PDA

View Full Version : Aileron Sensitivity

Moses03
March 24th, 2012, 09:27
Was trying to find this setting in the air file. Not sure which table it is. Thanks- Moses

Flusirainer
March 24th, 2012, 11:02
aircraft.cfg

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0
parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0
induced_drag_scalar = 1.0
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_effectiveness = 1.0
pitch_stability = 1.0
roll_stability = 1.0
yaw_stability = 1.0
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

Airfile with AirEd

Dev One
March 24th, 2012, 11:33
There are also two graphs:
342 & 518 in the .air file. These can be viewed & modified using AirEd or Aircraft Airfile Manager.
In AirEd move the highlighted shown x value line to the right using the right arrow on keyboard, then calling up the X value by pressing 'x' & the 'Y' value using, surprisingly 'y' & entering the numeric value required.
As always save a copy before modifying!

If one has additional aileron references in the 1500 blocks then these will overwrite the 1100 entries.
HTH
Keith

fliger747
March 25th, 2012, 09:52
Moses:

I reccomend Aircraft Airfile Manager for modification of any of the tables that require hex inputs. Table 342 affects the change in effectiveness with airspeed, an important factor in high speed aircraft. Primary Aerodynamics has a roll section which also has a great influence. For instance this is the area where you can set the effect the rudder has on roll (as in the F7F). There are also a number of tables which affect the roll at high AOA and stall/spin values.

AirEd is useful for copying a table over from a different airfile, or even adding a table which might be missing from your airfile.

Good luck! Tom

Dev One
March 25th, 2012, 12:28
Table 342 is not only useful for high speed sensitivity, it can also be used for 'sloppiness' near the stall - same goes for the equivalent rudder & most of all the elevator effectiveness near the stall.
Example: the Auster family are well known for their loss in effectiveness of the elevator on landing!
Keith

Dev One
March 25th, 2012, 23:51
I made a mistake above! It should be the 517,518,519 blocks that are related to speed for elevator, Aileron & rudder, 342 et al are to increase or decrease the effectiveness with respect to angle of deflection.
Keith

fliger747
March 26th, 2012, 11:21
Indeed, the above tables are useful for tuning the handling. For the F4U one would end up turning final into the groove for a deck landing one would end up with the stick over in the corner as aileron ran out of effectiveness for counteracting torque. Same with rudder.

Some aircraft would loose control effectiveness at high speed, an example being the Zero loosing roll effectiveness, or Mach induced elevator issues in say the P47.

One issue we can't simulate directly is control force limitations. At some point manual controls usually had a limitation of control force that could be applied by the pilot. We have to approach these issues indirectly through the speed related tables making them less effective with speed, where as they might be quite effective if the pilot had be a Gorilla.

T

Moses03
March 26th, 2012, 18:24
Thanks for the assistance fellas. I have a plan now.:salute:

Ivan
April 27th, 2012, 08:24
There is yet another table that changes effectiveness with G-load.

- Ivan.

Flusirainer
April 27th, 2012, 08:52
No!!!

342 vs Stick Position

453 vs Speed Mach

518 vs Dynamic Pressure (Dynamic Pressure = IAS^2 x 0.0033485)

1535 vs AOA

fliger747
April 28th, 2012, 12:02
Haven't seen a table for effectivness vrs G directly, but of course AOA variable tables such as 1535 and 1538 affect roll. High AOA is not always a high situation, but can be.

T

bstolle
April 30th, 2012, 23:20
There is yet another table that changes effectiveness with G-load.

Correct, table 546 = load factor vs aileron effectiveness scalar

Flusirainer
April 30th, 2012, 23:51
Correct, table 546 = load factor vs aileron effectiveness scalar

I do not know. I've found it now but in the aam.ini file.
Do you have a text version for AirUpdate? I want to test it.

bstolle
May 1st, 2012, 01:28
I don't have AirUpdate, but the default Extra airfile contains that table.

fliger747
May 1st, 2012, 17:16
Thanks Bernt, hadn't seen that one as many files don't include that entry.

A note for general interest, .AirEd can be used to add entries from another file that does have the desired tab.

Cheers: T

bstolle
May 1st, 2012, 20:45
To be more precise, the default Extra has this table only if you have Acceleration installed (the P-51 used this table as well). The Extra without Accel doesn't have it...