PDA

View Full Version : Hard to be a new developper...

moune
March 13th, 2012, 11:35
A new Helico, first créating, stopped because many bad critiques !!
It's not very nice for he i believe...
http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=21062
Have good flight, serge.

roger-wilco-66
March 13th, 2012, 12:03
What a shame...

Roger
March 13th, 2012, 13:18
Yeah, shame, seems our FsX freeware world is infected with some spectacularly low grade virus.

Prowler1111
March 13th, 2012, 14:45
It's not very nice for he i believe...
http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=21062
Have good flight, serge.

If you know him, tell him to contact me please, will be kept freeware as he wish, but i´ll help him someway
freeware must be encouraged these days.Since i dont have any intention to hijack this thread, i already offered this somewhere else,it´s funny, just one taker, lol
Best regards

Prowler

SkippyBing
March 13th, 2012, 15:02

It's from UKMil so not his first creation and his site is still up so I'm guessing he wasn't that affected by the remarks.
Still, there's a reason I don't model subjects where you can see a lot of the aircrew, people are the hardest thing to model!

Sieggie
March 13th, 2012, 15:13
Problem is, no matter how accurate the model or perfect the flight dynamics, their will always be someone who thinks they have to criticize the product. Not that they can even create a parking spot on an airport to share with the community.

Best to just ignore the chaff and continue to do what you enjoy.

Dave

TuFun
March 13th, 2012, 15:27
Well, I thought I would give it a whirl...

61144 61145 61148

Ok... looks good to me and I couldn't find any monkeys!

anthony31
March 13th, 2012, 15:30
It's a real shame that someone can put in 100's of hours of work (and for free as well) making an aircraft or scenery and have it all dismissed within 5 minutes by some smart arse. Then they wonder why there isn't any freeware anymore!

T6flyer
March 14th, 2012, 02:33
I had an email as to one of the Austers that we released, from a 'gentleman' who said that it didn't look right or fly right either. I was rather dismayed to receive this and had then about 80 hours experience on type. So sent a nice reply back saying that we apologise for any inconvenience (thinking he was high houred on type) and from further correspondence received, it transpired that he had never seen one before, let alone flown in one!!!

So many experts out there. I can see why other developers have stopped building. If you don't like something for one reason or another, then that's fine and if you like it, post something on here or send an email to the builder. We have always strived to build aeroplanes as close as we can to the real thing. Our next project, they only built three airframes, so don't think will get any adverse comments there as to its handling!!

Best wishes,

Martin

Daube
March 14th, 2012, 03:03
When a freeware modeller makes an aircraft, he should know that his aircraft will be distributed to HUMANS, not restricted to the Private Gentlemen University of London.
You can't expect everybody in the world to be smart, educated or well-mannered. There will always be some stupid comments. Always. Acting like it was "unexpected/surprising" is a little bit "naive", don't you think ? Of course, I understand that receiving such criticism about a project in which you spent probably several hundreds of hours is like receiving a knife directly in the heart, and it's perfectly normal to be upset or offended about this. But announcing a total retirement and the cancellation of the website etc... isn't this a bit exagerated ? And most of all, isn't this ignoring all the people that actually appreciated the product ?

Bjoern
March 14th, 2012, 09:08
It's a real shame that someone can put in 100's of hours of work (and for free as well) making an aircraft or scenery and have it all dismissed within 5 minutes by some smart arse. Then they wonder why there isn't any freeware anymore!

The cancer that is killing FSX...

Barnes
March 14th, 2012, 09:16
Get real everyone - no matter what you do professionally or as an ameture you can never please everyone anywhere - even more so on a forum.

stovall
March 14th, 2012, 10:44
I recently produced some scenery in partnership with someone who has become a good friend. Having painted for years and produced some other items for FSX, it was very apparent to me that there was a good chance that someone would not like it. Fortunately there were nothing but good comments for this particular item.

From my side of the production line, of course I did this for our FSX community. I love to fly the scenery myself. The most positive things that have come out of my efforts include learning many new things about scenery production, becoming good friends with someone in a different country, having many hours of enjoyment producing the project and finally seeing it completed with better results than anticipated from the beginning. This is why I think freeware development is alive and well.

I must admit that my paints stay mostly in my own hanger because there are some real professionals out there that I feel do a better job than I do. Believe me if creations from these people were not available I would try to fill the void with my own.

Just my two cents worth. :wavey:

Shylock
March 14th, 2012, 12:42
Old and new developers need to just notice that for every 50 people that love the work you do, there will be 5-10 that pick at little things just so they can look smarter then everybody. If your sensitive and have your feelings hurt very easily then maybe developing isn't for you. If the people nit picking at things are so knowledgeable that they seem far superior then they should have no problems downloading Gmax and give the SDK a read through and they can make it how they want it, I mean hey, if they can memorize how many Rivets are on a DC-9 and know how light should reflect off the plane then 3D modeling will be a breeze......

Sorry for the rant but I'm just tired of seeing folks that enjoy 3D modeling be driven away by some cyber know it all who is sitting behind his keyboard, cracking his knuckles and then taking a long slug off their coffee wondering who they can piss off that day.

Developers good and bad, don't turn your back on a huge community that loves your work because of a few idiots.

Astoroth
March 14th, 2012, 12:44
I tried my hand at modelling a few years back. Did a Diamond Katana 100. Was fortunate enough to have assistance from Barry Blaisdell, the founder of PAD. He even let me use the FDE's from their Katana's in mine.
I released it on Flightsim.com, and got several emails trashing my attempt. One was particularly vile, and ripped apart everything I had done, including Barry's FDE.

Second attempt was a Bell 47 helicopter, MASH paint, with litters on the side and patient on the litter. Patient displayed only when the nav lights were on, so you could fly out empty and return with patient. That one was shredded as well by the community.

Very disheartening as a newbie trying to learn design, and not much encouragement to continue. I semi-retired my tools, and now if I do something it only gets released to a select few in the flying club I belong to.

Sieggie
March 14th, 2012, 16:05
Second attempt was a Bell 47 helicopter, MASH paint, with litters on the side and patient on the litter. Patient displayed only when the nav lights were on, so you could fly out empty and return with patient. That one was shredded as well by the community.

Very disheartening as a newbie trying to learn design, and not much encouragement to continue. I semi-retired my tools, and now if I do something it only gets released to a select few in the flying club I belong to.

If you're M.Allen then your 47 is currently my go to helo as it is very well done and easy to fly around and view airport improvements. I'll say thanks and encourage you to continue.

Dave

SeanTK
March 14th, 2012, 16:24
Two positions on this:

1) I know there are some out there that are quick to trash products. They'll send angry/insulting letters jumping on people's work. It's unfortunate, and I think everyone here agrees with that assessment.

2) I've also seen cases of end-users giving constructive criticism such as "hey, this gauge isn't working right" or "You forgot x thing on the aircraft (x being a rather significant feature)". Despite attempts at civility, this is still met by some developers with "wahhh...quit persecuting me and my work. I attempted making it, isn't that enough?"

Some end user comments are certainly inappropriate, but I've also seen developers quick to play the "I don't make mistakes. Why aren't you happy with what you have" card.

If we can't politely and constructively push for realism, accuracy, and increasing standards, why bother?

My attitude is, if you are going to go through the effort of making something...make it right, make it good, and don't "cut corners" and use the excuse of "well, I put time into it, isn't that enough?"

I don't think anyone here or elsewhere is hung up on literally the exact number of rivets or how light reflects off of a surface at this and that angle, or on gravely unrealistic expectations.
Most criticism I've seen aired publicly relating to various freeware and payware products is valid, and is able to be accomplished.

Some of the logic that I've seen lately dictates that I could go out, spend 30 minutes making a literal tube with no distinguishing features in Gmax, call it a Boeing or Airbus plane, and....since I put effort into making that tube...others do not have the right to heavily criticize my work. After all, I put effort into it, and made it to "my" standards, isn't that enough?

Standards are being raised as the sim evolves and more and more percieved boundaries are pushed back. We cannot make effective new aircraft "simulations" if we are happy with the quality standards of previous sims. If one can't and/or won't adapt their workload to higher standards, and/or is emotionally fragile, they're in the wrong industry.

Overshoe
March 14th, 2012, 18:30
But announcing a total retirement and the cancellation of the website etc... isn't this a bit exagerated ? And most of all, isn't this ignoring all the people that actually appreciated the product ?

I used to make scenery. Back in FS9, Kurt Rook & I made a bunch of airports & seaplane bases and uploaded to the usual sites. In 2 years I had one comment. I was taken to task because of the location of a seaplane base. Correspondence revealed that the expert had last been there 41 years before but he remembered it very clearly and mine was all wrong. I guess the fact that it was 11 miles from my house and I was there 8-10 times a year for the previous 10 years didn't mean anything. As of this minute, I have received exactly 0 e-mails telling me that someone enjoyed that scenery. I guess nobody did.

Since then I have made dozens of airfields and seaplane bases especially in Maine but they are not and never will be available anywhere (except for 2 for FSX that I have never had any comment about.) Not exaggerated at all. It is a perfectly normal and understandable reaction to people who do not deserve freeware.

But don't let me stop anyone from dissing the few remaining freeware developers. It shouldn't take much longer to finish them off.

Kevin Derby
March 14th, 2012, 19:15
My sincere thanks to all of you who create with your hearts & minds.....you have given me the gift of hundreds of hours of joy & happyness in the files you have created.....N758KD:salute::applause:

Bjoern
March 15th, 2012, 07:39
If we can't politely and constructively push for realism, accuracy, and increasing standards, why bother?

I am the developer. I set realism, accuracy and standard of my stuff.
I'll let you have a word in my business or comply to your demands provided you pay me afterwards.
If I do it for free and you don't like it, don't download, buy or look at it.
Or grab GMax and get started yourself.

(This should be an official creed.)

Bone
March 15th, 2012, 08:31
There isn't, and there will never be a solution to this problem, due to far too many people with different ages, attitudes, culture, education, and experience....and moods, let's not forget that one, because it's a biggie.

fsafranek
March 15th, 2012, 08:36
Sorry for the rant but I'm just tired of seeing folks that enjoy 3D modeling be driven away by some cyber know it all who is sitting behind his keyboard, cracking his knuckles and then taking a long slug off their coffee wondering who they can piss off that day.
Working for a developer for over a decade now I totally get this thread but must say that no matter how hard you try to ignore the ARCs and fanboys out there your skin is never thick enough. After spending hours upon hours doing your part of a project just to see it slammed because of some perceived shortcoming you have no control over is always tough. Just have to remember that the forum visitors are but a fraction of the total FS population.

But the reason I started to post was because I just had to chuckle at the description in the quote above. I have an image of a World of Warcraft gamer from a South Park episode in my head. Thanks for the laugh Shylock. :icon_lol:
:ernae:

SkippyBing
March 15th, 2012, 08:38
If I do it for free and you don't like it, don't download, buy or look at it.

But how will anyone know they don't like it until they've at least looked at it?

The truth is, not everyone is going to like what you've done, not all the free-ware I've done has had five star reviews. Have I given up? No I just took on-board the criticism and tried not to make the same mistakes the next time.

If you expect something you make and put up on the internet for anyone to look at to receive nothing but praise then you've come to the wrong planet. Likewise if you think everyone's going to express that criticism eloquently then you should probably go outside more. I'm not saying it's right but you'll put yourself into an early grave getting worked up about it.

stovall
March 15th, 2012, 08:40
Shylock made my day as well. Now where is my coffee.:guinness:

Barnes
March 15th, 2012, 09:11
But how will anyone know they don't like it until they've at least looked at it?

The truth is, not everyone is going to like what you've done, not all the free-ware I've done has had five star reviews. Have I given up? No I just took on-board the criticism and tried not to make the same mistakes the next time.

If you expect something you make and put up on the internet for anyone to look at to receive nothing but praise then you've come to the wrong planet. Likewise if you think everyone's going to express that criticism eloquently then you should probably go outside more. I'm not saying it's right but you'll put yourself into an early grave getting worked up about it.

Well said - any form of art or creativity gets criticised and appeals differently to different people and they will let you know their indiviual opinion on something. FSX is no different to any other business or hobby.

Astoroth
March 15th, 2012, 13:23
If you're M.Allen then your 47 is currently my go to helo as it is very well done and easy to fly around and view airport improvements. I'll say thanks and encourage you to continue.

Dave

Nope, not me. Mine was several years ago for FS9, and it's not available anymore, I had it pulled from the file libraries.

When you are trying to get started as a modeller, You expect that your first few releases aren't going to be perfect. You expect SOME criticism. However, the amount of hate mail that I received was way more than I expected, and I guess my skin just isn't thick enough...

I've dabbled a few times since, but never released I have one little toy that I MIGHT release for FS9, as it is one of my favorites, but I haven't decided yet. The bar has been raised so much over the last couple years that I have no interest in trying to achieve the level of perfection that seems to be expected with every single release these days, whether payware OR freeware.

Lionheart
March 15th, 2012, 15:11
Its difficult. You 'cannot' let peoples comments effect you. When you read something that is like a jab in the heart, ignore it. If it keeps playing back in your mind through the day, break it with an alternate thought. Not worth it. Laugh about it, and I mean really laugh.

I have spent alot of money and time so far on my new plane, 50% done, and some goof says to me 'I already have this! What are you doing! Cant you just stop that and make a 'something'???? He had more things to say as well, a paragraph. Cracked me up. All this time, several thousand dollars and he wants me to stop. GET SERIOUS!!!!! lol...

I think that people like that think they are the utmost center of the Universe and they control the flight sim world and they think their forum verbage is gold. Its not. Its just mean, negative 'noise' and not worth listening to.

Now, when someone offers you some humble advice, thats different and its good to be open to advice. But mean, nearly vulgar feedback is just not worth your time.

Its all about fun, flight and life....

Bill

Dain Arns
March 15th, 2012, 17:13
... I think that people like that think they are the utmost center of the Universe and they control the flight sim world and they think their forum verbage is gold. Its not. Its just mean, negative 'noise' and not worth listening to ...Bill

Well said, Bill.
And those folks are so special to me, they go to a special 'List' I keep...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Like the Man said, "Outta sight, Outta mind!". :icon_lol: