PDA

View Full Version : IRIS PRO Series F-14A & F-14B Tomcat

simkid22
December 22nd, 2008, 20:39
Now available in the IRIS store! FSX native and fully compatible with SP2 and Acceleration (SP1 patch coming after the new year) and FS9 version to follow too! Just in time for the holidays.

For those of you who have purchased the F-14 Version 1.5 direct from us or from one of our many vendors, please e-mail a copy of your proof of purchase for your Premium series product to david@irissimulations.com in order to upgrade from premium to PRO at a discounted value!
http://irissimulations.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=114

JohnC
December 22nd, 2008, 20:44
Do you know if Banana Bob's fantastic repaints work on the new one?

simkid22
December 22nd, 2008, 20:46
*head desk* I need to read before posting, yes the mapping is the same so all the previous textures will work on the new models!

Barvan40
December 22nd, 2008, 21:17
Looks fantastic, can't wait to burn up the sky with this and get 'er dirty! :ernae:

Barry

Kiwikat
December 22nd, 2008, 21:52
Initial flight was a lot of fun until my canopy fogged up. I had to crack open the manual and actually read some of it. :costumes:

Nice work, IRIS.

Marlin
December 23rd, 2008, 00:49
Oh man, no screenshots?

What wrong with you guys?:costumes: Lets see that bubble fogging up!!!!!

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 01:07
Here's a selection...lots more on the IRIS forum.. ;)

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_11.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_12.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_13.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_14.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_15.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_16.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_17.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_18.jpg

IanP
December 23rd, 2008, 02:14
No VF-41 Jet. Nope. Not getting it without a VF-41 jet. :costumes:

Ian P.

mjrhealth
December 23rd, 2008, 03:02
Well just did my purchase , off to bank in morning, being waiting for this.

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 03:17
Which one is VF-41 Ian? I'll have a word in the ear of one of the painttechs... :)

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 03:18
BTW, the more people buy the easier it is for me to pursade the lass with the pursestrings that I can treat myself to FSPassengers X...

Support payware, so I can help support payware..lmao!:costumes:

guzler
December 23rd, 2008, 03:51
This looks great, although the paints could do with more weathering / shading and darkening of the intake ducts to add depth. :ernae:

Looking forward to buying this one

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 03:58
This looks great, although the paints could do with more weathering / shading and darkening of the intake ducts to add depth. :ernae:

Looking forward to buying this one

Then what would the repainters do to stretch their artistic muscles.. ;)

IanP
December 23rd, 2008, 04:01
T'was a joke, David. I'm not even 100% sure I got the Squadron number right (I was aiming for "Black Aces"... I'm sure there'll be a repaint along at some point...)

I'll be getting this one as soon as I can. :)

Ian P.

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 04:09
Ah yes, sarcasm is lost on me at the moment... I've been flat out with 18-20 hour days for a week getting this one ready...and even I have found a couple of bugs..lol.

Still I can get those sorted in an hour or two and have time to take time off for Christmas. I can't tell you how damn good it feels to be taking time off! lol

Vigilius
December 23rd, 2008, 04:38
You're right, Black Aces are VF-41

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/store/images/F-14-042-W1.jpg

IanP
December 23rd, 2008, 04:47
Glad I was right, even though I now have Mötorhead stuck in my head again...

Enjoy your break, David!

Any repainter interested in doing me a VF-41 livery please? :costumes:

Ian P.

noddy
December 23rd, 2008, 04:58
If the mapping etc is the same as the previous model Banana Bob did a few skins including a Black Aces scheme. http://www.screenshotworld.com/forum/index.php?automodule=downloads&showcat=6&sort_by=DESC&sort_key=file_submitted&num=10&st=10

And they are dirty birds to, don't forget Pablo Diaz (http://www.screenshotworld.com/forum/index.php?showuser=24) paint as well, all can be found SSW.

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 05:29
Aye,

The F-14 was repainted many many times and this was one factor we stuck with.. The mapping is exactly the same..basically all you need to do is convert your maps from bmp to dds and you're set to go.

(They should even work straight in on the B model too!)

:wiggle:

simkid22
December 23rd, 2008, 07:16
If no one else will (which i highly doubt) I'll get some more F-14 textures out when i get back to my virtual paint booth. And some VF-41 just for you Ian :icon_lol:.

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 08:05
Not till you've done my red Grim Reapers paint...lol... :P

:173go1:

simkid22
December 23rd, 2008, 08:38
Yes boss...:isadizzy::icon_lol:

pernik
December 23rd, 2008, 11:51
Yaaay she's back, my favourite bird in my favourite repaint sitting pretty in FSX.
Thanks to all involved

added a shot of the FS9 VF-41 repaint, I simply shoved the bmp's into FSX a little bit of jiggery pokery and bingo. Thanks for keeping the mapping the same

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 12:12
Stunning... :)

warchild
December 23rd, 2008, 12:53
Yaaay she's back, my favourite bird in my favourite repaint sitting pretty in FSX.
Thanks to all involved

added a shot of the FS9 VF-41 repaint, I simply shoved the bmp's into FSX a little bit of jiggery pokery and bingo. Thanks for keeping the mapping the same

Dude.. those are awesome :) .. Please send more :D :D

Killbilly
December 23rd, 2008, 14:46
Here I am with the dreaded FPS question: what kind of performance are you guys getting compared to, say, the Acceleration Hornet?

In other words, find "y".

Acceleration F-18 = "x" FPS.

Iris F-14 = "x - y" FPS.

"y" = ?

:mixedsmi:

stovall
December 23rd, 2008, 15:08
For me Killbilly, it is x + y = 27-30

On my rig the Iris F-14 gets much better FPS than the default Hornet.

Regards, Tom

mjrhealth
December 23rd, 2008, 17:37
Wow, now i just have to learn all the buttons, love the HUD makes it easy to stay level in turns.

Smudge
December 23rd, 2008, 17:44
Yep, that HUD is sweeeeet.. :)

For peoples info, I've finally finished adding annotations to all the vids, so we've got some instructional videos now, from cold and dark startup, departing the boat (if you have acceleration), VDI and HSD use, Compressor Stalls and my trip around the boat at night!

They're located on the product page, just scroll down and click on the vids..

http://irissimulations.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=114

Regards

David

Killbilly
December 23rd, 2008, 18:30
For me Killbilly, it is x + y = 27-30

On my rig the Iris F-14 gets much better FPS than the default Hornet.

Regards, Tom

Thanks, man. That's what I was hoping to hear. I know it's different for every rig, but that gives me confidence. :ernae:

mjrhealth
December 23rd, 2008, 23:30
And for those F14 buffs, lots of info.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-landingpattern.htm

Enjoy

guzler
December 24th, 2008, 03:47
Thanks to all involved

WOW, where do I get that repaint from on the left ? That's incredible :jump:

pernik
December 24th, 2008, 05:31
WOW, where do I get that repaint from on the left ? That's incredible :jump:

It's Pablo Diaz's dirtied up version of the VF-1 paint for the FS9 F14. It can be found HERE (http://www.screenshotworld.com/forum/index.php?automodule=downloads)you'll have to register I'm afraid, but shouldn't take long. Once downloaded I converted the files from bmp to dds and added to FSX as usual.

guzler
December 24th, 2008, 08:16
They are great, really bring it to life, thanks for the link Pernik

flewpastu
December 24th, 2008, 12:27
Ive added the shockwave lights to the Big T

light.8 = 5, 23.0, 0.0, -2.0, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow

Same location as the FS9 model. If anyone is interested I was able to add auto smoke for exhaust, Ill post if anyone wants it.

Bill

Boomer
December 25th, 2008, 17:15
I will be getting this!

Loved your FS9 version & BB's paints still working are icing on the cake!

noddy
December 26th, 2008, 01:25
Some of my efforts.

I do seem to have a problem with the textures around the gear area on the coverted paints though.

Looking a the shot by Pernik, he has the same trouble.

pernik
December 26th, 2008, 01:36
Some of my efforts.

I do seem to have a problem with the textures around the gear area on the coverted paints though.

Looking a the shot by Pernik, he has the same trouble.

yes there are two extra textures in the new model maingear_right_t.dds and maingear_left_t.dds these appear to replace the original maingear.bmp

noddy
December 26th, 2008, 01:45
Cheers mate, that explains it.

Now just have add the skins to the various models, as I have only got them in the clean version. That will be something for the weekend.

pernik
December 26th, 2008, 01:50
simply take the maingear.bmp from the repaint rename it to maingear_right_t.bmp ( or dds if you have converted the bmp) take a copy and rename the copy to maingear_left_t.***

noddy
December 26th, 2008, 01:55
Thanks again.

Smudge
December 26th, 2008, 12:43
Thanks Pernik, I'd forgotten to include that in the notes.. :banghead:

pernik
December 26th, 2008, 14:01
No worries.

I've set up a imagetool bat file to do the conversions.

You'll need imagetools.exe which came with the SDK or can be found online

( it's also in the
SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.vc folder ;) )

Copy the below into a txt file save and change the extention to .BAT
then
1) Download FS9 repaint and extract
2) Place the .bat and imagetool.exe in the extracted folder
3) double click the bat file and wait for it to finish.
All being well you will have a folder containing the required .dds files
Take the folder remove the bat file and imagetool.exe and install into FSX as usual.

imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r boattail_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r centergear_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r fuselage_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r leftengine_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r leftglove_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r lefttail_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r nose_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r pylons.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r rightengine_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r righttail_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r rightwing_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r maingear_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r missiles.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r seats_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r leftwing_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r rightglove_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r pilots_T.bmp

del *.bmp

copy maingear_T.dds maingear_left_T.dds
copy maingear_T.dds maingear_right_T.dds
copy pilots_T.dds a_pilot_T.dds
copy pilots_T.dds a_rio_T.dds
del pilots_T.dds
del maingear_T.dds

Odie
December 26th, 2008, 14:19
Most excellent news ! Now, I can load out FSX & Accelleration !:costumes:

Warming up the harddrive now.....

Smudge
December 26th, 2008, 14:46
Handy to know Pernik.. mind if I copy and paste it in the IRIS forums?

pernik
December 26th, 2008, 14:50
Handy to know Pernik.. mind if I copy and paste it in the IRIS forums?

Not at all, hope people find it useful -saved me a stack of time.

noddy
December 26th, 2008, 15:00

Edited a bit.

JohnC
December 26th, 2008, 17:15
So now that there are some folks with decent flight hours in this bad boy, how does it handle?

mjrhealth
December 26th, 2008, 21:12
FLies like a beauty, managed one trap so far. Landing speed is around 145 150 kts if im correct. Still have of get a hang of this AOA thing but i think i have it figured. But that feeling of speed when flying through the clouds at mc 1.5 id well, thats one thing FSX does well. Only issue is i get a few microstutters at that speed.

gajit
December 26th, 2008, 22:27
Great screens there guys :applause:

IanP
December 27th, 2008, 03:25
I did two traps and a single shot last night - no missed approaches or bolters.

Unfortunately, after the second trap, I couldn't get the launch bar to work for love nor money, it just sat there and bobbed up and down wherever I tried to position the nosewheel around the cat box so I had to shut down and end the flight on the carrier. I also noticed that the nosewheel vanishes through the deck on launches, so the launch bar position isn't quite right. I'll have a play with that later when I get chance.

Ian P.

Smudge
December 27th, 2008, 04:57
Ian,

The launchbar issue is a pain, but one we can't do much about...

To get technical for a minute, the F-14 has TWO sets of nosegear, one is visible when the launchbar is raised and compresses based on forward momentum (ie, works as normal)

The other set is visible only when the launchbar is toggle on, that item compresses based on the launchbar animation, and works in conjunction with an animated pivot point on the airframe, so when you activate the launchbar, the standard nosegear disappears, the new one appears and compresses whilst the aircraft rotates and appears to 'kneel' as Tomcats do.

The downside to this, is that the 'kneeling nosegear' has no standard compression, so as such, when significant forward momentum is applied (ie lots of thrust from a cat launch) the nosegear will appear to sink into the deck.

It's something we thought long and hard about, and we figured that the fun of 'kneeling the cat' was needed more than the minor issue of a sinking nosewheel. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

modelr
December 27th, 2008, 09:33
David, check your PM, please.

IanP
December 27th, 2008, 09:48
It may also be resolvable by twiddling with the settings, though, David - I had a similar problem setting up a non-Accel carrier aircraft to work with launch assist and got around it by putting in something less than obvious in the launch_assist section of aircraft.cfg - I'll have a play.

That doesn't explain, however, why the launch bar worked once, then refused to connect after that. Any ideas?

Ian P.

Smudge
December 27th, 2008, 10:14
No idea I'm afraid Ian. I had something similar at one point during testing...bascially every time I tried Shift+I to use takeoff assist, the damn plane bounced everywhere.

However when I restarted my FS< all was fine...there one minute gone the next and never returned.

modelr
December 27th, 2008, 11:05
David

HEEEELLLLPPPPP!!! I got my download key, but I can't download!! The counter shows I've downloaded SIX times, but I don't have a single one!! It goes to 50% and stalls. I did recieve ONE exe, but it was EMPTY, 0 bytes! Clicking on it said it was invalid non WIN32 file. HELP!! :redf::redf::redf::isadizzy:

Smudge
December 27th, 2008, 12:12
OOO, sounds like a dropped download. I've e-mailed you a direct download link just in case... :)

noddy
December 27th, 2008, 13:47

tigisfat
December 27th, 2008, 20:16
This is a likely candidate for my next order. Can anyone confirm that it has good and accurate sounds? Does it work on the acceleration carriers?

Smudge
December 28th, 2008, 02:06
Yay, Yay, and thrice yay...

It's been developed with carrier ops in mind.. :) There's a vid of me trapping at night on the product page too, just to prove it can be done.

IanP
December 28th, 2008, 03:22
It's a nice one to trap, as well. I managed it twice having not practiced for a long time, with no bolters and no missed approaches. I'm impressed so far. Now just need to convert the Black Aces livery to work on it when I get around to doing so. :)

Ian P.

Marwal
December 28th, 2008, 10:51
How can the virtual Cockpit be reactivated for FSX?

modelr
December 28th, 2008, 12:02
OOO, sounds like a dropped download. I've e-mailed you a direct download link just in case... :)

Thanks, David. Got it downloaded and flying. :ernae::ernae:

(That's why I'm late replying.) This bird is FUN! But you GOTTA read the manual! :isadizzy: Now if I could just get my TrackIR4 to work in FSX as well as it does in FS9. :banghead::banghead:

modelr
December 28th, 2008, 12:08
I was flying the VX-4 Clean bird, and the eyepoint was outside and looking backwards in the VC!! :isadizzy:

I checked the cfg, and it had been changed! Luckily, the correct eyepoint had just been remarked out (//) :kilroy:
so I just put it back, and everything great. :jump:

After a couple tries, I found this bird is very responsive in the landing pattern, and can be greased in after just a few attempts. Glide path indications on the hud are great.:applause:

Gotta go fly some more. :ernae:

Smudge
December 28th, 2008, 14:36
OOoo,

Thanks Don, don't know how I missed that one. Will build a hotfix for it.

piperarcherpilot
December 28th, 2008, 17:37
Due to Holiday travel, I dont have my joystick or throttle quadrant, but I've been playing with my recent purchase anyway :)

One question; Why can I not reduce power once I'm in afterburner? For instance, if I push "F3," the throttles slowly increase power to just before afterburner, and they 'jump' into AB. Pushing "F2" has no effect. I have to bring the engines to idle "F1" and then increase power again...

Liking it so far...even though I cant 'feel' the plane with my flight stick until i get back home. Just confused about this throttle issue.

Ideas? I have the newest version of FSUIPC... 4.20 I think?

Smudge
December 28th, 2008, 19:12
SP2 standalone and SP2/Acceleration codes the afterburner differently, and as such we've completely removed the afterburner controller in V1.1 which is currently on our store and has been given to our vendors.

Long and the short of it is, we don't know why the afterburner effect being linked to the throttle causes problems, so we can't really address it. As it is, the afterburner has been removed from the systems file, and requires manual use of Shift+F4 to use the burner dynamic.

This will also eliminate the nasty thing of not being able to throttle back out of afterburner.

piperarcherpilot
December 28th, 2008, 20:21
Thanks for the reply, David. BTW, I have Acceleration/SP2. Thats sounds strange that it is coded differently...I wonder why other planes work okay like the default F18 and Aerosoft's F16. One of those things, I guess...

If I log in to the IRIS store and re-download the F14, will I get v1.1 or do I need a patch?

Smudge
December 28th, 2008, 21:10
I don't know about the Aerosoft F-18, however the Acceleration Hornet uses three new entries in the aircraft.cfg file to provide stepped afterburner thrust.

Those items are specific to Acceleration, and are NOT part of the SP2 standalone product. As such, we incorporated a gauge which would turn on the standard FS Afterburner if the throttle was greater than 90%.

Unfortunately due to the way the FS afterburner works, this caused more problems than solutions in SP1/SP2, so we decided to just remove it completely for the time being. At least as far as being controlled by the throttle is concerned.

Anyway, to get 1.1, it does require a full download of the original aircraft, so log back into the store and redownload the aircraft package. I'll gladly renew the download links if anyone has run out.

However, if you all find that you're happy with it as is (in acceleration) then don't worry about updating. :)

modelr
December 29th, 2008, 04:46
David

Don't know if my copy you provided the 27th is the updated model or not, but my download link on my account page is still no good. Tried it again, just now, (7:41 am Central mountain time, USA, 1:41pm GMT) and it took almost two minutes to get an exe download, which was empty, 0 bytes.:banghead:

modelr
December 29th, 2008, 04:57
Question to the panel gurus. I was getting ready to install the A2A lites, using the full set cfg that I have for the FS9 version, and I noticed that the panel gauge is at position
" [Vcockpit01]
gauge56=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light "

which is also used by the
"gauge03=F-14_Systems!SYSTEM_Onboard, 1,1,1,1"
(renumbering the gauge properly NOT the question, I know that part.)

My question, should I move the shockwave gauge, or is it ok there, since this is an "invisible" location, I believe.

Smudge
December 29th, 2008, 05:09
Don,

Use the details I gave you the other day to redownload 1.1 from there. :)

Don't worry about the shockwave lights though, 1.1 contains the light entry for a landing light if your shockwave lights are installed.. :)

modelr
December 29th, 2008, 05:28
:ernae:

Edit: Thanks David, downloading now. Luckily I haven't discarded that email link, yet.

BTW, the cfg I have covers ALL the lites on the FS-9 F-14. I don't know if it will work on the FSX bird yet. I thought since the paints do, the lights should be in the same locations. Am I wrong?? I can paste the cfg if someone wants it.

piperarcherpilot
December 29th, 2008, 10:57
David, strange thing...I downloaded and installed v1.1 and all seems to be fixed but in a different way than you described. I have CTRL + SHFT + F4 linked to the AB toggle, but after the update it does not work. The engine seems to go into AB automatically and it comes back out of AB with just throttle movements. I thought maybe it was just the visual effect, but Fuel Flow reflects that it is indeed going into Afterburner. Strange...all seems to be fixed and it works flawlessly without the need of a key command for afterburner. Dont know how it works or why, but it does. Thank you.

Smudge
December 29th, 2008, 13:54
I've got to reissue a small hotfix anyway, so I'll look into that and apply it if necesssary.

piperarcherpilot
December 29th, 2008, 16:53
Oh well, my point was that it works well how it is, it just works differently than it says it should. I would rather have the AB tied to throttle (like it works in v1.1 for me at least) than have it tied to a key command (like it says it should in v1.1 users guide). I guess my point is after 1.1, the afterburner seems to work as it should have in v1.0.

IF you're going to release a hotfix; Two other tiny things i've noticed 1) On the control stick at the top, there seems to be a double faint copy of the trigger text under the white letters, and 2) I was wondering why the area on the panel above the buttons above the turn slip indicator seems to be 'airbrushed out'. Anyway, these are little gripes. Great product, great price, lots of fun! :applause:

tigisfat
January 1st, 2009, 20:33
I'm highly interested in this product, but I don't know enough about it to make such an expensive leap. I don't want to sound rude, but here are my concerns put bluntly. If anyone from IRIS feels like responding to help me out, I'd be very grateful.

1. The flight model. I've never flown an IRIS product with a decent flight model. It says it's been reworked, but that doesn't mean anything to me because I've never flown the original. I can't invest in another product that flies like the texan II.

2. The VC. Like everyone else these days, I run hi-res. The advertisements are obviously not hi-res. I'm not impressed with those shots, and I'd like to think it would look a ton better on my monitor with FSX running. Can anyone tell me if it gets better?

3. Functionality. How does it compare to the aerosoft F-16 or the stock hornet? There isn't much in the advertising to reveal how in-depth it actually is. Can anyone spare some veyr specific details?

4. The afterburners. Do I actually have to engage them with a keypress or not?

As a side note, the external shots look awesome!!

mjrhealth
January 2nd, 2009, 01:30
VC is fine and i have no issues with it, hud is good and really helps when landing. Flight model, easy to fly, auto wing sweep seems to behave as expected. Just a lovely model. Noew to get a hang of AOA and not side slipping on that last bit. Be nice to have pedals.

GR27
January 2nd, 2009, 10:24
No worries.

I've set up a imagetool bat file to do the conversions.

You'll need imagetools.exe which came with the SDK or can be found online

( it's also in the
SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.vc folder ;) )

Copy the below into a txt file save and change the extention to .BAT
then
1) Download FS9 repaint and extract
2) Place the .bat and imagetool.exe in the extracted folder
3) double click the bat file and wait for it to finish.
All being well you will have a folder containing the required .dds files
Take the folder remove the bat file and imagetool.exe and install into FSX as usual.

imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r boattail_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r centergear_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r fuselage_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r leftengine_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r leftglove_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r lefttail_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r nose_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r pylons.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r rightengine_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r righttail_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r rightwing_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r maingear_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r missiles.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r seats_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r leftwing_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r rightglove_T.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r pilots_T.bmp

del *.bmp

copy maingear_T.dds maingear_left_T.dds
copy maingear_T.dds maingear_right_T.dds
copy pilots_T.dds a_pilot_T.dds
copy pilots_T.dds a_rio_T.dds
del pilots_T.dds
del maingear_T.dds

Thank you for this.
Where do i put the file after i change it to .dds, in what model, and what do i add to the aircraft.cfg because it is not the same as FS9 aircraft.cfg?
Thank you.

pernik
January 2nd, 2009, 23:56
It's a little complicated, easier to do than describe.
Lets say we've found a nice VF-2 repaint, you've converted all the files and are left with a single folder called texture.vf-2. You want to apply this to the F-14A Air Interdiction model.

1) Place the new texture folder in the IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean folder

(\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean)

2) Open an existing clean texture folder,copy the texture.cfg file and paste into your new texture folder.

3) Navigate to the IRIS F14A Tomcat AInt folder

4) create a new empty folder called texture.vf-2

5) In the new folder create a new txt file and paste the below into it, save and rename as texture.cfg

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.bump
fallback.2=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.spec
fallback.3=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.vc
fallback.4=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.parts
fallback.5=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.vf-2

The key line here is fallback.5 - this must point to the folder you set up previously in the Clean folder

6) Still in the AInt folder Open the Aircraft.cfg and create a new fltsim entry. I usually copy the previous one, increment the number and amend

[fltsim.xx] ------ increment this
title=IRIS F-14_V2 01 ------- make this unique
sim=F-14 FDE
model=3b
panel=
sound=
texture=vf-2 <---- new texture folder
checklists=
description=\n \n
ui_manufacturer="Grumman"
ui_type="F-14A Tomcat - "Vf-2" <---- Description
ui_variation="Air Interdiction"
ui_typerole="Single Engine Fighter"
ui_createdby="IRIS Simulations"
atc_airline=Navy
atc_flight_number=200

save and that's it.
The beauty of it is that once you have the texture installed in the Clean folder you can apply it to any model

If you wanted to apply it to the ASupp_2 model simply follow steps 3 onwards.

Hope this makes some sense, if not feel free to PM me.

GR27
January 3rd, 2009, 09:39
Thank you pernik, it works fine.

Boomer
January 3rd, 2009, 20:55
Great job David et al!

I loved this in FS9 & am delighted to have it in my FSX stable.

Banana Bobs repaints still working are just icing on the cake :)

http://www.longknife.org/screenshots/Tomcat1.jpg

Boomer
January 3rd, 2009, 21:27
One more....

The end of a very pleasant flight.

http://www.longknife.org/screenshots/Tomcat2.jpg

pernik
January 4th, 2009, 02:01
yep, apart from the C-130, I haven't flown anything since I purchased it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/pernik/Blacklions.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/pernik/vf41-1.jpg

MenendezDiego
January 4th, 2009, 20:36

Edited a bit.

um....what can I say, I'm in love with what you've done.

Is there a way I can get the repaint you have done? Especially the one on the right

noddy
January 5th, 2009, 00:15
um....what can I say, I'm in love with what you've done.

Is there a way I can get the repaint you have done? Especially the one on the right

These paints can found over at screenshotworld.com

http://www.screenshotworld.com/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showcat=6

However you will have to register.

MenendezDiego
January 6th, 2009, 00:43
It's a little complicated, easier to do than describe.
Lets say we've found a nice VF-2 repaint, you've converted all the files and are left with a single folder called texture.vf-2. You want to apply this to the F-14A Air Interdiction model.

1) Place the new texture folder in the IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean folder

(\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean)

2) Open an existing clean texture folder,copy the texture.cfg file and paste into your new texture folder.

3) Navigate to the IRIS F14A Tomcat AInt folder

4) create a new empty folder called texture.vf-2

5) In the new folder create a new txt file and paste the below into it, save and rename as texture.cfg

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.bump
fallback.2=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.spec
fallback.3=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.vc
fallback.4=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.parts
fallback.5=..\..\IRIS F-14A Tomcat Clean\texture.vf-2

The key line here is fallback.5 - this must point to the folder you set up previously in the Clean folder

6) Still in the AInt folder Open the Aircraft.cfg and create a new fltsim entry. I usually copy the previous one, increment the number and amend

[fltsim.xx] ------ increment this
title=IRIS F-14_V2 01 ------- make this unique
sim=F-14 FDE
model=3b
panel=
sound=
texture=vf-2 <---- new texture folder
checklists=
description=\n \n
ui_manufacturer="Grumman"
ui_type="F-14A Tomcat - "Vf-2" <---- Description
ui_variation="Air Interdiction"
ui_typerole="Single Engine Fighter"
ui_createdby="IRIS Simulations"
atc_airline=Navy
atc_flight_number=200

save and that's it.
The beauty of it is that once you have the texture installed in the Clean folder you can apply it to any model

If you wanted to apply it to the ASupp_2 model simply follow steps 3 onwards.

Hope this makes some sense, if not feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the help, I believe I am doing everything correct, the texture files are dds, but when I open the new tomcat in fsx, I get an all black aircraft...am I making just a small error somewhere?

Regards, Diego

pernik
January 6th, 2009, 00:59
Hmmm, I've never seen an all black aircraft.
What repaint are you trying to apply ? and on what Model/variant.
I'm at work at the moment but will give it a go when I get back home tonight.

MenendezDiego
January 6th, 2009, 09:16
Hmmm, I've never seen an all black aircraft.
What repaint are you trying to apply ? and on what Model/variant.
I'm at work at the moment but will give it a go when I get back home tonight.

Ya it's strange. I'm trying the Vf-41 Black aces, first putting it into the A clean folder, then doing the thing you talked about in the Air Interception folder

tigisfat
January 9th, 2009, 01:35
I'm highly interested in this product, but I don't know enough about it to make such an expensive leap. I don't want to sound rude, but here are my concerns put bluntly. If anyone from IRIS feels like responding to help me out, I'd be very grateful.

1. The flight model. I've never flown an IRIS product with a decent flight model. It says it's been reworked, but that doesn't mean anything to me because I've never flown the original. I can't invest in another product that flies like the texan II.

2. The VC. Like everyone else these days, I run hi-res. The advertisements are obviously not hi-res. I'm not impressed with those shots, and I'd like to think it would look a ton better on my monitor with FSX running. Can anyone tell me if it gets better?

3. Functionality. How does it compare to the aerosoft F-16 or the stock hornet? There isn't much in the advertising to reveal how in-depth it actually is. Can anyone spare some veyr specific details?

4. The afterburners. Do I actually have to engage them with a keypress or not?

As a side note, the external shots look awesome!!

Thanks for the lack of a reply, IRIS. I guess you can only answer posts if they're compliments or seriously threaten your sales. Where's the bull when you need it?:hand:

Thank you (no sarcasm) to the user who tried to help me.:wave:

Smudge
January 9th, 2009, 02:00
Tigisfat.

Firstly, we have our very own forum for support. Whilst I love SOH, it is not my first port of call in the morning. (No offense to the guys here at SOH.)

If you want a customer opinion of the aircraft, I am sure one of the guys here or on the IRIS forums will be glad to help. If you want MY opinion, drop me an e-mail, PM or try the IRIS forums.

Secondly, if you had visited and registered to the IRIS forums, you would have read the post from me indicating I was taking time out with the family over Christmas and the new year and wouldn't be back till the 8th... Your post here was written on the 2nd and no, I wasn't around, sorrry for everyone who thinks I should be tied to my desk 24/7. :typing: <---me, all the time, every day. :faint::woot:

Now to answer your questions;

1. The F-14 flight model is extremely stable and fun to fly. It's very nice to fly around the carrier and we've received a number of compliments in relation to it.

2. The VC textures are 32bit 1024x1024 maps and are easily readable in the cockpit. I use 1900x1200 monitor res and have no problems with the VC. If you want larger shots of the VC, e-mail me and I'll upload some.

3. The manual located here (http://www.irissimulations.com/docs/f14_pro_manual.pdf) has a section at the back explaining the systems we have implimented in the Tomcat. This is NOT the Aerosoft F-16, so please don't expect that level of detail, but then again I don't have something like 10 grand or so to invest in a product.

4. Yes, you have to press Shift+F4 to engage the afterburner dynamic (actual speed increase) however the visible afterburner effect is controlled by the throttle, same as always.

On a sidenote, we are working on a hotfix to have the afterburner dynamic operational via the throttle position for those with Acceleration installed due to the new ways Acceleration handles afterburners.

Lastly, for those who keep spreading news that the autosweep function no longer works, this is inaccurate. The Autosweep function works fine, you press Shift+E, then 3 to toggle between manual wingsweep control and automatic wingsweep control. The switch in the cockpit even moves to show you the current setting.

Hope that answers your questions Tigisfat.

tigisfat
January 9th, 2009, 03:32
thank you for your reply, that's about what I was looking for.:ernae:

stovall
January 9th, 2009, 06:24
David, your detailed answer to tigisfat's post above shows your usual great support for all your products. I for one just want to day IRIS is one of the greatest creators for our hobby and your efforts and tireless devotion is much appreciated. Looking forward to another great year from IRIS.

Regards, Tom

Ark
January 10th, 2009, 02:50
I take it this is a true FSX model with DX10 capabilities?

Looks awesome. Great job, David and Team. :ernae:

Smudge
January 10th, 2009, 05:34
Thanks Ark, it was a true labour of love.

VFR Reviews
January 10th, 2009, 07:19
I like it to, David :amen:

Barvan40
January 10th, 2009, 08:23
Thanks Ark, it was a true labour of love.

It shows, beautiful model. Love the fact that you have made the experience better by adding some system depth. This is not a toy you just get in and light up. It requires a little more than that. :applause::ernae::applause:

Barry

Boomer
January 10th, 2009, 08:51
i noticed the lack of an AB "kick" so what I did was add the following line to the [TurbineEngineData] of the aircraft.cfg

afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.70

Doing this raised the top speed from M1.1 @ 40kft to M1.7. While not the M2.24 claimed top speed of a Tomcat IMO its reasonable for a fully loaded bird :)

EgoR64
January 10th, 2009, 09:01
One more....

The end of a very pleasant flight.

:wavey:

Hi Boomer,

That is Awsome, My Favorite part of a Touch on the Carrier is the moment right before touch down, Full Throttle Ready !! LOL !! :friday:

Great Shots, Might have to get me some dat !!

Cheers !!

Smudge
January 11th, 2009, 04:07
Boomer,

We're planning a small hotfix for Acceleration users to take advantage of the new afterburner methods that Acceleration brought to FSX which will in turn allow you to reach the speeds close to top mach.

Don't know when it'll be ready as I'm 100% on the Vulcan at the moment. :)

Thanks for all your kind words though.

Boomer
January 11th, 2009, 06:43
Boomer,
Don't know when it'll be ready as I'm 100% on the Vulcan at the moment. :)

David,
Dont give it another thought, stay on that Vulcan! I am as pleased as punch with my Tomcat & a great Vulcan would be most welcome! :applause::applause::applause:

Barvan40
January 19th, 2009, 12:37
Pablo Diaz has updated his Vf-1 "Dirty" repaint for the IRIS F-14, fantastic job. :jump::ernae::jump:

Available at AVSIM and ScreenShotWorld.

Barry

MenendezDiego
January 19th, 2009, 15:07
I love this!

So glad Diaz did the conversions for us, I couldn't figure it out

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/f-14worn.jpg
Love it!

Daube
January 28th, 2009, 03:56
Somebody has mentionned repaints made by BananaBob for this bird.
I tried looking for them on SOH but couldn't find any. Also, I tried looking for repaints on avsim with the name of BananaBob with no success. Can anybody tell me where those repaints can be found ?

noddy
January 28th, 2009, 04:11
Somebody has mentionned repaints made by BananaBob for this bird.
I tried looking for them on SOH but couldn't find any. Also, I tried looking for repaints on avsim with the name of BananaBob with no success. Can anybody tell me where those repaints can be found ?

All can be found over at Screenshotworld.com in the download section.

Daube
January 28th, 2009, 04:50
Ah I see them now.
Thanks a lot for the info, Noddy !! :woot::ernae:

Quicksand jr
January 28th, 2009, 14:42
Here's a selection...lots more on the IRIS forum.. ;)

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_11.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_12.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_13.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_14.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_15.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_16.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_17.jpg

http://www.irissimulations.com/f14/f14_ext_18.jpg

:jawdrop:

delta_lima
September 23rd, 2011, 16:19
Sorry - reinstalled this after a year or so of lying dormant.

The texture config tool works great - thanks! Repaints look awesome!

Question: I toggled the "kneel" gear function - now the launch bar is permanently down (nose gear won't retract). Tried reloading aircraft, even relaunching FS - now that model is permanently in the kneel/launch bar down position. Launches and recovers fine - just the nose gear won't retract.

Ideas?

My Adobe reader is buggered - so I can't access the pilot notes. Sorry if this is covered there ....

dl