PDA

View Full Version : MegaSceneryEarth

Gregory Paul
December 23rd, 2008, 07:28
http://www.megasceneryearth.com/home.htm

I think i'll need a bigger hard drive!

Alexraptor
December 23rd, 2008, 08:07
So this is going to be full then i take it with proper autogen scenery and all the trimmings!?

Lionheart
December 23rd, 2008, 08:47
I can hardly wait for Colorado....!

:d

Imagine Alaska...

Bill

MCDesigns
December 23rd, 2008, 12:50
Imagine Alaska...

...only if it comes with autogen. Without it , it would just be to funky looking.

kjb
December 23rd, 2008, 14:56
It looks like they've abandoned AirPhotoUSA and started using USGS images. The quality isn't as good and they look pretty rough without a ton of color correction...something I've been trying to improve on my sceneries.

I do agree with others that without autogen and night lighting etc, it's value is limited. To me it's like flying over a picture...not quite finished.

Gregory Paul
December 23rd, 2008, 15:08
It looks like they've abandoned AirPhotoUSA and started using USGS images. The quality isn't as good and they look pretty rough without a ton of color correction...something I've been trying to improve on my sceneries.

I do agree with others that without autogen and night lighting etc, it's value is limited. To me it's like flying over a picture...not quite finished.

Did you guys read this part?

• Two sceneries for the price of one with every area purchased - Day Scenery and MegaScenery's Custom NightScene night scenery technology for spectacular dusk, dawn & Night Flying •
• Improved and Enhanced AutoGen Scenery •

kjb
December 23rd, 2008, 15:30
I stand corrected...somewhat :)

I haven't seen any screen shots that show any autogen and I'm not a big fan of the 'lighting technology' approach. I guess that's why I do my own :icon_lol:

jimjones
December 24th, 2008, 01:43
Well. I'm a photoreal fan. If you can afford the cost of the product and the hardware, disk space, to run it then I think this has potential for those that can live without full autogen and deal with the rather bland photos that some sceneries, including my own, reveal.

There are pictures available at MegasceneryEarth now and maps that show the available areas. The few areas that are of interest to me seem to run at $7.50 each and takes up nearly 1 GB each. Have not seen any autogen yet.

One area I'm interested in is the upper part of the lower section of Michigan. In the Charelvoix area the airport is featured but the town and coastline are cut out. Similarly, other areas of the coastline are cut off and it seems doubtful those will be filled in.

I'm also curious about areas of Utah, especially the National Parks.

Who will be the first to try out an area and report on it here?

Gregory Paul
December 24th, 2008, 03:27
I see a lot of AutoGen Scenery down there. I brought Colorado-001 and got Washington-004 for free!:applause: It does take a little time to download but you are downloading over a GB of data! The server was fast for my download.

This is screen shots of Colorado-001.

Gregory Paul
December 24th, 2008, 04:25
Here are a few from Washington-004.

JimC1702
December 24th, 2008, 04:38
Those are great megascenery earth pics. The best I've seen yet. I wonder if the other people had autogen turned off? Looks much more lively with the autogen buildings and trees.

Jim

stiz
December 24th, 2008, 04:43
does anyone know if they've done the pacific at all?

jimjones
December 24th, 2008, 05:12
Download speed using DSL Lite leveled out at 82 MB/sec, so the LakeMichigan-026 file of 581 Mb took about 2 hrs. Easy install.

Be aware that if you use their setups it sets resolution to 1M/pixel, so if you have sceneries better than that you'll need to reset to a better setting. I have homemade photoreal to 1foot/pixel.

My first impressions of the LakeMichigan-026 area is disappointing. Adjacent areas show different colorations, and different resolutions. MegasceneryEarth claims 1 or 2 M/pixel. Does not look that good to me. Need to have an altitude of about 5000 ft to look decent. Below that things look pretty bad. Can't see detail in buildings to identify them except for their size or color. But at 5000 feet one does get a feel of the land and provides a pleasant break from the default terrain.

Some like autogen. What I see in this scenery distracts, but I'm not an autogen fan when used with photoscenery. I suppose I can turn autogen off or remove the .agn files.

jimjones
December 24th, 2008, 06:24
LakeMichigan-026

The first shot is of Boyne Highlands Ski Area.

The second is of Harbor Springs A/P in backgrond, dunes in foreground

The third is of a section in Bay View showing differences in color in the same scenery package. It also illustrates the coarse resolution, supposedly using 1 or 2 M/pixel source data at 1 M/pixel.

The fourth is a section of scenery I created for Louisville. Source is probably .25 M/pixel at 1 M/pixel for the scenery. Sure is a lot better than MegapixelEarth.

Both the 3rd and 4th shots taken at 1000 feet AGL.

How do other areas look at the 1000 foot AGL distance?

jimjones
December 24th, 2008, 07:32
When I ordered the first scenery, the site indicated I had a freebie and showed an area in Washington or Oregon for $0. Placed an order for that scenery, but when I looked at the cart it did not show. Has anyone gotten their freebie and how if you did get it did you obtain it?

Another anomaly with the Michigan scenery: It seems it has a flatten which nearly wiped out Macinac Island. Only the Grand Hotel and airport sits above the water now. Wonder why MSE felt the flatten was needed.

potterj
January 13th, 2009, 07:50
The first shot is from near Mackinac City to the West and Wilderness State Park. The second is from the North of Mackinac Island looking South. As you can see, most of Mackinac Island is wiped out as is a 20 mile long island called Bois Blanc. Any ideas?

tigisfat
January 13th, 2009, 09:38
I love megascenery, but this is pure garbage. The quality is poor, and it's super expensive now. They can keep it.

Mithrin
January 13th, 2009, 11:19
Makes you wonder though, such high quality before and now this. Maybe they aren't doing so well and this is their rescue plan to gather some instant money...whatever the reason. So far I hate the areas I bought. Even the Utah stuff isn't good if you compare it to their Las Vegas scenery...which cuts of halfway down a lake too to be honest, quite stupid!

Holger Sandmann
January 13th, 2009, 11:29
Hi potterj,

the MSE people opened their own support forum so perhaps post your question there: http://www.pcaviator.com/megascenery/forums/

Cheers, Holger