PDA

View Full Version : P-51D lost?

skyhawka4m
March 13th, 2012, 21:04
I just read somewhere that this mustang has been lost as a couple months ago in a crash?? how sad......one of my fav's....

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/34/629934.jpg

Bomber_12th
March 14th, 2012, 06:53
Not lost, just dinged-up from a hard-landing. The left main gear partially collapsed during a ground loop, causing damage to the left wing and a subsequent prop strike. This happened back in late-October of last year, and the aircraft has since been undergoing repairs to get back to flying status again. It was only recently sold to new owners back in late spring of 2011, based in Hollister, CA. All that I have read, is that a "crew pilot" was flying it at the time - without any mechanical or weather related reasons for the accident, I'd hope that they find better skill in someone else to fly it in the future, or invest in getting the guy more experience at a place like Stallion '51. Up until that point, I don't recall the aircraft ever having been involved in any other incident, having been opperated for decades (since the early 60's) by Lefty Garder and then Lewis Shaw since around 1993/4.

The 'only' P-51's lost last year, were the German-based (former Rob Davies) CAC P-51D painted as "Big Beautiful Doll", which was involved in that collision brought on by the Skyraider from the same formation element, at last years Duxford Flying Legends air show, and of course Jimmy Leeward's "Galloping Ghost" at last years Reno Air Races. (However, some of the remains and data plate of the German-based airframe that crashed at Duxford last summer, will be flying again in the future)