PDA

View Full Version : Woman cut in half by landing mooney

Landman
March 29th, 2012, 08:32
Check this out. In South Africa a woman was walking across the runway at an airport when a Mooney was landing and the wing cut her in half.
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Plane-slices-woman-in-half-on-runway-20120328

middle
March 29th, 2012, 13:54
hmmm...i guesse have to ban airplanes or women...

Wittpilot
March 29th, 2012, 15:46
hmmm...i guesse have to ban airplanes or women...

Easy decision.... Airplanes always win...

Am I the only one finding it hard to see how a Mooney, or any low-wing airplane for that matter, would "slice" someone in half?? I mean, kill them yes, lots of blunt force trama there, but it's not razor sharp like a knife... I don't know, just hard for me to imagine...
-witt

Tako_Kichi
March 29th, 2012, 15:50
Depending on just where on the wing and how hard the initial hit was I could see the aluminum sheeting tearing at some point and then you would have a knife edge to complete the cutting.

Naki
March 29th, 2012, 16:15
Am I the only one finding it hard to see how a Mooney, or any low-wing airplane for that matter, would "slice" someone in half?? I mean, kill them yes, lots of blunt force trama there, but it's not razor sharp like a knife... I don't know, just hard for me to imagine...
-witt

Same here ...if it was a F-104 Starfighter ..that would certainly slice. IIRC correctly they had to protect the trailing edge when working on them in case of cutting themselves

Willy
March 29th, 2012, 17:11
It depends on how fast the aircraft was moving when it hit her.

Piglet
March 29th, 2012, 18:51
The impact may have torn the body apart, as opposed to slicing the body. Depending on airspeed, the wing would mostly have "folded" her body to the ripping point. Either way, OUCH!

stansdds
March 30th, 2012, 02:36
This is cold and callous, but I'd say the gene pool just got filtered a bit. Pretty well ranks along with the people who dart across the railroad tracks just as a train is approaching them.

rgatkinson
March 31st, 2012, 15:57
May she RIP poor woman. This is a fellow human being we are talking about here people; somebody's daughter and perhaps somebody's mother. I'm not that interested in the damage to the plane or how she might have been sliced, chopped or folded in two! Planes can be repaired; dead people can not.

My sympathies to her family and to the pilot who must be shocked and upset by what has happened.

luckydog
April 1st, 2012, 18:59
Around here, the woman would've been fine...............the Mooney would have lost a wing.