet I can see various possibilities in here:

-Brain problem: Stroke would be a small one, behaviuoral changes yes, and some pain but if it is only that, some recovery is possible as other parts of the brain will take over in time (maybe). In this case nothing can be done. If it is a stroke it is likely there will be more (specially given the age), the rub is it can be days or years, you never know. Blood analysis will give a better idea on that front. Brain infection (viral or bacterial) is also possible but then you will have other problems (not eating and/or drinking, lethargy even paralysis, possibly fever). Tumour is also a possibility but it will be difficult to detect other than with a scan.

-Kidney problem: Always possible in an old cat. Observe the cat peeing habits, more, less, not at all, how much when she goes, how often, also drinking habits, more or less than normal. Does the cat smell of urine? that would also be indicative.

-Ear problem: Some infection or infestation in the ear, that would create disorientation, lack of balance, walking in circles, could also explain vomiting (although vomiting in a cat is not worrying unless it is repetitive, several times a day). Do the ears smell? Are they dirty? Is she uncomfortable when you rub them? Head tilted to one side? Continuous scratching of the area? Shaking of the head? Is the area hot? Fever?

-Bumping and falling from places: Given the age it is possible that she is losing vision or cataracts are developping. If it is cataracts you should (maybe) be able to see a blue grey haze or twinge when you look at the eyes.

-Last but not least, it can be something as simple as senility, but unfortunately the treatments for that are only paliative.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help but without seeing and touching the cat that is all I can do, also I have not dealt with clinical work for a while (different speciality). I'm affraid that you need professional help of some kind.

In any case, observe and make her comfortable, if and when she is treated, any information you can give will be very valuable. Don't feel guilty, sometimes we can, sometimes not (it is thight for all of us) and you are the priority at the moment.

Best of luck

Jose Angel

Daveroo
April 6th, 2012, 09:35
thanks to everyone for your replies and concern/help....for now im watching her closely and making notes of her activities....the only time she seems to be in any sort of "stress/distress" is at night,when all the lights are off....like last night..she got off the bed..i could hear her eating from her regular food bowl,,,crunch crunch crunch...then it got quite,,and suddnely she yowled....i called her name...i heard a thunk..and then she showed up next to the bed......i am convinced its a vision thing.....heres why....as ive said numerous times..i live in a 30 foot rv...in reality..its not that big...as i sat on the "potty" last night,i had muted the tv so i could listen to haley just in case...i heard her come up the little steps to the bathroom level..she stood in front of the open bathroom and just faced the bedroom...i said "hi haley" and she jumped...she heard me speak just fine...but i dont think she could see well....she gave a small (normal) meow...then took a couple steps forward and nosed in to the little step up to the bedroom level...bump..and she sort of backed up..and then reached up with her paw..and felt for the top of the step..then jumped up.....then this morning...again..i was on the pot...and she came in and sat between my feet....i was petting her..she was purring away....then as her normal self...she'd had enough and went to leave the bathroom and ran headon into the doorway area where the door closes...not sure what thats called....two and a half inches wide?..maybe 3"..has the striker plate for the door latch...part of the wall...anyway..she just walked into that...nose first...then sort of felt her way around it and went on into the livingroom..

as far as her bathroom needs......i use arm n hammer clumping stuff......the urine "balls" are pretty much a constant size...( ive watched that for years) and she has a bowel movement at 7 pm ( give or take a few minutes) everynight....she is extremely regular.....i wish i was as regular as she is...lol....she has a good apitite and drinks fine...ive been "playing" around at night with her hearing.....i have my tv on..and my trusty police scanner.....i have them at a lower volumne than i used to...but i let her lay there for awhile..be real quite...then i talk to her in a low voice while there is alot of activity.....she wont look at me as a rule...BUT her tail begins to wag and she will purr loud enough i can hear her......as a note...i do this as she is on the printer near me...

bac to her vision...ive noticed the past few days...her eyes dont dialate as they used to....the center doesnt become the little slit like it used to in brite light..just stays as a large round disc....

aeromed202
April 6th, 2012, 09:47
Glad to hear the plumbing and eating seem OK. Disturbances of either of those usually mean something's not right. It might indeed be a sight problem. I can't imagine how that would affect a cats demeanor but it must be perplexing or downright frightening.

yank51
April 6th, 2012, 11:20
Dave,
From your further description of her behavior, I'd say she has lost a good deal of her vision, and is either scared because of that, and could have pain issues for other things. the bumping into things, the missteps, etc. sound like a vision problem. AND, you ssaid her eyes don't dilate/constrict with the light, so there is pretty much your answer. You could try and leave a light on (nightlight type) so that she can get back in with you after eating a bit. Sounds like you have the bathroom thing in hand, so I'd just say her kidneys are functioning OK (they urinate a bunch and quite frequently when their kidneys go. I've had 2 cats that had this issue). best of luck with her, but she sounds like she has had a good life, and you've treated her well. She's a lucky cat....

Ascua02
April 6th, 2012, 16:16
OK Daveroo

I think you nailed it.

The fact that the pupiles do not react in strong light (become slits) means one of two things:
-There is some hormonal imbalance affecting the eyes which is extremely unlikely as there would be a lot of other symptoms that you do not describe, or
-There is some damage or degeneration (likely, age) to the optical nerves or the retinas or in some cases the "reception" part of the brain, The symptoms you explain indicate that the brain does not receive information that the light is on and therefore the pupiles are at maximal extension (think of them as a diafragm in a camera) in this case there is almost or no vision. The other option is that the problem is in the other "channel" and for some reason the pupiles cannot close, in this case vision is very impaired (imagine a TV with brigthness at full tilt).

In any case, from what you describe, looks to me that the problem is either optical nerve or retinas.
Not much to do at the moment but I do know of blind animals living happily (after a period of adaptation, of course) for years as long as they are in familiar surroundings.

Hope it helps

Saludos

Jose Angel "Ascua02"

P.S.: Just re-read your post. I'm almost sure she is got a case of nyctalopia (night blindness, difficulties to see in low light conditions) probably due to retinal degeneration caused likely by age. But please don't forget that I have not seen the cat, I can only give you an informed opinion.
Saludos

Daveroo
April 6th, 2012, 17:46
OK Daveroo

I think you nailed it.

The fact that the pupiles do not react in strong light (become slits) means one of two things:
-There is some hormonal imbalance affecting the eyes which is extremely unlikely as there would be a lot of other symptoms that you do not describe, or
-There is some damage or degeneration (likely, age) to the optical nerves or the retinas or in some cases the "reception" part of the brain, The symptoms you explain indicate that the brain does not receive information that the light is on and therefore the pupiles are at maximal extension (think of them as a diafragm in a camera) in this case there is almost or no vision. The other option is that the problem is in the other "channel" and for some reason the pupiles cannot close, in this case vision is very impaired (imagine a TV with brigthness at full tilt).

In any case, from what you describe, looks to me that the problem is either optical nerve or retinas.
Not much to do at the moment but I do know of blind animals living happily (after a period of adaptation, of course) for years as long as they are in familiar surroundings.

Hope it helps

Saludos

Jose Angel "Ascua02"

P.S.: Just re-read your post. I'm almost sure she is got a case of nyctalopia (night blindness, difficulties to see in low light conditions) probably due to retinal degeneration caused likely by age. But please don't forget that I have not seen the cat, I can only give you an informed opinion.
Saludos
thank you very much Jose...i was gone all day today...came home and she greeted me as normal...meowing to beat the band...wanted her treats...was on the back of the recliner..i turned on some brite lights..and there was no change in her eyes....stayed large dark...she got down off the chair by herself..slowly ill admit..and came to me as normal..but it took her a minute to find my leg for the usual "headbutt" for treats..but she got it in so i picked her up..and she got her treat and promptly started to walk off the edge of the desk,,,went the wrong direction..so its deffinantly a vision thing..

i thank all of you again for your concern and suggestions...im sure you all know how much she means to me...ive had some horrible things happen around me...and when i was a fire fighter..saw some horrible things...but two things really disturb me in life,,,changing a baby diaper and a dead animal.....and no..i dont hunt...i cant kill an animal....id be a vegan if i had to hunt for meat....

prolly not the place to tell this story...but one of my cousins and his father..accually its my moms cousin and her husband and son....they were/are avid hunters and fishermen...which im not one of those people who cry foul if someone else enjoys it...but mark one time while we were camping was calling me a name cause i dont hunt...gave me the whole what would you do if you had to hunt for meat thing...so i told him id be a cannable a he would be my first BBQ....later that night his dog tree'd a raccoon and mark started throwing rocks at the coon....so i started throwing rocks at him....he still doesnt talk to me..and that was 6 years ago....

Odie
April 8th, 2012, 09:12
The yowling may not be limited to age....our cat is 4 years old and the little kuncklehead will be in the back of the house and let out a loud yowl like
he's lost....we'll holler for him and then he'll trot into the room and look around as if to say, "Oh, where have you guys been?" Our other cat of 11 years
did the same thing. Like they had lost track of us.

Daveroo, give her an extra pet or two....she may be needing some reassurance during a confusing time. Cats especially (at least mine) respond to contact
in a positive way during a stressful time. Hope she gets better soon.