PDA

View Full Version : OK, it's my turn with plumbing troubles...

rdaniell
March 27th, 2012, 05:06
A little while back one of you had some plumbing problems. Well, it's my turn now. Not trying to outdo anyone but this situation might deserve a "dummy of the month" award. About a week ago, my wife informs me that our washing machine is not working correctly. Since, I usually end up with blood on me, mine, when I attempt anything with wrenchs, screwdrivers, etc., I told her to call the repair guy. He comes over and says we need a new something and that will fix the problem.

A week later, he returns to install this part. Later that evening, my wife informs me that the washing machine is not working correctly. Call the repair guy. He says all he can recommend is a new washing machine. Next day, new washing machine is delivered and installed. Later that night, my wife informs me that the new washing machine is not working correctly.

So yesterday, I unhooked the water supply line and hooked up the hose from the outside spigot to the washing machine. Machine works great now. This afternoon I'm expecting the plumbers to go under my house to redo the water supply line to the washing machine. The whole problem stemmed from almost no water flow to the washing machine.

So now I'm out $225.00 in repair bills and I have no idea what the new washing machine cost. My wife thinks I need some mystery in my life. It will all be revealed when I get the VISA bill....Finally, who knows what the plumbing bill will be. I live in an old house which may require all kinds of pipes being replaced just to get water to the washing machine.

Man! Retirement is fun...

RD

Daveroo
March 27th, 2012, 09:37
thats the problem with so called "plumbers" now a days..i come from a long line of plumbers....my grand father opened his own business in 1945,my father and i both worked for him,,and then i worked for my father when he bought out his father,,i broke my back in 1995,and became disabled,,no longer could work,,,and i broke the chain as my nephew wanted to be a professional pot smoker,,,my grandfathers brothers and uncles were plumbers,including one company (whom my grandfather and gret grandfather worked for) that was the first plumbing shop based in Tahoe city..at lake tahoe...my point to all of this..first thing i would have done was to test the washer,( although clothes washing machines usually come under the applance service companies)if the washer was not getting water..id had checked the screens on the supply hoses,,,on washing machines,there are screen on BOTH sides of the supply hose..if there still wasnt enough flow,id have then checked to see if the piping was iron pipe,or copper,or what the type may be..and then have gone from there...never advise someone to just buy new without researching the trouble...

btw..water pressure and water volume are not the same thing...many believe and argue they are...but you can have 2gpm flow at 125 psi....or you can have 30gpm at 125psi...the "pressure" would be constant..but the flow would be greatly increased...but it would appear that the "pressure" increased as well.....

and while im at it....they are "water heaters"......there is no reason to heat hot water...and nowhere on a water heater does it say.."hot water heater"...ive won money on that bet.....they recive cold water INTO the tank..then heat it inside the tank and export it in heated form....ill shut up now...

btw...since the orignal "plumber" neglected to solve the problem,but not doing his job..id talk to an attorny

rdaniell
March 27th, 2012, 09:46
Hey Daveroo, the plumbers just left my house. These guys knew what to do. They isolated the problem in less than 5 minutes and took another 15 or 20 minutes to fix it. I now have water to the washing machine. They were from a commercial plumbing company. I have known the owner for over 20 years. I'll have to pay "commercial" rates but, heck by the time I figure in all that I have already thrown "down the drain"(pun intended), I'd been money ahead to have called them first.

Live and learn, die and forget...

RD

Willy
March 27th, 2012, 10:18
I used to do a bit of plumbing and still do on my house, but I'm not overly fond of it. Had to fix a toilet last night as a matter of fact. PVC pipe has to be one of man's greatest inventions though.

rdaniell
March 27th, 2012, 10:57
I used to do a bit of plumbing and still do on my house, but I'm not overly fond of it. Had to fix a toilet last night as a matter of fact. PVC pipe has to be one of man's greatest inventions though.

Darn Willy, if I had known that, I'd asked you to hop on one of the Merc Air planes and pay a visit to South Georgia. Wait though, on second thought, the fuel bill alone would have been more that the plumber's bill.

RD

aeromed202
March 27th, 2012, 14:18
Being a dummy (the plumber here) is not limited to plumbing. As Scott Adams (Dilbert cartoons) keenly deduced, "Everyone is an idiot, not just the people with low SAT scores. The only differences among us is that we're idiots about different things at different times. No matter how smart you are, you spend much of your day being an idiot". I include myself in this assessment, but at least I have my moments. I was on a call once arriving at an apartment door with PD who said the key was on the way but would be 15 minutes or more, with an unknown medical problem inside and nobody answering the door. As she was on the radio about to call for fire to break in, I meekly went up to the door and tried the knob of the door, which turned and opened with a soft groan. The look on her face was priceless. Too often we automatically do what we are used to, forgetting about the simple stuff or lateral thinking to solve problems. Glad you found some smart deviants (another Adams reference).