PDA

View Full Version : Lotus simulations mig-29

James
March 13th, 2012, 08:29
I seem to vaguely remember hearing that Lotus sim had a MiG-29 in the works, but haven't been able to find anything about it...does anybody know anything about this?

SeanTK
March 13th, 2012, 08:38
I asked about this a few months ago, and was told by someone here that it was dropped (not sure if permanently or temporarily) in favor of a simpler project.

EDIT: Last post by Naki here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?62427-Any-freeware-russian-fighter-(apart-from-MIG-21F)&highlight=lotus

James
March 13th, 2012, 09:58
ah okay. dang that's too bad I was kinda looking forward to that. oh well would definitely like to see something new from the Lotus factory.

Lotus
March 13th, 2012, 13:27
Thanks James. I too would like to see something new come from me, haha.

The MiG-29 was turning out to be a massive headache in just about every respect, and really good reference was very hard to come by. Also at the time I felt that my programming skills were not quite good enough to do proper justice to its systems. That part at least has improved over the past year, so I may still finish that project at some point, but probably not for a long while. For the past six months I have been working very hard on simpler aircraft, but I found out a couple of days ago that another developer has been working on that very same aircraft for quite some time and is much closer to completion than I am. So that one goes on the shelf now too. Just can't seem to get a break here, hehe. At least I learned some new stuff while working on it. At the moment I'm evaluating new airframe options. The main problem I face is that there are very very few aircraft that I really and truly adore, and most of those have been done for FSX already, and done well. I'll let you know what I come up with I guess... whenever I come up with it. :)

Thanks,

-Mike

MenendezDiego
March 13th, 2012, 13:49
Lotus,

I know of a few MiG-29's privately owned in the United States.

Perhaps you can send them a portfolio of what you did with the L-39. Maybe that will sway them into letting you come for a visit...perhaps even a ride!

Regards, Diego

Dexdoggy
March 13th, 2012, 15:48
Good to know you are still out there Lotus!
Your L-39 is still the definitive jet for flightsim! :salute:

JIMJAM
March 13th, 2012, 15:58
"Your L-39 is still the definitive jet for flightsim"

Agreed. When I first loaded and flew that plane it just oozed quality. Reminds me I want to load it and fly it tonight.

James
March 13th, 2012, 16:01
Your L-39 is still the definitive jet for flightsim! :salute:

amen...I have a pretty low-end laptop (integrated graphics, etc.) so the L-39's performance optimization make it just about the only thing that I'm able to fly payware-wise. and the paintkit is awesome :applause:

SeanTK
March 13th, 2012, 16:50

The MiG-29 was turning out to be a massive headache in just about every respect, and really good reference was very hard to come by. Also at the time I felt that my programming skills were not quite good enough to do proper justice to its systems. That part at least has improved over the past year, so I may still finish that project at some point, but probably not for a long while. For the past six months I have been working very hard on simpler aircraft, but I found out a couple of days ago that another developer has been working on that very same aircraft for quite some time and is much closer to completion than I am. So that one goes on the shelf now too. Just can't seem to get a break here, hehe. At least I learned some new stuff while working on it. At the moment I'm evaluating new airframe options. The main problem I face is that there are very very few aircraft that I really and truly adore, and most of those have been done for FSX already, and done well. I'll let you know what I come up with I guess... whenever I come up with it. :)

Thanks,

-Mike

Good luck with whatever you decide to produce in the future! The L-39 still gets regular use from me!

Unfortuantely in the Russian-aviation realm, there are flight manuals available for various civil aircraft (I've found stuff for the Il-18, Yak-40/42, Tu-134, etc, etc) , but they consist of hundreds, if not thousands of pages, all in Russian, so a native speaking team that is already familiar with the avionics is often required.

Of couse, the Western aircraft that I can think of that "need" to be done, usually cannot be due to ravinous legal teams! Sometimes you just can't win!

Lotus
March 13th, 2012, 17:05
Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate your kind words! It's nice to hear people are still enjoying it a few years on.

I've learned a lot since making the L-39, so whatever I come up with next will hopefully be much better. Have learned a few lessons about what not to do as well. :)

And you're spot on with that analysis Sean. Trying to find an airframe that you love dearly, and which will also be reasonably popular, and for which reference is available (hopefully in English), and for which there is an accessible example to photograph and fly...and which hasn't already been done for FSX.... that's the definition of a tall order right there!

Thanks,

-Mike

SeanTK
March 13th, 2012, 17:28
Here's an English-manual for the Antonov An-2....
http://avsimrus.com/f/documents-16/an-2-flight-manual-in-english-32902.html

Just food for thought...

Naki
March 13th, 2012, 17:37
Just be aware that Sibwings are doing an An-2...might be someway off though.

...and agree re the L-39..it's still one of my top flightsim aircraft

SeanTK
March 13th, 2012, 18:10
Just be aware that Sibwings are doing an An-2...might be someway off though.

...and agree re the L-39..it's still one of my top flightsim aircraft

Yeah, but the most recent An-2 pictures that they seem to have (on their Facebook) are from Autumn 2010. Good thing to keep in mind though.

Lotus
March 13th, 2012, 18:15
Unfortunately the An-2 is not really the kind of airplane I like. Too big, too slow, too many wings haha. I prefer the sleek, quirky, and reasonably quick and agile stuff... airplanes that you sort of "wear" rather than climb into, if that makes any sense. It's unlikely I will do anything from WW2 or earlier because other than the Spitfire there aren't many airplanes from that era that I consider intrinsically beautiful (blasphemy here I know, sorry!), nor would I do another trainer at this point I think, too much deja-vu. I'm not however restricting myself to eastern bloc or even military for that matter. Tubeliners though (of any age, origin, or form) are entirely out of the question for me! :)

Thanks for the suggestion though!

-Mike

snowbird552
March 13th, 2012, 18:41
How about a Tutor? hehe... :kilroy:

Naki
March 13th, 2012, 18:43
What about a Harmon Rocket II? ......prefer the sleek, quirky, and reasonably quick and agile stuff... airplanes that you sort of "wear" rather than climb into, .....okay perhaps not quirky but meets your other criteria.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/Naki_04/DSC_0246.jpg

SeanTK
March 13th, 2012, 18:45
Hmm...the bad thing about military stuff is research resources. Also, systems complexity is going to be up there no matter what you do unless it's a trainer.

Just random ideas here....(keeping in mind tubes, trainers, overly complex things, and slow things are out)

FSX could use any of the older Sukhoi fighters, Su-17/22, Su-25, etc, but then you have the complexity issue again.

On the civil side, something like a Dassault Falcon 2000 would be neat, but apparently Dassault's lawyers aren't very supportive of the whole flightsim thing.

Doesn't sound like you're into rotary-wing aviation, but there could be a few options there if in fact you are.

Any of the Saab combat jets would be neat. Lansen, Viggen, Gripen...most other combat jets other than the Russian stuff has been done already.

Tough call really...I can't think of anything readily accessible to offer!

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide to create. I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

vonstroheim
March 13th, 2012, 18:50
...Trying to find an airframe that you love dearly... and which hasn't already been done for FSX....

A Yak-40 maybe? Avionics are supposed to be a bit simpler than the usual russian stuff... I'm trying to portover the FS9 Suprunov SCDS Yak-40, I got the VC texture alright, but nothing will compare with a native FSX aircraft done right, just like the Lotus L-39!

http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_890116SCDSYak40.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=890116SCDSYak40.jpg) http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_745764SCDSYak40VC.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=745764SCDSYak40VC.jpg)

And yes the L-39 is my favourite FSX payware aircraft! Tops! Here she is with the blue panel option by Patricia and Olivier Roderiz...

http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_436435L39.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=436435L39.jpg) http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_618686L39VCwithbluepanel.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=618686L39VCwithbluepanel.jpg)

Ark
March 13th, 2012, 19:02
How about a Lotus Magistar or Lotus BD-5? :)

SeanTK
March 13th, 2012, 19:37
How about a Lotus Magistar or Lotus BD-5? :)

Iris did a BD-5 (payware), and Restauravia already did an excellent Fouga Magister (freeware).

http://restauravia.com/page11.html

http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/irisbd5.htm

@Vonstroheim, as much as I too would love a Yak-40 (or 42) he said no "tubeliners" so I imagine that's out of the picture. The systems are also just as complex as the Fulcrum, so we may need to aim a bit simpler for recommendations.

Heck, I don't even know if he's actually open to suggestions, I just started throwing ideas out there.

Lotus
March 13th, 2012, 19:46
Yup, starting to see my problem eh!

I'm not averse to complexity. The L-39 was not exactly "basic" after all, but systems and gauge complexity takes time to develop to the standards simmers want, a lot of time, so it has to be something pretty special (and fun) to demand that effort. I think any plane I make would have to be able to at least perform aileron rolls and be able to pull a respectable amount of G without shedding important parts, hehe. I enjoy flying bizjets every now and then, but building one, probably not. However, show me a bizjet with 1:1 thrust to weight and four point harnesses and I'll consider it. ;) Also 200+ knot cruise speed is something I'm looking for in any prospective airframe, though it's not a strict requirement. Most airplanes slower than that tend to become boring to me after awhile, though there are some exceptions. I am also rather fond of bubble canopies. I like to see the trees as they whiz past me, 10 feet away.

Really at this point I have no idea what I'll do, but I do appreciate the suggestions. :)

Thanks guys,

-Mike

James
March 13th, 2012, 21:14
personally, I think that you should stick to Eastern bloc aircraft, IMO there's just not many developers who make really good sov aircraft like that l-39. There's plenty of devs like IRIS that consistently make US and NATO aircraft (for the most part) but none that make some soviet aircraft...I would kill for a Lotus-quality MiG-25/31. A decent foxbat is something FSX has always needed IMO :)

jonraptor
March 13th, 2012, 22:40

Always thought we could use one of these in the Sim...its one of the most popular warbirds on the market today...the Nanchang CJ-6.

For something a little faster perhaps a Yak-3/9 :) Love your L-39 its still a favorite!

IanHenry
March 13th, 2012, 23:30
Mike,
how about a Tornado Gr4? The Tonka has been neglected by the payware fraternity.<o:p></o:p>

Regards,
Ian.

cortomalteseit
March 13th, 2012, 23:46
Lotus, please consider the idea of making an Aermacchi MB-339. It's a trainer very similar to the L-39 and no-one had developed a version of it for FSX.
There's a port-over of the Cloud9, i see, but i think it would be very appreciated from the FSX community!
Good work, whatever you'll decide to do! Cheers

padburgess
March 14th, 2012, 00:12
Lotus,
I know you said not WWII or less than 200knots, BUT. How about a FW189 Uhu. Cute, agile, quick in a kind of low and slow way and if you squint you could convince yourself that the beetle eye was a bubble canopy. And not done for FSX at all.
Whilst I don't have your 39 the screens of it show it to be a very impressive model. Well done.

Best Regards
Paul

MenendezDiego
March 14th, 2012, 00:16
Why not an L-159... :)

kilo delta
March 14th, 2012, 02:10
BAe Hawk T2,with full systems?:icon_lol:

AusWilko
March 14th, 2012, 02:43
Come across this in a magazine the other day and thought it looked cool

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_m346_en.php

doublecool
March 14th, 2012, 03:23
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Folland Gnat TR1

Small,,,, real small but fast for the day,

I always loved the lines

Warrant
March 14th, 2012, 04:00
Why not a SU-30MK(whatever variant you can add)?
Or the Eurofighter, or a Rafale?

Or (taking it to another scope)...a MQ-9 Reaper?

SeanTK
March 14th, 2012, 07:40
After looking for quite a while using the following criteria:

Not a trainer (has a "training configuration", as many Russian combat aircraft do, but it wasn't designed to be strictly a trainer)
Fast
Bubble canopy
Not done before for FSX
Russian/CIS/"Eastern Europe"
Enough resources to produce a reasonable representation

I've settled on recommending the

Ilyushin Il-28 "Beagle"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-28

There are a number of excellent external resources available, and a few non-descriptive cockpit pictures.
Additionally, there is a book available in English by Dmitriy Komissarov, which probably has more detail on the cockpit. I have an extensive Tu-154 book by Komissarov, and I can tell you he's thorough and makes good references!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ilyushin+il-28&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=2144&bih=1193&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8247174328252546305&sa=X&ei=dLtgT7n2B6L00gHvsNiqBw&ved=0CGcQ8wIwBg

I'm willing to help as much as possible if you decide to pursue this one.

You also may be able to contact the Polish Aviation museum, to see if they can send you reference images and other details as well:
http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/indexen.php

From your quote on page 1 and 2:
"It's unlikely I will do anything from WW2 or earlier because other than the Spitfire there aren't many airplanes from that era that I consider intrinsically beautiful (blasphemy here I know, sorry!), nor would I do another trainer at this point I think, too much deja-vu. I'm not however restricting myself to eastern bloc or even military for that matter. Tubeliners though (of any age, origin, or form) are entirely out of the question for me!
I enjoy flying bizjets every now and then, but building one, probably not. However, show me a bizjet with 1:1 thrust to weight and four point harnesses and I'll consider it. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/wink.gif Also 200+ knot cruise speed is something I'm looking for in any prospective airframe, though it's not a strict requirement. Most airplanes slower than that tend to become boring to me after awhile, though there are some exceptions. I am also rather fond of bubble canopies. I like to see the trees as they whiz past me, 10 feet away."

IanHenry
March 14th, 2012, 08:44
Lotus, please consider the idea of making an Aermacchi MB-339. It's a trainer very similar to the L-39 and no-one had developed a version of it for FSX.
There's a port-over of the Cloud9, i see, but i think it would be very appreciated from the FSX community!

How do you port over the Cloud 9 model, is there an update for it? It was an excellent model in FS9!

Regards,
Ian.

Chris Sykes
March 14th, 2012, 08:55
Hi i second Viggen, Draken and Grippen for FSX! Not soviet block types but cool looking birds!

I know Rick Piper built the Hawk T2 but doesnt have enough information on the cockpit to complete it...

The Gnat is a nice one too but is a trainer...

Txmmy83
March 14th, 2012, 09:13

that would be a very good choice indeed ;)
and will probably bring up many Virtual Aerobatic Teams using it especially from Italy

cortomalteseit
March 14th, 2012, 09:59
How do you port over the Cloud 9 model, is there an update for it? It was an excellent model in FS9!

Regards,
Ian.

Hi Ian,
I don't know how to port over it, i know somebody tried it and adapting some gauges made it well flyable in FSX...
There's a thread here at SOH (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?45050-Old-FS9-Cloud9-Aermacchi-MB339-in-FSX), but can't provide you more informations than these... :(

Lotus
March 14th, 2012, 10:45
Hi guys. Thanks very much for all of your suggestions. Some interesting ones in there for sure! Again, the problem with a lot of military stuff is getting access to real airframes to photograph and sit in, and the rarer and more interesting the airframe the harder that task is. I'm leaning towards some fast GA as an option as well, just for that reason, more opportunity for access. Getting up close and personal with an airframe, for an extended period of time, is pretty key to doing a good job on it for the sim. I am going to Europe for two weeks in May though, so I'm thinking hard about any European airframes I like, and might be able to climb into while I'm there. Plus I generally prefer the European stuff to American or Soviet, they're just sexier somehow. When it comes to airplanes it's a "love at first sight" thing for me. Hard to explain, but maybe easy to understand.

Anyway, the full effect of having to shelve six months of hard work has definitely hit home, and I think my best course of action for the next couple of days is to probably just play a lot of Skyrim and clear my head a bit! :)

Thanks guys,

-Mike

pilottj
March 14th, 2012, 11:00
There are lots of great ideas for projects. The right one will come to you when you see it Mike. :salute::icon29: In the meantime there is plenty of good FS flying to be done :)

peter12213
March 14th, 2012, 11:54

Thanks,

-Mike

That wouldn't be a certain Polish trainer would it?

SeanTK
March 14th, 2012, 11:58
That wouldn't be a certain Polish trainer would it?

Which would be what?

@Lotus/Mike,

One final suggestion, though it's a trainer, it apparently is based in British Columbia, Canada:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/C-GGRP.html

Walter
March 14th, 2012, 13:54
Not sure if you could get in one of these, but it sure is pretty!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAI_T-50_Golden_Eagle

jetstreamsky
March 14th, 2012, 14:22
Hawker Sea Fury, Tempest, Typhoon or Hunter :salute:

Sundog
March 14th, 2012, 14:28
There's already a Draken for FSX.

http://flightsim.bookmark.se/

Also, for GA don't forget the radial rocket or the Globe/Temco/Piper Swift and I love the new Speedstar TP and the Aerostar itself.

http://www.radialrocket.com/

Globe Swift (https://www.google.com/search?q=Globe+Swift&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=wGd&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hh1hT-q7HsrG0QHb5pilBw&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=769&sei=qh1hT5WnCuTa0QGfmdWTBw)

http://www.aerostaraircraft.com/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Airplane-Factory-Speedstar/1759914/L/&sid=ebb3daac89d4a02f0679e93dfcfd7994
http://www.airventure.org/news/2011/110727_aerostar.html

vonstroheim
March 14th, 2012, 15:25
However, show me a bizjet with 1:1 thrust to weight and four point harnesses and I'll consider it...

This is what you're looking for! The Da$$ault Falcon 10. A bizjet built and flown like a fighter!

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/493890falcon10.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/161946falcon101.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/330382falcon102.jpg

Since this is a plane produced from 1971 to 1989, since it was retired in 2003 from active duties in the French Navy, and if you market it under the name "Lotus Falcon 10", I don't think Da$$ault will unleash its lawyers on you...

Sources:
http://www.ffaa.net/aircraft/falcon-10/caracteristiques.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/corporateflightmanagement/sets/72157625403129770/

Jozef Košík
March 15th, 2012, 09:34

Thanks,

-Mike

Hi Mike. Would you do Aero 45/145? Good Aero 145 in FSX there. Materials I could deliver.
Sincerely,
Jožo

LonelyplanetXO
March 15th, 2012, 09:45
My vote would be Avanti II or Falcon trijet

LPXO

IanHenry
March 15th, 2012, 09:46
Hi Ian,
I don't know how to port over it, i know somebody tried it and adapting some gauges made it well flyable in FSX...
There's a thread here at SOH (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?45050-Old-FS9-Cloud9-Aermacchi-MB339-in-FSX), but can't provide you more informations than these... :(

Many thanks, I'll check it out, but I think it might prove very complicated.

Regards,
Ian.

James
March 15th, 2012, 10:12
a wing-in-ground effect aircraft would always be welcome...

6127861279 (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Aquaglide_2.jpg)

peter12213
March 15th, 2012, 13:51
Which would be what?

@Lotus/Mike,

One final suggestion, though it's a trainer, it apparently is based in British Columbia, Canada:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/C-GGRP.html

The TS-11 Iskra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_TS-11_Iskra

SeanTK
March 15th, 2012, 13:56
The TS-11 Iskra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_TS-11_Iskra

Ah, so another dev is pretty far along with an Iskra then? Allowed to divulge who specifically?

Chris Sykes
March 16th, 2012, 02:20
I totally forgot about the Draken... So that leaves me to think Grippen (i know AS did it but its not to a extreame good standard) or Viggen!!!

Mike (Lotus) where in europe you heading then using our collective knowledge and the WWW we could find some museums etc to the area your heading to see what aircraft would be suitable?

vonstroheim
January 8th, 2014, 17:36
What's new on the Lotus front, apart some funky repaints by Jiri Soukup (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=10472)?

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1176/dqo8.jpg

ryanbatc
January 8th, 2014, 19:55
He quit the Mig, for now. He's working on a cool little kiwi composite plane. Furio Falco I think?

(you'll have to login)
http://www.lotussim.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=738

HansRoaming
January 9th, 2014, 09:01
Thanks very much for the repaint link.First of all you think, bah a GA plane, then you remember who's doing it! :)

boxcar
January 9th, 2014, 09:29
Thanks very much for the repaint link.First of all you think, bah a GA plane, then you remember who's doing it! :)

Well said. :-) The Falcomposite Furio will be another gem. May Mike have time to complete that fun little hot rod.

Hard to believe that the Lotus Simulations L-39 Albatros is nearing 5 years old. She remains at the top of my list as favorite, still finding myself reading the manual just for the enjoyment.

fox18delta
January 9th, 2014, 10:05
Agreed. The Lotus L-39; simple to learn and fly. Weather effects on the canopy and airframe get you much closer to the real deal up there. Great frame rates, anywhere I fly, in any weather.
Just a wonderful product.
-paul

ryanbatc
January 9th, 2014, 10:28
And the first to showcase the special 3D lights. In fact most called them "Lotus Lights" when they appeared in other products.

I remember when Nick C started a thread on that plane here.... holy cow big thread!

And Amazing plane!

JIMJAM
January 9th, 2014, 11:06
Agreed. One of the best all around FSX addons I ever bought and I own most all of em. If he ever releases anything else I will buy it sight unseen.

orionll
January 9th, 2014, 11:34
I still call them the Lotus-style 3D lights. :P Certainly one of my favorite third party aircraft for flight sim. Looks great, runs smoothly, has innovative features, works well in multiplayer, and overall pretty fun to fly. :)