PDA

View Full Version : P3D - Who's running it?

Mach3DS
March 25th, 2012, 21:38
Please, if you respond in the affirmative, let's try to keep it organized and easy to read through.

Post this first:
YES - [if you're a DEVELOPER say so here...] - [insert your system specs here...]

Then, if your not running P3D, or you have more to say please feel free! Hopefully this will keep the original intention of this thread and allow for additional conversation as I know it can go off on tangents occasionally :icon_lol: I'm seriously considering taking the plunge but I want to see who has similar setup as me, and which Dev's are already on board. Thanks everyone!

Lionheart
March 25th, 2012, 21:42
Affirmative.

Apple iMac, dual boot with Windows XP32, single core Intel Core Duo 2.80 GHz, 3 Gigs DDR Ram, ATI 2700 XT Radeon GC; iMac is Dec. 2008 Build, latest Bootcamp drivers.

Runs P3D smoothly at stock 20FPS lock. It will drop to 14 now and then, rarely. Also, I cannot run Anti Alias (AA) for some reason, but it wouldnt run on FSX either.

Bill
LHC

roger-wilco-66
March 25th, 2012, 23:27
Affirmative. Got the P3D V1.3 now, on a dev subsription.
Together with Tom Stovall, I develop the Chi Chi Jima 1945 scenery on it, parallel to FSX. I also imported the Solomon scenario in P3D and work it over.

System is Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4gig RAM, Nvidia 460, Win7 64. I washed the Prepar3D.CFG (fsx.cfg in FSX) through Jesus Altuves optimizer and got very high frame rates after that. They are normally locked at 40fps though.

Cheers,
Mark

stovall
March 26th, 2012, 04:11
Purchase the retail P3D 1.2 version now upgraded to 1.3. I am Marks partner in the development of Iwo Jima, ChiChi Jima and several future projects on the drawing board.

System Intel i7-3930 with 3.20GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 590, Win 7 64 bit. I also have optimized the Prepar3d.cfg but the default works quite well. FPS are locked at 30 but if not locked they run over 100 most of the time. Very heavy scenery brings it down to the low 20's.

Prepar3D looks very good for the future.

warchild
March 26th, 2012, 13:04
Affirmative.. Cross develop for P3D and FSX..

Q-6600 8gigs ram, gtx 250, 780i mobo, stock speed on the cpu, water cooled,

P3D 1.2 ( still need to upgrade

i crunch numbers and make airplanes fly...

kjb
March 26th, 2012, 17:13
<raises hand>

Amateur developer

System: Core i7-3960X 12GB Win7 64

I like what LM is doing here and it sounds like the future will be even brighter.

limjack
March 26th, 2012, 20:05
Affirmative. Got the P3D V1.3 now, on a dev subsription.
Together with Tom Stovall, I develop the Chi Chi Jima 1945 scenery on it, parallel to FSX. I also imported the Solomon scenario in P3D and work it over.

System is Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4gig RAM, Nvidia 460, Win7 64. I washed the Prepar3D.CFG (fsx.cfg in FSX) through Jesus Altuves optimizer and got very high frame rates after that. They are normally locked at 40fps though.

Cheers,
Mark

This gives me hope for my machine running P3D, everything the same except for 6gig Ram.

Jim

fsafranek
March 26th, 2012, 21:43
Nope. Sorry. But interesting to read about the system it will run well on.
:ernae:

luckydog
March 27th, 2012, 10:40
I've had it for about 5 days now.
Running Windows 7 with AMD 6 core 2.6 GHZ 64 bit, 8 gigs ram, ATI Radeon 5570 with 1 gig DDR3.
Getting a solid 24fps with most sliders at 75% except around cities where it can drop as low as 10fps.
Having about a 60% success rate on loading FSX aircraft.
Get a "Fatal Error" message when I go to scenery library.

The more I fly/use/learn it the better I like it.

LD

full
March 27th, 2012, 12:19
Affirmative

Running at 60 FPS locked (constant) with Ultra settings, although FSX runs better than P3D at the moment on my system with the same settings.

i5 2500k O/C 4.6 GHz
Windows 7 64 bit
16GB Vengeance Corsair Ram
Nvidia 470 GTX
Corsair H80 (water cooler)
Matrox Triple Head 2 Go

kjb
March 27th, 2012, 15:24
Get a "Fatal Error" message when I go to scenery library.

LD

You need to run it as administrator to access the scenery library.

expat
March 27th, 2012, 22:38
What is P3D? I take it that it is not a Lockheed Orion variant. :icon_lol:

wombat666
March 27th, 2012, 23:50
What is P3D? I take it that it is not a Lockheed Orion variant. :icon_lol:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?64614-Behold-A-new-flight-sim! (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?64614-Behold-A-new-flight-sim%21)

luckydog
March 28th, 2012, 13:30
You were right..........the "admin fix" worked. Thanks !!

Now I'm getting the "Fatal Error" message and crash whenever I hit the Load or Save flight buttons.

P3B forum hasn't responded......

LD

kjb
March 28th, 2012, 14:27
Hmm, can't help with that one. I haven't had an error since I started running it as an admin.

luckydog
March 29th, 2012, 20:40
Just flew a twin Otter thru the Alps.........mesh at 10m.........fps at 30.........smooth as silk !

WOW !!

Lionheart
March 29th, 2012, 20:53
Nice!

This sim is freaking me out.... Its so wierd to be flying in what looks like FSX, but its running smooth.

Cag40Navy
March 29th, 2012, 21:07
Nice!

This sim is freaking me out.... Its so wierd to be flying in what looks like FSX, but its running smooth.

I do believe after spewing my coffee onto my screen at that, that you owe me a new cup of coffee! :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Lionheart
March 29th, 2012, 21:10
Sorry Cag40Navy.

I should photograph my goosebumps when in flight in P3D...

Lionheart
March 30th, 2012, 10:30
I flew it some more....

More 'weirdness' of the actual, incredible 'smooothness' of P3D.

I almost looked like this...

stovall
March 30th, 2012, 10:36
Bill, I am starting to worry about you. :icon_eek:

fsxar177
March 30th, 2012, 11:05
Actually, the TS pic was tolerable (barely)...

But with that smallish creature....c'mon Bill. Are you feeling ok?

Roger
March 30th, 2012, 11:42
:naturesm::engel016:

Great to see you happy Bill....if just a little weird:costum:

OleBoy
March 30th, 2012, 13:52
All this excitement he's displaying has me anticipating thoughts. He's running a somewhat lacking machine now for intense graphics settings.

Mr. Bill, when you decide to upgrade your flightsim rig and get the opportunity of superior visuals, will you warn us first so we're ready for the beast to get unleashed? :icon_lol:

fsxar177
March 30th, 2012, 15:50
....will you warn us first so we're ready for the beast to get unleashed? :icon_lol:

I'll second that, 'cause it could be bad, real bad.

Lionheart
March 30th, 2012, 18:46
Roger that.

Ok, yes, I have been depressed. I could never handle more then 30 min's on FSX. It drove me nuts, just like windows vista. I have been making planes in FSX format for my customers, but I would enjoy fun flights (myself) in FS9.

But now, I have PrePar3D and it runs smooth and it runs FSX planes. Its like a blessing from the Lord. PrePar3D came down in prices, its much smoother and faster, looks a bit better. I am happy. I dont feel like I am fighting myself, making FSX planes. Now I can say, I am making P3D planes (that will also work in FSX).

I'll let you know when I move up in rigs. I have my eyes set on either a Mac Pro tower or Alienware tower, dual 6 cores, 16 or 32 Gigs of RAM, SSD HD's. I will always keep a mid to lower mid range computer though for testing on. That is the standard of the populace, the 'normal' computer. Most of our flight simmers are 45 to 70. They do not always have super computers, managing families (and grand kids) so things have to work for 'everyone'.

Bill

luckydog
March 30th, 2012, 20:25
......flew the Columbia River Gorge tonite......
mesh set to 10m, texture res: 1m
( those cars below left are moving )

Lionheart
March 30th, 2012, 21:45
......flew the Columbia River Gorge tonite......
mesh set to 10m, texture res: 1m
( those cars below left are moving )

I need to try this.

Thanks for the heads up LD.

I just flew the Mauley Mauley from Burbank (LA) to the Salton Sea and cannot believe the change in scenery textures. Totally different.

Roger
March 31st, 2012, 03:15
I'd like to know off those who have ORBX scenery installed in P3D and FsX if the P3D is still smoother and faster than in FsX?

stovall
March 31st, 2012, 06:55
Roger, I purchase the Orbx FTX NABluePNW SBSL package and found that this definitely works better in Prepar3D. There is still a big hit at Portland International and Seattle / Tacoma International. Very smooth flight but the problem is on the ground there are some real altitude problems with the transfer into the Prepar3D engine. The airfield was elevated about 2 feet above everything else leaving some steep ravines around the airport.

SBSL allows you to use your FSX NABluePNW intall in Prepar3D. You have to have purchased the FSX version first. The SBSL software is only a few bucks and uses your FSX install in Prepar3D. Hope that makes sense. The scenery other than the problem at the airports looks and flies great but there is a hit on FPS. They come down to 14 - 15 in some areas. Hope this helps.

big-mike
March 31st, 2012, 07:34
I don`t run P3D because i have a solid and stable Setup of FSX+ACC.
None the less i`m pretty sure,that P3D will be the future for us simmers.
But at the moment i don`t feel any need to buy a license only because P3D runs perhaps a bit smoother and faster.Must not have problems with sceneries and aircrafts which cannot be ported over without problems at the moment.
I will watch the further developement and perhaps in the future i will buy a license,but not now.
Maybe Microsoft surprises us one day and will take Flight! to another level,who knows?
For now i`m happy with FSX.
My 2cents.

modelr
March 31st, 2012, 08:50
I am downloading the Academic version now. Just got my new rig up and running, haven't flown any more than a few minutes just to make sure things are working. Will be interesting to see. I have noticed my FSX is smoother than before, but that may be because very few add-ons have been activated, yet.

My FS9 IS much better! As well as my R/C Sim (RealFlight G6) :jump:

Felixthreeone
March 31st, 2012, 09:16
I *will be* running it as soon as there is an Ivy bridge in my box to replace the sandy bridge....sometime this summer

kilo delta
March 31st, 2012, 09:32
Hmmm...watching this thread with interest. I'm still not convinced,though ....I'm thinking that there's possibly a placebo effect of loading up a fresh new sim install compared to a bloated/tweaked/broken current FSX install? I've signed up at the Prepar3d forum's and will see how things pan out in the coming months.:)

big-mike
April 3rd, 2012, 08:18
I would like to learn more about P3D and have a few questions.
How much space do P3D need when installed?
Has somebody installed more sceneries and airplanes and is there a FPS impact to notice?
Is it easier to copy sceneries and aircrafts from an existing FSX setup?
UTX,GEX,AS2012,REX-Overdrive,Megasceneries------are they working flawless?
I cannot afford P3D at the moment,50$ is a lot of money for me,but i`m interested.
Thank you :running:
Michael

Lionheart
April 4th, 2012, 21:17
I would like to learn more about P3D and have a few questions.
How much space do P3D need when installed?
Has somebody installed more sceneries and airplanes and is there a FPS impact to notice?
Is it easier to copy sceneries and aircrafts from an existing FSX setup?
UTX,GEX,AS2012,REX-Overdrive,Megasceneries------are they working flawless?
I cannot afford P3D at the moment,50$ is a lot of money for me,but i`m interested.
Thank you :running:
Michael

Think of it as being just like FSX, except that it runs correctly. Same folders, same files, etc, etc, etc. :D

TeaSea
April 5th, 2012, 15:43
Intrigued....but only so much. I really like my experience with FSX at the moment.

Dangerousdave26
April 6th, 2012, 04:26
You were right..........the "admin fix" worked. Thanks !!

Now I'm getting the "Fatal Error" message and crash whenever I hit the Load or Save flight buttons.

P3B forum hasn't responded......

LD
Its a permission thing and what you need to do is give yourself full permisisons on the P3D folder.

Run as administrator is not necessary once you have full permissions.

See the 7th post in this thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52003-FS9-Crashes!-%28Possible-compatibility-issues-in-Win7%29

Mach3DS
April 6th, 2012, 13:36
Thanks all for replying to this thread, and helping it get into the new P3D forum! Hopefully this will help us all to know who's "in the know" around here regarding P3D. A starting point. Thank you.

Francois
April 7th, 2012, 04:34
I am, but didn't reply so far as I forgot my machine specs. Something with 8 Gb RAM, Quad 9550 or so CPU, 580GTX vidcard...... but who cares? It changes almost every month. :icon_lol:

IanHenry
April 7th, 2012, 10:07
I tried Preper3D, and was a little disappointed. It looks like I'm the only one on those forums who is not totally enamored with it! I've even taken advantage oftheir refund policy.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the program, but I didn't see any significant improvement over FSX on my machine, and when I found out that there is no upgrade policy to V2, when it comes out, I decided that keeping V1.3 seemed a little pointless, so I think I'll wait until V2 is released.

Regards,
Ian.

Lionheart
April 7th, 2012, 11:22
I tried Preper3D, and was a little disappointed. It looks like I'm the only one on those forums who is not totally enamored with it! I've even taken advantage oftheir refund policy.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the program, but I didn't see any significant improvement over FSX on my machine, and when I found out that there is no upgrade policy to V2, when it comes out, I decided that keeping V1.3 seemed a little pointless, so I think I'll wait until V2 is released.

Regards,
Ian.

Hey Ian,

Roger that. Sorry it didnt work out for you. A friend of mine also downloaded it, tried it, no improvements for him on performance. I can only figure its graphics cards. They say that this happened to a number of people when it went from Build 1.2 to Build 1.3. For me, its totally night and day difference via performance.

If people are running FSX fine, no issues, no hopping planes, blinking clouds or studders, you might stay with FSX then as P3D is very similar, almost identical. Scenery is a slight bit different, interface is totally different, 4096 ground textures now. So if FSX is running great for you, you might stay there.

Generation 2 of P3D is going to be about a year from now, just a heads up. Its quite a ways out there yet.

ZEUS67
April 7th, 2012, 11:45
Prepar3D ver 2.x will be a totally different software than ver 1.x. In the same way that FS9 and FSX are completely different. That is why everybody who does not have a developer's account will have to purchase a new license for ver 2.x the same way any FS9 license owner had to purchase a new FSX license when it came out.

Developer's accounts pay $9.99 a month so it is very likely that in the end we will be paying more than the professional license by the time ver 2.x comes out. Developer's accounts cannot be "deployed" into business solutions and they do need access to the latest upgrades and versions to keep current. They are strictly for developing add-ons/business solutions (a.k.a. simulation cabins) for Prepar3D.

If you purchase a 1.x license, you will have free access to all the upgrades made to that version. Same policy applies to ver 2.x

IanHenry
April 7th, 2012, 12:20
Hey Ian,

Roger that. Sorry it didnt work out for you. A friend of mine also downloaded it, tried it, no improvements for him on performance. I can only figure its graphics cards. They say that this happened to a number of people when it went from Build 1.2 to Build 1.3. For me, its totally night and day difference via performance.

If people are running FSX fine, no issues, no hopping planes, blinking clouds or studders, you might stay with FSX then as P3D is very similar, almost identical. Scenery is a slight bit different, interface is totally different, 4096 ground textures now. So if FSX is running great for you, you might stay there.

Generation 2 of P3D is going to be about a year from now, just a heads up. Its quite a ways out there yet.

I don't know why I'm not seeing a great improvment, I would have thought that my graphics card should be adequate, it's a Nvidia GeForce 580. Ah well, as I said, I think I'll have to wait for V2.

Regards,
Ian.

Roger
April 7th, 2012, 13:03
I think experiences running P3D will vary as they do with many sims but the thing to remember that P3D is still being developed whereas development on FsX stopped 5 years ago.

VCN-1
April 8th, 2012, 09:06
I am running it and the only problem I have is the occasional CTD when I transfer aircraft over. The aircraft that will install directory in P3D don't seem to have a problem.

EZDOK does not work well in my case.

Does REX and GEX work?

VCN-1

Lionheart
April 8th, 2012, 09:59
I am running it and the only problem I have is the occasional CTD when I transfer aircraft over. The aircraft that will install directory in P3D don't seem to have a problem.

EZDOK does not work well in my case.

Does REX and GEX work?

VCN-1

Concerning REX, according to John (Big Kahoona) at P3D, yes. GEX I do not know if it has support yet.

More here; http://www.prepar3d.com/2011/10/27/rex-announce-support-for-prepar3d/

big-mike
April 8th, 2012, 12:09
Unfortunately it is forbidden to use GEX in P3D

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=40652&title=prepared-3d-port-over

Michael

Roger
April 8th, 2012, 12:33
That was last November...maybe Nick and team will see the light now. I'm more interested if UTX will function in P3D?

Meshman
April 8th, 2012, 14:22
That was last November...maybe Nick and team will see the light now.

Snicker.... I respectfully decline to say any more. :mixedsmi:

I'm more interested if UTX will function in P3D?

It was posted in the UTX forum a couple of days ago that this might be looked at. The developer of the Ultimate Terrain line of products is a nice guy, having worked with him for the FSX line of products. If there are enough requests or enough demand, I would expect it to happen.

crashaz
April 8th, 2012, 14:57
I willl be gettting it after I make like the Seven Dwarfs at tax time.

I owe,I owe...its off to work I go.:kilroy:

AussieMan
April 8th, 2012, 16:35
I have been running P3D for about 4 days now and am really impressed. It is not as twitchy as FSX and any stutteers I have had in the past have disappeared.

I have used the SBSLs to port the ORBX regions over as well as installing the OZx sceneries. Ii have also installed several other favourite sceneries and all seem to work fine.

The JF Constellation is a default aircraft and I have ported over the remainder of the JF aircraft plust several others like the WarbirdSim P-51s, Carenado aircraft, RealAir and several others. All seem to work fine with one exception. When I got to load the RA Spitfire MK IX I get a crash.

Only thing I miss is Real Weather.

All in all at the moment I would rate it an 8/10 because of several missing features.

IanHenry
April 8th, 2012, 23:46
Hi Aussieman,
Although I no longer run Prepar3D, I found that when I used it after running FSX and Active Sky 2012 (which I'd forgot to turn off), Active Sky was injecting real weather into Preper3D. Jsut an obsevation!

Regards,
Ian.

AusWilko
April 9th, 2012, 03:51
Well I own it and in around 18 hrs I should be able to install it, living in regional centers is great for some of the scenery and peace of life but the d/l speeds are bad :mixedsmi:

modelr
April 10th, 2012, 16:17
Hi Aussieman,
Although I no longer run Prepar3D, I found that when I used it after running FSX and Active Sky 2012 (which I'd forgot to turn off), Active Sky was injecting real weather into Preper3D. Jsut an obsevation!

Regards,
Ian.

I wonder if REX's active weather will work on it. I haven't installed any of my add-ons, yet, but am getting ready to. REX and SHADE first. (Shade does work, doesn't it??) (And UTX)

ZEUS67
April 10th, 2012, 17:57
I wonder if REX's active weather will work on it. I haven't installed any of my add-ons, yet, but am getting ready to. REX and SHADE first. (Shade does work, doesn't it??) (And UTX)

I would test SHADE first. LM has updated the shader and there may be compatibility issues.

Dangerous Beans
April 11th, 2012, 04:05
I've been using it for a few days now and I'm quite impressed.
I don't see any FPS improvements over FSX but it runs smooth and looks good so no problem there.
I had to splash out on EZDOK so I could use TrackIR (cant fly without Tir) and I'm impressed with that too.

Haven't ported any scenery over yet but I have ported over quite a few planes and other than some minor problem with two of them, one of which was easy to fix so far its been a breeze.

Only bug I've found so far have been with the ATC window.
When I open or close it my screen goes black for a second and moving and resizing it reverts when I open it next.
I posted about them on the LM P3D forum and one of the dev's acknowledged the move/resize bug and said theyed look into it.
The black screen thing could be a driver problem so I'll have to look into that one myself. currently running the 285.62's on my GTX580.

Lionheart
April 11th, 2012, 09:01
Only bug I've found so far have been with the ATC window.
When I open or close it my screen goes black for a second and moving and resizing it reverts when I open it next.
I posted about them on the LM P3D forum and one of the dev's acknowledged the move/resize bug and said theyed look into it.
The black screen thing could be a driver problem so I'll have to look into that one myself. currently running the 285.62's on my GTX580.

I get a 'pause' with ATC when I go to click on a field. My screen doesnt go black but the ATC 'request' will take sometimes 7 seconds roughly, (long seconds) until 'closest airports' popup.

This and Map tend to be very slow.

norab
April 14th, 2012, 18:09
had it for a day now and am quite happy so far. I hadd been hoping to move up from FS2004 to Flight but since that was such a disappointment, I'm glad this showed up.

Bruce Thompson
April 15th, 2012, 04:30
I have purchased the Academic version, dowloaded and flown a few short hops so far.
I have not tried porting any aircraft yet only scenery.
Got the SBSL's from ORBX for PNW, PJF, NZI , can't wait for their migration tool to be released
so I can load up all their other stuff, it's a good time to buy the ones youn ain't got while the sales on.

So far I can see a fair bit of tweaking will be needed, I think a Prepar3d Tweaks section could be rather handy,
could someone set one up please?

Roger
April 15th, 2012, 06:45
Good idea Bruce!
It could be a stickie thread for now and as time goes by we could ask Ickie for a sub forum.

Bruce Thompson
April 15th, 2012, 08:53
Good idea Bruce!
It could be a stickie thread for now and as time goes by we could ask Ickie for a sub forum.

Thank You Roger.:salute:

Bruce.