PDA

View Full Version : Korean War P-51 / F-51 Version?

stovall
April 2nd, 2012, 12:32
Probably a question for John Terrell but just watch the great film "Battle Hymn." Is the P-51 used in the early months of the Korean war the P-51D or is it a later version that followed the D series? All the literature I can fine call it the P-51D or F-51D.

Fun to watch the Mustangs in action during the opening months of the war. Dean "Killer" Hess played by Rock Hudson was an inspiration to many at that time. Wonderful story.

stiz
April 2nd, 2012, 12:38
i belive it was D models that were brought out of storage or taken from reserve units if i remember rightly, though not doubt Mr.Terrel will set us straight :)

Bomber_12th
April 2nd, 2012, 13:28
Most of the Mustangs that served in the Korean War were those manufactured around the spring and summer of 1945, too late for service in WWII, and were pulled out of storage (as Stiz mentions). During this time, ANG units still used a lot of P-51D's, but some units were also equipped with many P-51H models. I'm not aware of any P-51H's actually being used other than state-side. Following the introduction of the USAF in 1947, the P for pursuit designation was dropped, and all P-51D's were then referred to as F-51D's. Most of the the examples that served in the Korean War seem to be P-51D-25-NA and P-51D-30-NA type examples. By the time of the Korean War, a number of technical orders had been issued for the P-51D/F-51D, even in the years following the end of WWII, which resulted in numerous changes that did not occur on Mustangs during WWII, and with all of the technical orders/upgrades that had been issued, there were no longer as many differences in one F-51D to another (as there were while the P-51D was continuing to be developed throughout the last year and half of WWII), with all of them becoming more standardized. By the time of the Korean War, looking into the cockpit of an F-51D, you would have seen that the entire cockpit was painted black instead of interior green (or at least everywhere that could be reached), the K-14 gunsight would be updated to the latest mods/variant of the time, and the radio sets were different, resulting in a different look both in the controls along the right-hand side of the cockpit, as well as of course the equipment mounted behind the seat/armor plate. They would have all had the tail warning radar set installed, as well as the rocket control system/support for rocket launchers, and most, by this time, would have the rocket launchers mounted under the wings at all times (where as, even though rocket-supported Mustangs were being shipped to England as early as January and February of 1945, none were ever opperated in Europe with the rocket launchers installed).

stovall
April 2nd, 2012, 13:59
Thanks John, I knew you could set me straight on the subject. It is really cool to have our own expert on hand to fill in whatever details we need from time to time. Much appreciated.

Bomber_12th
April 2nd, 2012, 14:06
Another little detail, is that the F-6D photo-recon versions of the P-51D, were re-named RF-51's after the formation of the USAF.

Bomber_12th
April 2nd, 2012, 14:07
One of the best groupings of ANG and Korean War F-51D photos on the internet can be viewed here: http://jetpilotoverseas.wordpress.com/category/f-51-mustang/

(There are also some photos of the P-51H "Guardian Angels" display team, as recently mentioned in another thread)

Bomber_12th
April 3rd, 2012, 08:58
I thought I'd throw this photo up on this thread too, as it is F-51D related, and it always makes me laugh a little when I see it.

Someone made the mistake of keeping the canopy open during a snow storm...not good!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/snow_p51_cockpit.jpg

stovall
April 3rd, 2012, 09:28
John, we need the rest of the story. Couldn't just hear the CO chew someone up one side and down the other. Great pictures and some even in color. :sheep:

fsxar177
April 3rd, 2012, 09:39
Am I correct, that this was a Korean F-51?

I show the s/n as being lost in action 1951?

Joseph

Bomber_12th
April 3rd, 2012, 09:51
I've lost track of where I found this image, but I believe it was taken while the aircraft was based in North Dakota with the ANG unit there. I haven't looked-up the serial number myself, but that is very interesting what you mention, Joseph! As of right now, I also don't recall why there is an N at the end of the serial number.

There is one photo in particular of a Korean War USAF F-51D-25-NT, where the data block can be very easily read. Although it clearly states it as being a D-25-NT, the serial number is actually that of a P-51D-5-NA, just because whoever was put in charge of re-applying the data block (after the aircraft was painted all-over silver), miss-applied one of the numbers.

Bomber_12th
April 3rd, 2012, 09:56
Okay, I found the information pertaining to the photo:

"A P-51 Mustang is covered in snow at Hector Field in Fargo, N.D. (1949). Retired Chief Master Sgt. Fred Quam and two or three other mechanics would have to shovel the planes, which numbered as many as 35 at one point, out by hand after each snowstorm."

Very curious why the canopies had to be left open. If it did indeed show up in action in the Korean War, as Joseph's research indicates, it confirms that ANG Mustangs were also pulled for use in Korea.

Edit: Some more related photos from the same collection. The first one shows freshly blown-in snow from what was a recent snowstorm when the photo was taken, before shoveling/plowing commenced.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/5530350046_2492768a3a_b.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/5530354196_077037850a_b.jpg

Sieggie
April 3rd, 2012, 10:07
Possibly they would freeze shut otherwise.

Dave

roger-wilco-66
April 3rd, 2012, 12:54
My god, John, where do you get all these splendid photos from! You seem to have a endless supply of them :-)
Again, thank you so much for sharing them here!

Cheers,
Mark

fsxar177
April 3rd, 2012, 14:05
John,
In fact, I do believe that this aircraft was stateside with an ANG...Perhaps that ties the two together. I am not sure why the 'N' either.

Joseph