PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Change Resolution Problem

JackMorris
March 29th, 2012, 21:11
Hello All,

***EDIT: I have got it to run at 1280x768x16, (Native is 1920x1080) I cannot get it to run at 32 bit or edit the advanced 3D hardware settings so it still looks awful!, I can't get anything done until I have fixed this error!***

As I mentioned in my other thread I was having a major problem. It is one that is stopping me dead in my tracks, and I cannot seem to fix.

When I enter CFS2 the standard resolution is 800x600. I have gone into advanced settings and changed it to a number of things, but it won't budge. (I have even re-installed the game and changed the setting under [display] in cfs2.cfg)

I am also unable to edit the advanced 3d hardware settings.

Here are my specs: Windows 7: 64 bit, 16GB of Ram, Nvidia GTX 580 3gb, 1000w Power Supply, Intel i7 2600k Overclocked to 4.4Ghz. The computer is going through an HDTV via HDMI (never had a problem before)

Is anyone aware of this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

JackMorris
March 30th, 2012, 19:03
70 views and no replies! I hope the problem isn't that unheard of!

Allen
March 30th, 2012, 19:10
Never heard of this... wonder if this is an Nvidia thing.

JackMorris
March 30th, 2012, 19:23
If this helps anyone, this is the closest thread I can find. But it didn't fix my problem.

​http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?2969-1680x1050-resolution

Seagull V
March 30th, 2012, 20:51
I updated my Nvidia driver at one stage and had issues with all my games as well as my desktop display along with BSODs - reinstalled the driver I had previously and everything went back to normal. Don't know if it's the same issue that you are having.

olaf1924
March 30th, 2012, 21:49
Jack if you have any other games try changing the resolution. Windows 7 might have a UAC that needs to be turned off like my vista 64 bit system.

JackMorris
March 30th, 2012, 21:57
Thanks for the tips guys... Drivers un-installed, desktop resolution changed, UAC off. no luck!

Would it be a good idea to duel boot with XP? (Not too sure on how to do this!)

UncleTgt
March 31st, 2012, 06:03
Jack,

Most people seem to run under WIN 7 alright, except for the 2D panel issue. I think the important point seems to be:

Don't install to the default programs/ x86 programs folders - WIN 7 doesn't like read/write changes to any files within these folders, even with administrator permissions. Where did you install the game to? Try creating a FLTSIM directory, & install it there, see whether the changes will take.
Are you running full screen or windowed mode? Maybe running full screen won't allow changes under WIN 7 for some reason? (just guessing)

JackMorris
March 31st, 2012, 06:39
Jack,

Most people seem to run under WIN 7 alright, except for the 2D panel issue. I think the important point seems to be:

Don't install to the default programs/ x86 programs folders - WIN 7 doesn't like read/write changes to any files within these folders, even with administrator permissions. Where did you install the game to? Try creating a FLTSIM directory, & install it there, see whether the changes will take.
Are you running full screen or windowed mode? Maybe running full screen won't allow changes under WIN 7 for some reason? (just guessing)

I have tried windowed mode, but still no luck. Are you suggesting I uninstall and re-install in a different location? If so I will do right away.

Also, here is a picture of the problem (as you can see, advanced 3d hardware settings are greyed-out)

Allen
March 31st, 2012, 18:37
Have your tried to swich it to the other device? The card listed as DISPLAY?

JackMorris
March 31st, 2012, 22:14
Have your tried to swich it to the other device? The card listed as DISPLAY?

Clicked on it and tried to press okay, but it won't switch.

JackMorris
March 31st, 2012, 22:24
This is as good as I can get it to look at the minute.

UncleTgt
April 1st, 2012, 03:50
Jack,

Can you select "enable hardware acceleration"? Screenie suggests that's geyed out too.

Quebec_01
April 1st, 2012, 15:10
... right clicking on your icon and launch it as admin?

Win7, depending on how it's installed or, perhaps on which version you got, sometimes requires to launch stuff as admin.
It has to do with security options, please don't ask me how to change those :stop:

Also, you might want to try and change the graphic settings for CFS2 from your graphic card program? It might reside in your icons near the clock. From there, locate your program (CFS2.exe) and change the settings. When you launch that game, the graphic settings you put there should override CFS2's. It act's just like a profiler

Good luck

Q

JackMorris
April 2nd, 2012, 03:35
Have now tried every single thing in this thread. No luck. I'm thinking that it's to do with my graphics card (GTX 580 3Gb). Thanks anyway for all the previous help, it's really appreciated.

Rami
April 2nd, 2012, 05:16
Jack Morris,

Does Windows 7 have a User Account Control utility, like Vista? Would turning that off help you change your settings?

Quebec_01
April 2nd, 2012, 12:29
WoW that's a really nice card!!!

Right clic and try "solve compatibility issues". Have it run on XP serv pack2 for example

JackMorris
April 2nd, 2012, 23:05
Thanks again guys, just tried both of those. No luck. I guess I'm going to have to call it quits, but I am going on holiday tomorrow, so I will try and put it on a laptop.
(If you were wondering why I didn't do that before I have some very strong reasons!)

Thanks again to the entire community for the help,

Jack

bebopdeluxe829
June 28th, 2012, 07:39
Jack,

Did you manage to resolve the issue of not being able to select hardware acceleration? I have exactly the same issue with CFS2 running under Win7 64Bit using a Radeon HD7950. I have also worked my way through all the suggestions here but to no avail.

Ghostrider
June 30th, 2012, 17:50
How about this - Go into your Video card control panel, with an NVIDIA card, it's 3-D settings\Program settings\ for CFS2. are you somehow forcing CFS2's settings in there? Don't know how this would have changed on it's own, but stranger things have happened. Also, as you probably already know, if you adjust your volume levels, your display settings default to 'crap' settings. But that shouldn't grey-out your advanced display options . Good luck.

bebopdeluxe829
July 3rd, 2012, 03:52
Hi Ghostrider I have tried forcing the settings using the ATI Catalyst Centre but this still does not work. I think the next thing to try is to dual boot with XP and see if this resolves the issue, not elegant but it may work.