PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing water

falcon409
April 1st, 2012, 07:59
I know I've seen this discussed here before, I just don't seem to be able to find any references right now. I am slowly getting all my addons installed again and currently I have GEX, UTX and REX installed and working fine. The problem is, I have no water, lol. As the "Top-Down" image shows, there is a patch of ground that follows me along the Texas coastline so that I never get away from the ground textures. Anyone had this problem and know what the fix might be?

stovall
April 1st, 2012, 08:07
Ed, I recently did a complete reinstall and found the same problem. All water was gone. In my case all my rivers disappeared. I found the problem was GEX and UTX. Try uninstalling them and see if your water returns. I very carefully reinstalled exactly as recommended and all was ok on the second install. Just an idea.

falcon409
April 1st, 2012, 08:12
Ed, I recently did a complete reinstall and found the same problem. All water was gone. In my case all my rivers disappeared. I found the problem was GEX and UTX. Try uninstalling them and see if your water returns. I very carefully reinstalled exactly as recommended and all was ok on the second install. Just an idea.
Yea, that was the only thing that sounded likely to me as well but I didn't want to start uninstalling things until I was satisfied that was the problem. Thanks Tom.:salute:

bruce448
April 1st, 2012, 08:32
Try running the GEX textures again through the GEX Control panel i.e install selected options, easier than a de-install re-install.

Bruce

falcon409
April 1st, 2012, 09:05
Try running the GEX textures again through the GEX Control panel i.e install selected options, easier than a de-install re-install.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce. . .just tried that and this is the result, lol. . . .it follows the airplane. I have to leave for the afternoon to help my daughter move, so I won't be trying anything more until I get home. I think uninstalling is next though.:salute:

Dangerous Beans
April 1st, 2012, 09:13
Its a new safety feature for land based planes, when flying over water your own personal island follows you everywhere in case of emergencies.

bruce448
April 1st, 2012, 10:58
from this thread http://www.simforums.com/forums/utx-roads-and-water-disappear_topic32605.html

Q. I just installed FSX <SP1/SP2/Acceleration> and now all my water has turned to land. How do I fix this?
A. When you installed FSX <SP1/SP2/Acceleration> it overwrote the required UTX entries in the FSX terrain.cfg file. Simply re-running the UTX Setup Tool will add the required entries back in when it runs its self-test. This should fix the problems of land where water should be.

Q. I just went flying in an area covered by a UTX product and all my water has turned to land. I found that if I turned off "UT Exclusions for Default Scenery" in the FSX Scenery Library the sea reappears but I do not think this is the correct solution. How do I really fix this?
A. Firstly, you are correct that turning off the UT Exclusions is not the correct solution. By disabling this entry, all you are doing is masking the real issue by letting both UT and default scenery show at the same time. This is not a solution, and will cause more issues in other locations. The 'UT Exclusions for Default Scenery' layer should never be disabled.

From what you describe, it sounds like you have a potential issue with the required UTX entries in the FSX terrain.cfg. This can happen if you install one of the FSX service packs or Acceleration and it overwrites the terrain.cfg with a new version, or if you use an add-on like OrbX FTX which has its own custom terrain.cfg which needs turning off when you fly outside of the region it covers. Simply re-running the UTX Setup Tool will add the required entries back in when it runs its self-test. This should fix the problems of land where water should be.

falcon409
April 1st, 2012, 13:50
Ok, I'm back from helping my daughter move. Man I'm gettin' too old for that stuff, lol. Bruce I will give that a try straight away. Thanks!!:salute:

falcon409
April 1st, 2012, 15:12
Corpus Christi Has water again!! The version I had initially installed was an early version 1.2.0. I had to run the 1.4 patch to begin with and then run UTX setup and voila! Thanks Bruce and Tom for the assist.:applause: