PDA

View Full Version : pCARS

wombat666
March 18th, 2012, 19:11
I decided to sign up at 'middle management level', and have been really pleased I did, despite the 'upgrades' being around 2.5G each week.
61509 61510 61511 61512 61518
Favourite car? Caterham.
My driving really needs to improve to match the performane of the bigger cars!
:jump:

wombat666
March 18th, 2012, 19:19
This wee beastie is a blast to drive and I will get better at it.
:kilroy:

61513 61514 61515 61516 61517

Running at 1980x1020x120Hz with all settings maxed I get a steady and smooth 110FPS in clear weather and 80FPS on an overcast day.
I expect it to drop off as more complex scenerey and cars become available but it is not wildy resource hungry yet.

Daveroo
March 19th, 2012, 08:34
is Pcars as simulation/game for offline? or is it a online thing?....looks nice

wombat666
March 20th, 2012, 03:58
is Pcars as simulation/game for offline? or is it a online thing?....looks nice

What is pCARS?
Project CARS is the first title in the WMD (World of Mass Development) Portal. It's a game in development with daily updates, improvements, bug fixes, enhancements and new content additions by the SMS developers. When you have signed up to WMD and bought a Tool Pack, you can participate in this development by downloading game builds, testing the game and reporting bugs, proposing changes or additions and voting for content, development direction and other things. You get to interact with the SMS developers in the WMD forums directly, which means better and faster bug finding and fixing in the game and better implementation of what you want in the game.

What is expected from you?
First of all, you'll be testing the game and providing feedback to the devs in the pCARS forums. Since the game is in development and there will always be things that will be missing or not working correctly, feedback needs to be constructive and explicit. Stating that something doesn't work or that you don't like it will not help the development of the game unless you state why you don't like it or in what way it doesn't work.
A second part of your 'job' is to make sure that the game is shown properly and promoted to the 'outside world', i.e. on the internet outside the forums. That means that you can tell everyone about the project and encourage them to join, and when promoting the game through videos or screenshots you should make sure that you stress the good sides and not what needs fixing or what is absent. When making pictures or videos of problems with the game, post them only on the WMD forums or use links that are 'private'.

Installation/removal
The game comes with an installer that will automatically remove any previous builds, and it will ask to reset your profile in case of important updates. The game should make two desktop shortcuts, one for the DX9 version of the game and one for the DX11 version. If this does not happen, you can make the shortcuts yourself from the pcars.exe file in the main pCARS installation folder. The DX11 version is simply a shortcut to the same file with ' -dx11' added to the Target Path of the shortcut.

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?2759-Project-CARS-QuickStart-ReadMe

Ferry_vO
March 20th, 2012, 07:17
I thought you would skip early releases of race sims..? :icon_lol:

How does it compare to GTR2/Evo or the NFS:Shift series?

stiz
March 20th, 2012, 09:16
and does it have AI for us more semi-offline racers?? :engel016:

wombat666
March 21st, 2012, 05:48
How about if I plead insanity Ferry?
It seemed like a good idea at the time and to be honest, I like the concept, the developers actually implement genuine suggestions from the paid up members.
Light years ahead of GTR/Evo and similar to NFS2 [without the dumb voiceovers] in appearance, but with far more options [similar to rFactor] for chassis, suspension, brakes etc tuning.
I like the handling of most cars, they are very progressive and almost as real as a full size vehicle, within reason of course.
The fact that I can actually feel the car becoming twitchy and being able to catch it does it for me.
At present it does become a frame hog with a decent grid, but it is early days and I believe that is not an ongoing problem.
I like good scenery and this is better than anything I've come across so far, and most of it is still under construction.
And yes stitz, AI is there, not very friendly and rather feral at times [AI Rage?] but again, early days.

***Ah! Of course, that was DiRT3!
Well, considering it was purchased through a retail outlet in supposedly finished form I rest my case.
At least pCARS is an unashamed 'pre Alpha beta' [or near enough] and I get weekly 'new builds' and daily [if available] 'patches'.

wombat666
March 21st, 2012, 05:53
'Road America'.
Driving through light and shadow is almost like RL!

61674 61675 61678 61676 61677