PDA

View Full Version : RE: New search for Amelia Earhart's remains will start this July

brad kaste
March 20th, 2012, 09:48
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/20/10774735-us-joins-search-for-amelia-earhart-remains-after-new-photo-analysis

The search will go on for ten days,....and the Discovery Channel will do the filming of the expedition. State of the art equipment will be used.

beana51
March 20th, 2012, 09:53
Thanx .God Forsaken Place!..Tropical Hell!...Fairly well depicted in FSX....GOOGLE Earth ..shows it for what it is.....Hope they find the Ole Girl!! http://images.proboards.com/wink.gif

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/googleearth2012-03-2000-37-05-43.jpg

Bomber_12th
March 20th, 2012, 10:50
No faith at all in "TIGHAR", after all of their past failed attempts, so-called evidence, and continued fund-raising measures (on top of the fact that Washington/politics are now being tied in with them). The one thing that has me a bit more keen, however, is that it seems Robert Ballard will play some part in this expedition, who I very much respect, and who I would have to believe must feel that there is some substantial merit to search where they will be.

I've seen the photo they describe (it was shown in a documentary that aired last year), and it did seem a bit interesting (even though the rest of the show wasn't worth watching). Searching for the photo on the internet, I haven't been able to find it, which suggests to me that perhaps they want to keep it as much a secret (and away from out-side study) as possible.

aeromed202
March 20th, 2012, 12:21
61610If the photo is that thought to be a "wheel strut" I just saw it and will try to post it. I don't for the life of me know how that description arose from that grainy, distant smudge just breaking the surface. But that aside, Amelia's whole story has always had my interest so it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Found the Bevington photo that claims to show the "strut" within the red box.

beana51
March 20th, 2012, 12:37
Begs the Question??..why did they just not Wade out,Row out ,Whatever????...If that was a Strut,or a Wheel!...BINGO!...But they did not!!....Any Reason why???

aeromed202
March 20th, 2012, 12:52
Here is part of the photo background from The Earhart Project; Hiding in Plain Sight.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/57_Bevingtonphoto/57_HidinginSight.htm

" The photograph that may show the plane was taken in October 1937 by Eric Bevington, then a Cadet Officer of the British Gilbert & Ellice Islands Colony. The Earhart/Noonan flight had vanished three months earlier on July 2nd. Bevington was part of a small expedition sent to investigate the islands of the Phoenix Group for possible settlement. He took a number of personal photographs, one of which appears to have taken from a small boat just off the west end of Nikumaroro, then known as Gardner Island. The dominant object in the photo is the wreck of the British freighter SS Norwich City which ran aground in a storm and burned on the night of November 29, 1929. Near the extreme left side of the frame something appears to be sticking up out of the water near the reef edge. "

So it's a review of an old photo.

CWOJackson
March 20th, 2012, 16:37
THAT is what they're pinning this whole project on?

It looks like an anchor buoy; which would have solicited no undue interest by the cadet or crew and would have been consistant with that island's history.

beana51
March 20th, 2012, 17:05
October 1937 by Eric Bevington, then a Cadet Officer must have known of Amelia!....I would think at that moment he could have never connected any dots...There were none then.His attention was that ship.Only in hindsight ,75 yrs later we can guess!,,,I think ,that if what he saw,photographed,looked really out of place,or unusual,the young officers curiosity may have checked it out...no matter what it was....But he did not...Tells me he seen nothing out of place...the picture shows the ship. He aimed his camera dead center Ship some what to the right,and ...something far left......75 yrs ago...Wonder if that young man then is around,still in the time frame of possible life?....But of course that scenero is only in my dreams.....Amelia,seems cannot rest in peace yet..

Toastmaker
March 21st, 2012, 11:59
Amelia ? She's ok. . .

:running:

Odie
March 21st, 2012, 12:19
No faith at all in "TIGHAR", after all of their past failed attempts, so-called evidence, and continued fund-raising measures (on top of the fact that Washington/politics are now being tied in with them). The one thing that has me a bit more keen, however, is that it seems Robert Ballard will play some part in this expedition, who I very much respect, and who I would have to believe must feel that there is some substantial merit to search where they will be.

I've seen the photo they describe (it was shown in a documentary that aired last year), and it did seem a bit interesting (even though the rest of the show wasn't worth watching). Searching for the photo on the internet, I haven't been able to find it, which suggests to me that perhaps they want to keep it as much a secret (and away from out-side study) as possible.

Agree about Ballard, Bomber. Titanic, Bismark, PT109, he has a track record for locating lost things in a BIG place....

TARPSBird
March 21st, 2012, 12:49
The unidentified object in the ship photo is a very shaky starting point for this expedition. I spent 20+ years in the Navy as a photo interpreter and I'd love to meet the "experts" who linked that blurry image to a chunk of Lockheed landing gear or any other aircraft component. Nevertheless, I hope they at least find identifiable fragments of the aircraft so Amelia and Fred can rest in peace and it will put an end to these search stories that seem to recycle at 6-month intervals and nothing conclusive is ever found.

Bomber_12th
March 21st, 2012, 15:05
That is the same photo I remember, and it is far less convincing than it was made out to be in last year's documentary.

beana51
March 21st, 2012, 18:17
Interesting Historically!

http://www.ameliaearhart.com/

mrogers
March 22nd, 2012, 00:04
We'll just have to wait and see what happens, Isn't this the same island where bones and some things were found but could not be confirmed that it was their remains due to so much time having passed with the DNA all gone? If the plane remains are found then two and two will be clicked together and the mystery solved.