PDA

View Full Version : Real reason for LACMA visit...

Piglet
March 12th, 2012, 17:24
Moving a 340 ton rock from Riverside to LACMA61093

Daveroo
March 12th, 2012, 18:44
whats with that?.....why is it white?..is it a huge chunk of chalk? it doesnt look like quartz to me...340 tons?...whats LACMA?...i dont mean to come off as rude...im curious....have you seen the south afircan heavy trucks?...cant think of what they are called right now...made in france and used in south africa...they are huge,they will have like 2 or 3 "tractors" up front with a carrier like you show here and then one or two more tractors behind...

Meshman
March 12th, 2012, 20:24
I'm wagering a slab of bacon that LACMA is for the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

Glad to be out of the basin. With my luck I would have been stuck on the Pomona Freeway behind that wide load and no way to get around it! Right two lanes only for Billy Bigriggers in Kali, Kali, Kalifornia!

dogknot
March 13th, 2012, 07:34
It's white because it is shrink-wrapped.
What is freaky to me is they are getting this all done for the bargain price of $13 million.

LACMA
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art
http://www.lacma.org/

"Levitated Mass"
http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/levitated-mass

Piglet
March 13th, 2012, 20:51
Thanks DogKnot,
I was gonna put up a link for what it was all about. First saw it on the news, but was really impressed seeing it for real. Big scale engineering is an art form in itself.

P.S.
It's fun explaining engineering to snooty yuppies:wiggle:

Moparmike
March 14th, 2012, 14:09
It's fun explaining engineering to snooty yuppies:wiggle:

Heh...now try explaining moving a big rock around to a bunch of old farmers that spent their lifetime picking rocks off of fields by hand to clear the land for farming.

If LACMA wanted a lot of granite, we could've gave them a much better price on the same tonnage up here in ND. Better price as in "come and get it...bring your own truck". :icon_lol:
It would've just been a bunch of slightly smaller packages.

Definitely an interesting looking exhibit. Not to mention the hardware they're using to move that boulder around too...