PDA

View Full Version : Aerosim YS-11

SeanTK
March 18th, 2012, 14:58
If a warning statement like this is not allowed, I apologize, and trust that the mods will delete this.

Long story short, after a series of full computer upgrades, and the assumption that I backed up everything I needed, and that I could re-download the payware files I previously purchased (since I keep my receipts/proofs of purchase), it turns out I was wrong.

I used to be the proud owner of the only FSX-native, fully working NAMC YS-11 turboprop, produced by Aerosim.
Cost..US$35.
Purchased: August 8, 2010.

I've tried the old FS2002/4-era AFG model port, but beyond having visual issues in FSX, the systems and some gauges don't work right. The AFG model is what got me interested in the YS-11 during FS2002/4, and was a great product that got regular usage in its time.
The Aerosim model provided continued YS-11 enjoyment as I started to make the full switch over to FSX.

Here's the product page:
http://www.aerosim.co.jp/eigo/a-product_e/fsx_e/ys11fsx_e/ys11_fsx_e.html

Despite having a full proof of purchase email, RegNow (the file distributor Aerosim uses) claims that they cannot do anything due to the age of the purchase (apparently less than 2 years ago is a long time).

Upon discovering this, I took the stance that it could be understandable...their database apparently doesn't go back that far, so I contact Aerosim directly.
Their response" "The download link was available only at RegNow. We are not able to help you. Sorry."

Short and not-so-sweet.

So, in order to access a product that I paid for less than 2 years ago, and have the full receipt for, I have to repurchase it in full. I would even understand a $5 "re-activation" fee that some shops do, but a "nope, tough luck" response is not something I was expecting.

Moral of the story....be extra, extra thorough when backing up your payware files, because to some companies, receipts/proofs of purchase mean nothing. Don't assume that all past purchases, regardless of how much documentation you have, will be honored.
I've learned a lesson today about assumptions, and I hope this experience serves as a reminder to those that may be doing a system upgrade in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Roger
March 18th, 2012, 15:02
Hi Sean,
That certainly is not acceptable and I will attempt to contact Aerosim to establish the problem.

Roger
March 18th, 2012, 15:10
I have e-mailed the company and look forward to a favourable reply.

SeanTK
March 18th, 2012, 15:32
Thanks very much. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

ryanbatc
March 19th, 2012, 09:15
Sorta common sense to backup your stuff...

Some companies like PMDG make you pay a little extra if you lose your backup.

Roger
March 19th, 2012, 10:21
Nothing heard yet.

SeanTK
March 19th, 2012, 11:25
Sorta common sense to backup your stuff...

Some companies like PMDG make you pay a little extra if you lose your backup.

Yep, and I thought I was as thorough as I needed to be with it. Sorting through financial, personal, etc documents and files, backing up my own FS creations and those that I know are no longer available, etc.

With most of my purchases, all I have to do is log into my account and redownload. This applies to my PMDG item (Jetstream) since I went through Aerosoft, and I have not had a problem with any other products.

I suppose it is my fault for forgetting to back up that file and assuming that they operate like every other of the dozen companies I have stuff from, but it seems strange to me that they are in no way honoring the previous purchase since I have the full reciept. As I clearly mentioned in the original message, I don't mind paying a smaller "link reactivation fee" but I'm not expecting to have to pay for the entire product again in full.

I'm also puzzled as to why a purchase database wouldn't even go back a year and a half, but that's out of my control too.

Roger,
At this point, I would be surprised if they respond. It's probably an "out of sight, out of mind" situation from their perspective.
Likely a lost cause, so I'll just consider repurchasing it sometime in the distant future.
Again, I thank you for the assistance.

ryanbatc
March 19th, 2012, 12:25
I agree their email might have been short...

So it's not like a .key file that F1 uses or anything?

I've got a huge list of my planes, their serial and order numbers etc, and then all those key files and the original installers.

SeanTK
March 19th, 2012, 13:01
I agree their email might have been short...

So it's not like a .key file that F1 uses or anything?

I've got a huge list of my planes, their serial and order numbers etc, and then all those key files and the original installers.

No, they don't use a key file like Flight1 does. Basically you order it through their webpage, and it winds it's way through resulting in RegNow (who I think RealAir also uses, or at least used to use) providing the download link.
I have the original "thank you for purchasing" email from RegNow, detailing when I made the purchase, what I purchased, my name, address, phone number, order number, etc, etc, etc.
My first step was contacting RegNow, and they said that the order is too old for them to help me at all, so I contacted Aerosim, and they said quite simply that they can't help me, as outlined above.

I'm a commuter aircraft (turboprops, high capacity pistons, etc) enthusiast, and I really enjoyed the product, so I'll probably see what my life and simming situation is at the end of the year and consider another purchase.
I still don't feel that it's necessary, but I don't have much of a choice at this point if they're refusing their own receipts.
This isn't a case of someone saying "hey, I purchased this last year, here's my name, but I don't have a receipt or anything. Can I have it?" I have as much documentation as they provided to me.

Yet another adventure in commerce..... :icon_lol:

Deano
March 19th, 2012, 16:03
Personally, i cant see what the problem is as to why they won't give you another download ?

SeanTK
March 19th, 2012, 16:23
Personally, i cant see what the problem is as to why they won't give you another download ?

It's a mystery to me as well, since I have all the purchasing documentation.
Maybe it's their attempt at a money-grab or something...who knows...

I just sent RegNow another email politely expressing my disappointment and frank confusion as to why I simply cannot be issued another download, and am awaiting a response.
It looks as if Aerosim never got back to a follow up email I sent the day this issue started, nor have they responded to Roger.
As I said, it's likely a lost cause, but we'll just give RegNow one more chance to see if they can do anything.

SeanTK
March 20th, 2012, 07:37
Good news:

RegNow has issued me another download. Everything's sorted now!

big-mike
March 20th, 2012, 07:42
Glad you got it sorted.
I had a similar experience with FCS over days until i got new dl links.
Very annoying.
Michael

Roger
March 20th, 2012, 12:56
Good news:

RegNow has issued me another download. Everything's sorted now!

Glad to hear it:costum:

Roger
March 21st, 2012, 15:52
As an advisory of Aerosim's policy here is the reply to my e-mail querying Sean's problem of not being offered a fresh download link even after he had given evidence of proof of purchase:

"In reply to your e-mail of 18 Mar 2012, please be informed that:

the following is an extract from the NOTE on our Online Shopping site,

http://www.aerosim.co.jp/eigo/tu2_e/tu2_e_fsX.htm (mhtml:{11CCCA25-8261-4624-833F-143B9F575BE3}mid://00000010/!x-usc:http://www.aerosim.co.jp/eigo/tu2_e/tu2_e_fsX.htm)

Once the product is downloaded, the customers shall be responsible for
saving and keeping products at a safe place. We will not be made liable
or held responsible for loss of the product on customers side.
Unquote

and, when our product is purchased from the site of RegNow, the customers
receive the download link from RegNow with the following Download
Information,

Download Information - You have 14 days to download before the links expire
The product may be downloaded from: (skipped)
Unquote

As such, our customer is given by RegNow to understand that the download link
of RegNow is only valid for a limited time.

We thank you for taking your time in this matter.

Sincerely,
support_e team
AeroSim"

Evidently RegNow disagreed and offered Sean a download link. I'm glad they did because Aerosim's policy would assure me that I would never risk a purchase from them.