PDA

View Full Version : Any Guitar Players Out There?

EasyEd
March 18th, 2012, 15:17
Hey All,

Occasionally I see folks posting what else they are doing. Well this is my latest...

Learning guitar - electric no less. Coming from a mandolin background it is challenging - challenging but fun and it turns out my mandolin teacher was right - guitar is easier - but so different. Such a long long long neck...

I got one of these for my B-day a month ago.

http://www.art-mania.eu/images/produits/grand-format/G5435T_Black.jpg

Gretsch ProJet - (for the guitar heads) Filtertron pickups, licensed Bigsby, a no f-hole semi-hollow mahogany body... It's not a Telecaster or a Les Paul it's a Gretsch and sounds like one!

Here is a Gretsch ProJet exactly the same as mine except gold paint instead of black being used in a performance by the Octanes in San Antonio. A little rockabilly - if you want to miss the ad style stuff skip to 0:45.

j_3gi8qfxa0&feature=youtu.be

Fun Stuff!

-Ed-

Warhawk1130
March 18th, 2012, 15:34
Thats nice, but I am a Gibson/Ovation man myself...I have had my 1979 ES335 for many years. I am sure you will love the transition to guitar...keep practicing!

Milton Shupe
March 18th, 2012, 16:56
Great guitar Ed. Congrats!

I too am a Gibson Les Paul Custom lover, and Ovation accoustic, but you have a real gem there. Enjoy it!

pilottj
March 18th, 2012, 20:46
Hey Ed, have fun with the guitar. I never learned the guitar..am an 88 key man myself :)

I found these good videos a while back of BB King giving some pointers. His vibrato and string bending techniques make for great sounding riffs:icon29:
Enjoy:salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVe24YFGoiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlAY-SWh7o&feature=related

Cheers
TJ

Moses03
March 19th, 2012, 09:49
Nice one Ed. All those retro looking Gretsch electrics are neat. I have a Gretsch G3700 acoustic/electric and love it.

Have fun with the Bigsby!

PCAviator
March 20th, 2012, 05:52
I'm a learner player, and not very good but getting there... I've got a Fender Squier Strat and a Les Paul Std, and a cheap bass for a bit of variety. I'm quite interested in the architecture of creating new sounds through my various effects processors more than playing but one day when I get more time to devote to it, it may all come together. Check youtube as there are many tens of thousands of guitar tutorials done by some talented players there that are workth watching, for inspiration if nothing else.

aeronca1
March 20th, 2012, 07:03
I used to play a lot in my younger years, but the only "axe" I have left is my '72 Les Paul Custom.

b52bob
March 20th, 2012, 08:10
Once you get by the tender fingers you've got it made.

Best guitar I ever had was a Trini Lopez Gibson. Very rare. Think ES-335 with a Fender neck and tuners.

Now just getting by with my Ovation.

stuartcox
March 20th, 2012, 09:35
I could never count to six, so I started playing bass guitar 32 years ago!
Still playing almost every day and visiting weekly jam-sessions. I even made a bit of money out of my hobby by becoming a sales rep for 'Schack' bass guitars in Germany 1990.
My latest performance of the 'Snow Shuffle'...: