PDA

View Full Version : Making invisible textures

Landman
March 22nd, 2012, 04:13
In what way would I need to alter a texture file to make parts of the aircraft invisible? I want to invisify the yoke in a few virtual cockpits so I can see the instruments better. I know it can be done because I downloaded a set of replacement textures for the MAAM Sim DC-3 that makes the yoke invisible. I used dxtbmp and paint.net to try it myself but my yoke came out pitch black instead of invisible. Is there something I need to do in the alpha channel as well?

fsafranek
March 22nd, 2012, 08:48
In what way would I need to alter a texture file to make parts of the aircraft invisible? I want to invisify the yoke in a few virtual cockpits so I can see the instruments better. I know it can be done because I downloaded a set of replacement textures for the MAAM Sim DC-3 that makes the yoke invisible. I used dxtbmp and paint.net to try it myself but my yoke came out pitch black instead of invisible. Is there something I need to do in the alpha channel as well?
In FS9 you would use an alpha channel as part of the texture file. But this also requires that the part the texture is being applied to will handle the alpha channel the right way. By that I mean will it become transparent or will it become reflective. Pure black in an alpha channel with either make the part invisible or it will appear as chrome. If you aren't using an alpha channel for the black you will end up with a black part.

If it is FSX and you use an alpha channel in the same way it will remove the yoke but it will also remove everything beyond it and you'll be looking at the ground through a hole the shape of the yoke. (Anyone has a solution or alternate method in that case?)

Here's a quick how-to on alpha channels at simmerspaintshop: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/f6-photoshop/adding-alpha-channel-1288/
They have a good tutorial section and forum so a search will find you plenty to go through.

Some forward thinking modelers have included a switch or button that can be clicked to remove the yoke. There might be something in the documentation of the particular aircraft.

Hope this helps.
:ernae: