PDA

View Full Version : Feelthere Embraer Phenom 100

SeanTK
March 23rd, 2012, 14:49
So, who has this addon? What do you think of it? I haven't seen much in terms of reviews online, and the Feelthere forums indicate that it has a few bugs (but it looks like most are actually fixable by the end user).

http://www.feelthere.com/424_embraer-phenom-100-by-feelthere-le.html

I did find one short thread here at SOH about it, but it seems to have been written either right at or before release, and doesn't have much in the way of specific reviews, other than "I like it", etc.

I've been looking for a small commuter aircraft that's not too fast but not too slow either, and that is capable of operating at a variety of small to mid-sized airports. Visually, the plane looks great, but I want to hear more about it than what can be seen in screenshots.

I did find out that the repaints included are different than advertised, lacking the grey/orange livery (bummer, I liked that one!) and lacking registration numbers on the other liveries. That being said, I did locate files to add a couple of Brazilian regos to a few repaints, and managed to find a Swiss rego of one of the default paints (orange/black) too. My understanding is that the aircraft does not have an official repaint kit.
Also, is it FSX native?

I'll likely be flying this into airports without ILS capabilities, instead using RNAV approaches, VOR/DME, and/or NDB approaches, both hand flown and coupled to the autopilot. So, how do the navigation systems measure up?

Basically, I'm looking for a very throrough review of this aircraft. The visuals look great to me, but I want to make sure that the systems work. (I know it's a light product with basic systems, but I want to be sure that there are no outstanding issues.)

Thanks,
-Sean

Barfly
March 23rd, 2012, 18:15
Just got it yesterday - but out of town for a few days... Will give you a report when I get back.

Ark
March 23rd, 2012, 18:58
I have been wondering about this one as well. It definitely looks real nice.

thefrog
March 25th, 2012, 14:27
I bought it last week and I like it very much. It seems to be exactly what they claim: a fun v light jet to get in and fly around, but it's not for those into detailed systems and FMC programming etc. The vc is very well done (apart from too strong window reflections) and the plane is generally nice to fly either by hand or using the autopilot. There's also a good manual and tutorial in the package.
I purchased it from the Just Flight website and it's a bargain if you are a PC Pilot reader and use the Just Flight discount. There's a review in the Jan/Feb issue of Computer Pilot (available from Simmarket).
Frog

Barfly
March 26th, 2012, 18:17
As to what aircraft meets your criteria, tough call... IMO the Feelthere Phenom would be a perfect choice if it had full non-ILS GPS capability, and an up to date nav database like Navigraph. The Phenom is beautiful inside and out, has believable handling, models systems nicely (most systems are simple and automated IRL so not much to mess with), and has a very easy to use interface. By interface I mean the VC is sharp, so buttons and knobs needed in flight are easy to see from the pilot's viewpoint, and they are easily manipulated with a mouse. Mouse control is left/right click, or scroll to spin knobs, no need to hunt for funky clickspots. It has outstanding custom features like EGPWS and a very realistic TCAS, a copilot that makes some callouts, great sounds, and unobtrusive pieces of 2d control panels enabled by a simicon strip if you like that sort of thing. I'd rate it as a completely modern FSX addon, which integrates a moderate amount of complexity in a seemless package. Except for the FMS.

The FMS will automatically upload an FSX generated flight plan, has a 'direct-to' function, and an older database of approaches. I found selecting approaches problematic, as the approach selection would sometimes 'stick', and require exiting/reentering the 'Proc' page on the MFD. Sometimes there were several seconds of hesitation while tapping on the FMS knob to get the list to scroll. Also, once the appropriate approach and transition were selected, you can't 'connect the dots' between your FSX generated enroute flight plan, and the IAF on the approach. It seems the FMS can to one thing at a time, with no ability to edit waypoints. (I could be wrong, especially considering this is my first attempt at messing with a G1000, simulated or otherwise.)

I've gotten the autopilot to fly from the endpoint of the original flight plan to the selected IAF on the approach, as long as I didn't mess with it... in other words, don't try to go direct somewhere down the road or you'll delete everything but your new direct-to point. Also, if you 'activate' the approach in the FMS, there doesn't seem to be the required logic to drive the aircraft to the IAF. Just 'loading' the approach from the proc page seemed to work. (my experience after several trys... I could be screwing that up somehow..). Some of the functionality associated with WAAS approaches, including VNAV path control on autopilot, isn't there, so decent to step down altitudes is managed by the pilot. Also there is no autothrottle (except in cruise mode). Approach mode works with ILS loc and gs and that can be flown with AP.

In comparison, the slightly older Flight1 Mustang has outstanding capability to fly instrument procedures with a Navigraph database, and has noticeably better functionality in it's G1000. You can 'activate' your selected WAAS / GPS approach when near the arrival field, and it will fly to the IAF on autopilot. You can also decend automatically on a VNAV path with APR (approach mode, same as used for ILS) with the autopilot. Graphically the Mustang is slightly behind the Phenom, and the user interface in the cockpit is not nearly as slick. It heavily relys on click spots near knobs unlike the Phenom, which is certainly more awkward.. it's just takes a little more thought and time to select things. Pop up 2d panels are available and compensate for this a bit but are huge and really get in the way of the VC in my opinion when you're trying to fly.

Both aircraft require a review of the .pdf flight manuals before jumping in and taking off, though neither is super complex. As an alternative, you may want to consider a fast turbo prop, like the PMDG 4100 or Realair duke... I have both and will give em a spin around the instrument pattern a few times to compare them to the above. Some type of aircraft that can use all the functionality of the RXP GPS addons may be a good bet for instrument approach work. Hope this mini-review is somewhat helpful.

G.

SeanTK
March 26th, 2012, 18:45
I greatly appreciate your summary of this addon! That's the kind of detail I was looking for in an explanation!

I've decided to wait for the upcoming Carenado Beechcraft King Air C90 after seeing what you had to say about the Phenom. :)

(Note: I do have the PMDG Jetstream, and it's a great aircraft!)

Barfly
March 26th, 2012, 19:08
NP :) My dream machine is PMDG TBM 850 with fully functional G1000... I think I will be waiting a long time, lol.

thefrog
March 27th, 2012, 03:38
[QUOTE=SeanTK;697332]I've decided to wait for the upcoming Carenado Beechcraft King Air C90 after seeing what you had to say about the Phenom. :)
QUOTE]

I couldn't imagine a more different type of aircraft! Shame that the "mini-review" above put you off the Phenom because it's excellent.

Lionheart
March 27th, 2012, 08:45
This is why I never trust reviews. I will always (usually) get something I want if it catches my eye and make my own assessments on it myself.

It can be like movies or books. Some people will utterly hate a movie you would really enjoy, and vice versa. Some people would hate Star Wars, but you might fall in love with it, etc, etc. Some people are so critical, that their entire experience can be ruined by them finding that the landing gear linkage wasnt perfect deep inside the wheel well, where others will have never noticed that and thus they do not buy it because of that report and yet they will never look up in that well to see the issue, or probably couldnt see what the person was talking about when looking at it.

Mind you, there are some great reviews out there that bring out good things about planes, but some (some) might be overly critical and think its their responsibility to only bring out the flaws instead of a healthy balance of both.

If you think something is possibly something you would really like, why not try it? If you have a gut feeling about not getting it, you might go with that. Dont let the world tell you what to like and dislike.

My humble two cents.

Bill

SeanTK
March 27th, 2012, 09:55
*sigh*

Well, I am choosing to pick one aircraft, and I'm a fan of mid-sized turboprops also, and I know the Carenado King Air will get much use from me.
I've read enough statements on Feelthere's forum, in concert with the review above, to give me pause when considering the aircraft, so the King Air now takes priority. I'm not making this decision off of one forum response. I've done my "homework" on this.
I'm sure that the Feelthere model is still very good for most purposes, but for now, I'm choosing an aircraft that, out of the box, should be able to do everything I'm hoping for, with likely fewer issues (never had a problem with Carenado aircraft before), and a great visual model. The repaint potential with the King Air is also very high, as I don't think Feelthere have even issued a paint kit for the Phenom.

The above being said, I've been reminded of the existence of the Epic Victory VLJ, and although its an experimental aircraft, I may look into it over the Phenom in the future too.

As flight sim addons are not something one can temporarily "try out"...consequentially meaning after you buy it you're committed and can't return it, I want to be absolutely confident that it's something that I'll enjoy in the future.

Thanks for the assistance.

elcamino
March 28th, 2012, 05:30
I've decided to wait for the upcoming Carenado Beechcraft King Air C90 after seeing what you had to say about the Phenom.

OhMan! Really!! I'd love a very well done king air from carenado..

Barfly
March 28th, 2012, 07:44
To add to my initial comments, overall I'd highly recommend this little airplane. Although it doesn't implement the G1000 to the degree I'd prefer, and some other hardcore instrument flyers might prefer, it still a great little flyer, and relatively simple like the real thing. Easy handling, mechanically simple, you can easily fly to an airport on autopilot and use normal autopilot functions to assist in flying approaches if desired, or just hand fly it.

I put relatively up-to-date WAAS database and VNAV/LNAV autopilot capability high on my personal list things to have in an FSX jet, as I use that a lot IRL and it is the wave of the future. VOR and NDB approaches are fun and challenging to fly, but it's nice to have bleeding edge RNAV stuff to play with. Of course only a few FSX craft have good RNAV approach capability as far as I know... Flight1 has the Mustang and C182T Skylane, PMDG NGX of course.

Are there any other addons that have a full suite of VNAV/LNAV 'non-ILS' approaches, along with departure and arrival procedures? Do the newer Carenado offerings have some type of autopilot coupled VNAV capability for non-ILS stuff?