PDA

View Full Version : Sky dive from space

rayrey10
March 16th, 2012, 17:14
This guy jumped from 13 miles up. Wants to break the current record of 19.5 miles.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0316/Skydiver-falls-from-stratosphere-in-preparation-for-space-jump

Dain Arns
March 16th, 2012, 17:25
I don't know why but it rubs me wrong the way the press keeps calling him a 'daredevil'.

He and Red Bull have been working on this project for close to three years now, if I remember right.

Think it has gone way past the 'daredevil' stage at this point, with all of the research and development they have done, and become a serious endeavor.

Heck, I think they have done more work than the original mission.

Oh well, just my thoughts.

God speed to him.
I know that he will succeed in a few months.

Rami
March 16th, 2012, 17:58
Reyrey,

Here's the odd thing...he said that one of his stated goals was to break the sound barrier in free fall. On his last dive, he was reported to have hit a speed of 368.5 MPH before having to deploy his chute. I'm admittedly not a science dude, but I do remember from physics the principle of "terminal velocity."

So, my question is...at what point will the thickening atmosphere provide resistance to keep him from reaching the speed of sound, and will he run into terminal velocity well before he reaches the stratosphere?

Also, Captain Joseph Kittinger in August of 1960 jumped from 102,800 feet, hitting 614 MPH at maximum velocity, falling for more than four minutes and thirty seconds before deploying his chute at 14,000 feet. That's sort of my benchmark for this jump attempt.

glh
March 16th, 2012, 18:14
Here you go !!!!!! It's a Loooooooooooong fall.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml

OBIO
March 16th, 2012, 19:29
From what I have heard, this guy got his hands on some of Clark W. Griswald's non-caloric food grade silicone based whateveritwas that he sprayed onto the bottom of his snow disc in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.....surely he will be able to slice through the atmosphere with ease and break the sound barrier with that stuff sprayed all over his jump suit.

OBIO

demorier
March 17th, 2012, 01:33
If he goes a bit higher he might burn up...with a flaming ass.

rayrey10
March 17th, 2012, 06:09
Rami- I'm with you on that one. He needs to double his speed.

Can the human body even survive those stresses?

TeaSea
March 17th, 2012, 15:56
Just think if it were a static line jump....

"One-Thousand, Two-Thousand, Three-Thousand, Four-Thousand.........One-hundred fifty thousand, One-hundred fifty-one thousand, One-hundred-fiftly two thousand....wait, I lost count..."

rayrey10
March 18th, 2012, 04:48
LoL! That's right TeaSea.