PDA

View Full Version : GCA approaches?

skyhawka4m
March 29th, 2012, 05:06
A while back Cloud9 put out the Aviano airport and with it came the ability to do GCA approaches. Has anyone ever developed this so that it can be added to airports? I think this would be an awesome thing to have.

Reddog
March 29th, 2012, 05:18
A while back Cloud9 put out the Aviano airport and with it came the ability to do GCA approaches. Has anyone ever developed this so that it can be added to airports? I think this would be an awesome thing to have.

Me too, since that's what I did in the service.
Is that even done anymore?

Bone
March 29th, 2012, 08:58
PAR is the civilian equivilant of GCA, and there are places that still do that. About three or four years ago I had an approach controller ask me if I'd be willing to take a practice PAR....for their practice, not mine, lol. I go into Eglin AFB fairly often, and it wasn't that long ago I heard someone getting a practice GCA into there.

It's still an approach option on the menu, but anymore only done on a practice basis, it seems. It's definately going to the wayside.

Kind of like Cel Nav. Used to you would hear every now and then a military flight check onto a center freq saying, for example "Smoke 21 at FL300, Cel Nav". But, not anymore. I'm not so sure they even teach Cel Nav at USAF Navigator training anymore.

srgalahad
March 29th, 2012, 10:27

If the addon did it, was it 'automated', or did it require you to be in multiplayer with a "controller"?

The only other one I've heard of was a bunch in eastern Canada who had been working on a PAR/GCA setup that (I think) they ran in conjunction with their VATSIM sector but that was relatively early in the FS9 time-frame.

I grew up with PAR and got training in it although I never worked a PAR-equipped unit. Before they closed CFB Namao in Edmonton we used to fly over and do practice GCA approaches to help the guys keep current when ther regular traffic levels were low.

skyhawka4m
March 29th, 2012, 10:43
It was automated.....no multi player needed.

skyhawka4m
March 29th, 2012, 10:44
https://store2.esellerate.net/store/checkout/CustomLayout.aspx?s=STR4626178260&pc=&page=MultiMoreInfo.htm&SkuRefNum=SKU53616445390

llanning08
March 29th, 2012, 11:49
There is an Fs9 addon called Real PAR v1.1 by SkyTalk Team which provides verbal precision approach guidence within Fs9.

See the product at SimMarket.com. No version for FsX as yet.

It would be nice to have PAR support in FsX for use with "classic" aircraft such as DC-6, Connies, B377s, etc. An alternative to the more modern ILS and GPS approaches.

Pips
March 29th, 2012, 12:59
GCA?
PAR?
CEL/NAV?

What language is this?

keatles
March 29th, 2012, 13:28
The English language

GCA = Ground Controlled Approach
PAR = Precision Approach Radar
Cel Nav = Celestial Navigation

:salute:

Felixthreeone
March 29th, 2012, 17:00
There is an Fs9 addon called Real PAR v1.1 by SkyTalk Team which provides verbal precision approach guidence within Fs9.

See the product at SimMarket.com. No version for FsX as yet.

It would be nice to have PAR support in FsX for use with "classic" aircraft such as DC-6, Connies, B377s, etc. An alternative to the more modern ILS and GPS approaches.

...I have always wanted this type of approach to be made available since I started simming. I had purchased the Aviano scenery, and was amused at how close it came to the real thing despite its crude overall functionality. I subsequently purchased the RealPAR program mentioned here...and it was a complete and total waste of money. It was awful on many levels...and I regretted it, but felt it was worth the try. I also managed a few PAR/GCA approaches in Vatsim, as there is apparently a client plugin for those controllers to use. I absolutely would LOVE to see a payware PAR/GCA program developed that can be programmed by the end-user to function in a similar manner to that which came with the Aviano scenery back in the FS9 days.....

...If marshallers, follow-me trucks, baggage loaders, WAAS approaches, peopleflows, snowflows, etc...can be developed, why not a PAR/GCA program?

robertorizzo
March 29th, 2012, 18:06
It should be close to vLSO by FsDreamteam, shouldn't it?
On Carriers it works great. I should not be very difficult for who knows how these things work to adapt it to a ground rwy.

Pips
March 29th, 2012, 21:32
Cheers keatles.

Victory103
March 30th, 2012, 02:09
Still in use today and many military aircraft do not have any other form of precision approaches. We did GCA's alot in the Navy as the Tacan was the only legal approach, GPS was not certified for use during IFR flight and no civilian ILS. In the Army, we have a separate unit (company) that handles all ATC, including tower and GCA services, again some airframes have non-IFR GPS, so a PAR is all they have to get down.(ie AH-64).

I was in a military based VA that used the vPAR software, should be freeware.