PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Repo

PRB
March 25th, 2012, 17:09
I guess this show has been on the Discovery Channel for a while. I've seen references to it for some time but thought it was waste of time to watch. How the heck do you repossess an airplane? You can't just grab the keys, start her up and drive off. There are FAA issues. You have to have current log books. The inspections have to be up to date. You need to make sure the plane is in good condition to fly. That means you need mechanics. If something needs fixing you have to have the talent to do that. If the plane is in another country you have more issues to work out. Customs, taxes, leans, fees, who knows? Then you need pilots. And lawyers to make it all legal and stuff. Banks are involved. And sometimes you have to sneak around local airport security to “make off” with “your” plane. Anyhow, I watched a couple of episodes tonight. Very interesting. In one they had to repo a Hawker 600 that was in such bad shape they decided to dismantle it and ship it in pieces. In another they had to grab two A-320s from a defunct startup airline. The planes were in France and Turley, and had maintenance “issues” to resolve. Kind of an interesting show.

SeanTK
March 25th, 2012, 19:06
While a majority of these "repo" shows are staged and fake, I think this one may actually have some truth to it, if it's the show I think you are referencing.

http://www.salon.com/2009/06/06/lear_jet_repo_man/

b52bob
March 25th, 2012, 19:47
Yep, Same guy thats on the show.

Must make pretty good money tooling around in a new Bentley and cruising in the sky with his private jet!'

beana51
March 25th, 2012, 20:09
These Shows are strictly entertainment!..I think!Not that Prepossessing is a service trained people do!.....Just to film ,whats supposed to be a Clandistine action..takes Trucks ,Crews,sound,LIGHTS CAMERA ACTION."MAKE UP"....But these Real guys are good...However when dealing in Stuff worth Millions????? Ya better believe lawyers are involved!....I knew this kid,long time ago..The REPS were after his Hot Rod!....So He put a string on it ,and ran it all the way to his bed room...tied a loop on his big toe!....Wel!..He woke up,String on his big toe,and felt he out smarted those Sneaks....Until he went to look at the car...Yep Gone!...Those guys border on being thieves or REPO guys!What ever pays best!!

av8erjm
March 26th, 2012, 05:55
I know a guy that did this for sereval years, but finally gave it up after being shot at, beat up etc. He did say there was good money in it though and that it was a genuine adrenalin rush

Willy
March 26th, 2012, 07:05
I knew a guy that repo'd for a few years. Until he got caught with some cars that he had no papers on. Turned out he was also stealing cars for a chop shop. I think he got out a few years ago.

Lionheart
March 26th, 2012, 11:03
For some reason, I just cant seem to get into this show. I have watched it a few times and it just makes me sick for some reason. Its almost like they set up a plan to go in and steal something, even though they have permission from the lean holder.

Nice to see some planes, but man... Felt bad for the owners...

stiz
March 26th, 2012, 11:33

i dont .. if you cant afford it or havent paid for it, miss payments etc you cant have it. Its all in the contract you sign!

AckAck
March 26th, 2012, 15:04
For some reason, I just cant seem to get into this show. I have watched it a few times and it just makes me sick for some reason. Its almost like they set up a plan to go in and steal something, even though they have permission from the lean holder.

There's a problem with that statement (and how you mean it) - the owners are the people that hired the guy to go repossess their plane... Once you've stopped paying for it, you have essentially stolen it. You shouldn't be feeling sorry for the people who have "stolen" the plane!

Wittpilot
March 26th, 2012, 15:37
I just watched it for the first time last night as well... The thing I couldn't get over was if you have an aircraft owner that was not making his scheduled payments on the loan, then why would he be paying out the $$ to keep her airworthy and the maintenance up to date???

It was an interesting show though, I wish I had seen an episode that wasn't about jets, never been a huge fan of the kerosine burners...

PRB
March 26th, 2012, 16:24
As an old navy jet maintainer, I found the maintenance issues, and how they resolved them, interesting. One of those A320s needed a new “brake manifold” or some such. Evidently the plane applies the brakes evenly between the left and right sides automatically, and this device controls the application of brake pressure. With one missing you could (would?) drive your A320 into a ditch on landing. The other Airbus needed a new FADEC. I know what those are, FA-18s have em. Something(F) Something(A) Digital Engine Controller. It was a good thing they had two A320s to grab, because they robbed one to get the other air worthy, and vice versa...

Bone
March 27th, 2012, 06:20
I used to know a guy that repo'd planes. He wanted me to join up with him, because I can get blocks of days off at a time and have airline pass privileges to get to anywhere in the world. It sounded exciting and somewhat swashbuckling, but not how I wanted to spend my days off.

Odie
March 27th, 2012, 12:36

Kind of feel that way when I'm watching Storage Wars on A&E when they open a unit and find an entire house/apartment..that's somebody's life in there.

Railrunner130
March 28th, 2012, 05:11
I've got to wonder about Repo. Some of it looks staged. If the bank wants that airplane back bad enough, I imagine the people they hire don't go on TV about what they do or how they do it. While I'm sure they make an attempt to obtain the logbooks and go through a preflight, I'm sure a lot of sins are overlooked (to a certain point) and they just grab it.

The company I worked for years ago did their own repo of sorts with a King Air. The guy wasn't paying on the airplane, fuel, maintenance or hangar fees. So, they put it in the back of the hangar behind the paying customers airplanes and they threw a prop lock on it. I don't recall what they ended up doing with it though. I imagine they went through the legal process to claim it and resold it.

n4gix
March 28th, 2012, 10:58
Yep, Same guy thats on the show.

Must make pretty good money tooling around in a new Bentley and cruising in the sky with his private jet!'

Several of the aircraft that've been repossesed by this gentleman are currently ramped at KGYY. Some have already been cut up for scrap. A few others are up for sale.

beana51
March 28th, 2012, 11:38
I wonder? This whole business of some losing their TOYS...not Corps.Thats a Lawyers Game there! But an average citizen....Are we really seeing the sign of the times at play?...All across the board now,the REPOS of Cars,Boats,Farm Equpment,new machienery, RVs,and more..Not much less are some with their homes....At most airports,General Aviation Twins are sitting, Tied Down,Wasp Condos!!at the Marinias ,big Boats are moored,,as we all know ..ITS COSTA A BUNDLE AN HOUR!...Now I'm not excusing Free loaders,irresponsible types,Wise guys,.Who HOODWINK the Sellers,and lenders,! Who should know better when giving credit!...But I see this Growing....One more hint ,which reflects the times. are the growing places where Second Hand Stuff.are offered!..More and More of these places popping up!..Some of us seen this before,and do not like to see it again!.....Today a Wing Tip for a C-172 costs $1,221,A Vertiucal Fin costs $20,449 A Battery costs $644 A Crank Shaft $ 16,990 a landing light lens $288...an Engine? ,Best Ya Sit Down..$ 86,298 ALL DOLLARS...a C-172. The "AVERAGE GUYS PLANE".....Now think a JET!...Now think I LOST MY JOB!Now think What do I do????...