PDA

View Full Version : Iris Mudhen or Milviz F-15?

brettt777
March 12th, 2012, 14:47
Okay so I was a bit slow in realizing there are now not one, but two F-15s available for FSX. Didn't know Iris was even doing one. I need to pay more attention. Anyway, so which one is better? I have products from both Milviz and Iris and I love them all. I see that with the Milviz plane you can track air or ground targets and shoot them with real ordinance, not just imaginary. That's a big plus. I know the Iris plane has ordinance and you can release it but does it track targets and go boom, etc? And, the Iris plane is almost $50! That's a bit steep. I hope it's worth it. So guys (and gals?), which Mudhen is better?

AusWilko
March 12th, 2012, 15:21
Oh lawd now you have done it, where is my Scotch and nibblies, this will be interesting :redfire: :a1451:

It has a habit of going south when these sort of X v Y questions come up, I have Iris because I don't own acceleration so my choice was limited.

Roger
March 12th, 2012, 15:23
Brett, I recommend a search for both on this forum. There have been some difficult moments for moderators with threads about both and we don't want a resurrection. As always where two respected payware houses produce the same model there will be some aspects that are superior and others that are inferior with both.

airattackimages
March 12th, 2012, 16:12
I don't have both so I can't say which is better, but I can say that I have the Iris Mudhen and I love it.

brettt777
March 12th, 2012, 16:30
Wow, I am so sorry guys, I didn't even think of that.... :banghead:

Meshman
March 12th, 2012, 20:27
I don't have either, but I can say the Milviz is sold via the Flight1 30 day money back if you don't like it sales process.

Kudos to developers who offer that to their potential customers.

MenendezDiego
March 12th, 2012, 21:22
I have both.

After the SP Milviz released, I went up for a spin in both.

Not long after a flight in the Iris bird, I went back to the Milviz bird.

Regards, Diego

Rogue
March 13th, 2012, 06:13
I found the Iris version is more accurate in the VC and Exterior. The VC in the Iris version is very detailed that even behind the seat is like the real thing. Also you will notice that the Iris Version has much more overall functionality in the VC that is correct from most of the switch working with the actual functions like the real jet even down to the rheostat lighting in the VC that you can even use during the day. I found there is a lot of little details that is right from the actual Technical Order. Also another great thing is they have shared cockpit which a lot of fun to fly with a friend.

As for the outside, their model is very accurate down to the engine nozzles, paneling, and of course including their bombs being the correct size. The went above the call to keep the detail correct. Which was done by the same guy who did the aerosoft F-16. Also the Iris one has a really awesome looking afterburner, wing vapor, and flares. They even kept so much to the real aircraft that they modeled little things like GPS dome, and correctly modeled various models with the different sensors per their year.

Iris also stated they are even coming out with a new update, better flight dynamics done from actual aeronautical engineer and little things to really tweak an already great product. They added releasable weapons and opted to go with Tac Pack to keep it so everyone can enjoy the new weapons for FSX@WAR in a complete and realistic combat theater.

Also if you look at the price, they charge $45AUD, while Milviz says $50USD in their F1 pay system.

I also forgot to mention the Iris Version gets better FPS.

flaviossa
March 13th, 2012, 06:29
Very satisfied with the milviz bird in here. The air refueling is fantastic. The systems are awesome modeled. The best representation of the f15 in FSX for me.

Jon@FSXACO
March 13th, 2012, 07:16
Milviz did a much better job simulating weapon, and the associated systems with it. Right now you can enjoy blowing stuff up on the ground, and shooting aircraft out of the sky in both single payer, and mulitiplayer. Milviz spent a lot of time tweaking the flight model to get the "feel" right with help from a real world F-15 E pilot, when the mudhen is loaded down with a bunch of weapons, she is a heavy bird, and she flies like it too.

For the weapons, in Air to Ground mode, both guided and unguided weapons work, the laser designator is simulated to help guide the maverick, and LGB's , with nice explosions to see your handiwork being done.

Air to Air mode all radar modes, and air to air weapons work, including the guns. Also there is a chaff a flare system, which works in both single and multiplayer modes, but in MP mode, the flare system works to help defend you against another players missile, it's not just there for eye candy.

And you get a free scenery and AI F-15 pack, that has F-15's from their real world operating bases, along with the AI pack, you get a mission pack to enjoy your F-15 with, AI and mission pack are free.

Don't want to start a war, and searching the forum there is a ton of information here, as well as both companies forums. I guess it comes down to what you like in your sim. I do a lot of mulitplayer flying, and the weapons and systems modeled in the milviz bird is what I prefer.

If you can afford it, get both, both companies would appreciate the support.

Jon

JAllen
March 13th, 2012, 07:35
I have both. I like the Iris HUD display the best except for the stinking pink spot. MilViz HUD characters are heavy and thick for my taste. I am familiar with the RW F-16 HUD so that is my reality measuring stick. For the way I like to fly they are the same. I am not multi-player (never will be) and don't wish to blow things up in FSX. So, for me, not much difference. If I had years of Eagle experience instead of Phantom, Thud and the electric jet then I might have a different view. If you try the F1 money back deal then you likely will be quite happy. But, like me, will you then be tempted to try the Iris anyway? Which makes this whole thread irrelevant and the question pointless. LOL

Jim

stovall
March 13th, 2012, 14:20
I have opened this thread back up, removing the negative posts off subject. Many of us can help brettt777 and others make a selection as to which of the F-15E's to purchase. Those with both can be especially helpful.

Both are in my hanger and I fly both, lately I have been enjoying the Milviz version because of the fantastic job the team did on the SP. I still like both and would say to brettt777, flip a coin and make your purchase. Next month buy the other aircraft as you will not regret it.

MenendezDiego
March 13th, 2012, 14:39
Thanks stovall,

Just to clear things up, the Milviz F-15E is $39.99 with a 30 day money back guarantee

Regards, Diego

Scandinavian
March 13th, 2012, 14:54
I haven't tried the Iris, but I am very happy so far with the Milviz. :) Looking forward to their F-15C. :)

JIMJAM
March 13th, 2012, 15:53
I bought the Milviz first day and hangered it shortly there after until the patch. I was getting horrible fps. After the patch I still was not happy with it and to my surprise received a low res version from someone from the project. Looks the same imo but I got a good +5 fps and less stutters. Cleaned up some scenery issues and now I can enjoy the jet.

I really knew it was a keeper when I crashed it a few times. You really cannot just slam the throttles forwards and expect it to save your butt in every situation. Its a big jet and they did a great job with the balance betreen weight and power.
I am no longer a systems junkie nor do I use how long a plane's flow chart is to determine its price or how realistic it is.
BTW- I consider their T38 to be one of the best overall military jets ever put out. I changed the roll stability to 1.3 to save my joystick and wrist from wearing out. I get a smile on my face evertime I load the white rocket up.

strykerpsg
March 13th, 2012, 21:38
You know, it would seem the only ones that can really share non-biased opinions are the one's that own both. It always seems that the negative or over-hyped views that derail the thread often don't own both.

I think he should consider several factors, such as price point, customer service, features, FPS and fun factor. I only own the Milviz bird and have had no regrets, both in systems depth, model accuracy and overall developer satisfaction.

Matt

1pepito2
March 15th, 2012, 14:45
Have you tried any of the freeware f-15's? I have one "mothballed" on a disc somewhere, and comparing to a friends payware (iris?) F-15 the differences came down mostly to things like the rivets, and minor cosmetic depictions. There are many panel packages that, with a bit of work, are comparable. The air and cfg files are, though sometimes time consuming, easy to play around with. There is available performance data on the net, and by "flying" it you can tell if the response times and "feel" are close to expected. NO simulated model of ANY aircraft will be acceptable to everyone, my best advise is to learn how to tweak air, cfg, panel, sound, texture, models... it's a lot of fun and you end up with a bird to your liking.

On the other hand, if you have the money to spend buy both, try them, then opt for a refund on the one you don't want.

P

airattackimages
March 15th, 2012, 16:47
Have you tried any of the freeware f-15's? I have one "mothballed" on a disc somewhere, and comparing to a friends payware (iris?) F-15 the differences came down mostly to things like the rivets, and minor cosmetic depictions.
There is no way you were looking at the Iris Mudhen. If anything you were looking at their old F-15, because there ain't a freeware Eagle or Mudhen anywhere around that would compare to either Iris' new Mudhen or the Milviz one.

strykerpsg
March 15th, 2012, 17:00
There is no way you were looking at the Iris Mudhen. If anything you were looking at their old F-15, because there ain't a freeware Eagle or Mudhen anywhere around that would compare to either Iris' new Mudhen or the Milviz one.

He's referring to the Iris Legacy F-15C and E, has been freeware for quite some time, not their current release.

C model: http://www.irissimulations.com/product-classics-f15c.php

E model: http://www.irissimulations.com/product-classics-f15e.php

1pepito2
March 15th, 2012, 17:18

It's a matter of opinion..... 'nuf said.

P

timghetta
March 15th, 2012, 17:32

P

Yeah it's a matter of opinion. I will say this. I modeled that plane with a lot of detail. A friend and I worked countless hours researching the cockpit to give an accurate 3D model. David and I worked tirelessly to make sure the systems follow the Technical Order. Maybe some of you really don't know who I am, or what I have done, but I have been doing it professionally since 2000, and was my hobby since the SubLogic days on a C-64. I created major titles you own, famous ones, and I like to make sure an aircraft is detailed and correct. So if you really want to know what an actual F-15E looks like well We made one. I appreciate it that others enjoy it, really I do. So with that being your opinion of "nuf said" I'll let this speak for me.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words.

MenendezDiego
March 15th, 2012, 19:25
And a splash is worth a million!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6986329381_3c4e35745e_b.jpg

Regards, Diego

MenendezDiego
March 15th, 2012, 19:34
Really though,

Which ever you choose, you still have the option to try the Milviz bird with a money back guarantee.

I will personally talk to you via skype or another audio platform and talk you through the systems on the first day so you can experience everything we have done.

Regards, Diego

IRIS
March 15th, 2012, 20:04
David & I have always enjoyed great discussions about products and developers and often encourage people to post their own findings about what they like & dislike, and in this most recent case, the F-15E has always been entertaining and enlightening to read.

I have always asked from our team that we want the customers to do the talking for us, offer their input, rather than having a bunch of IRIS members in the 1 thread filling in the all the holes as we enjoy taking a step back and seeing how the customers perceive certain elements of our products. Every now & then an IRIS senior will post, like Tim has done, with product images & feedback and information when required. I think allowing an open "forum" for the customers is paramount in the way the community interacts with each other & the products.

Let me answer a couple of things that have come up recently: People like fish sticks, people like chicken nuggets, people love both, or are vegetarians - the same can be said here. What IRIS brings to the community can be different from what other developers bring to the community. We sell through different distributors to give a broader range of buying options, we offer specials when we've had a great run on our products or the community needs a pick-me-up, we post reviews and customer feedback, and we are available as often as we can (allowing for timezones).

David, the team and I hope that this thread is able to stay open as we don't often get to see genuine feedback & pros/cons from you all in a native 3rd party setting.

Keep going community, your feedback is invaluable to us.

David & Karen

stovall
March 15th, 2012, 20:55
Now this is what a forum should be all about. Views and opinions helping people making decisions and enjoying the great products available to us. Boy am I glad I opened this thread back up. Thanks to all for your input.

svicar
March 15th, 2012, 22:00
Now this is what a forum should be all about. Views and opinions helping people making decisions and enjoying the great products available to us.

Hear, Hear!

Although I was only able to purchase one, from what I've read/seen/heard/experienced, both are lovingly developed and are truly entertaining as well as well supported by their respective companies. Although there are a great many comparison post available, I don't think you could go wrong with either package, frankly.

One last point I would like to make is that whichever one folks may own and espouse, we are all so fortunate to share a hobby where there are so many talented and ambitious third party developers releasing such quality products. :salute:

We are indeed blessed.

cortomalteseit
March 15th, 2012, 23:16
I own the MIlviz one, and it made me fall in love again with FSX. But the F-15E is a magnificent aircraft and I wanna buy the Iris as soon as I can, because for what i see, from video and photos, it's a masterpiece too with incredible details.
I suggest you to buy both. :salute:

airattackimages
March 16th, 2012, 12:26

P
Sure its a matter of opinion... If youre the kind of guy that thinks the sum of 2+2 is a matter of opinion.

1pepito2
March 16th, 2012, 18:07
Yeah it's a matter of opinion. I will say this. I modeled that plane with a lot of detail. A friend and I worked countless hours researching the cockpit to give an accurate 3D model. David and I worked tirelessly to make sure the systems follow the Technical Order. Maybe some of you really don't know who I am, or what I have done, but I have been doing it professionally since 2000, and was my hobby since the SubLogic days on a C-64. I created major titles you own, famous ones, and I like to make sure an aircraft is detailed and correct. So if you really want to know what an actual F-15E looks like well We made one. I appreciate it that others enjoy it, really I do. So with that being your opinion of "nuf said" I'll let this speak for me.

Cool your jets, I didn't criticize your work... nor have I ever been critical of anyones work. You don't know me either. I was expressing my opinion. I have no financial interest in any payware so what one buys is up to them. I encourage all to modify all aspects of their sim a/c to meet their liking, payware or freeware. I've flown many a real plane in my day, I'm more into dynamics than visuals.

..by the way, I've been involved one way or another with a/c since 1969, no doubt we're both knowledgeable about systems... you know how they're supposed to work and I know how the actually work.

strykerpsg
March 16th, 2012, 21:50

I just had to share this shot offf the Milviz forum(Greg German's shot), it's a fantastic shot. Diego and Ken, my apologies for not asking permission first, but am unable to log onto Milviz for some reason or other.

Anyway, as has been stated, either Mudhen is outstanding, but I think you'll find nothing wrong with this shot at all.

Matt

MenendezDiego
March 16th, 2012, 22:06
Matt,

Thank you for sharing that photo.

No need to ask permission. I actually made this post over at the Milviz forums:

"Outstanding stuff guys!

Could anyone replicate this shot: http://files.air-attack.com/MIL/f15/f15 ... 090825.jpg (http://files.air-attack.com/MIL/f15/f15e_aludeid_20090825.jpg)

Heat blur would be an amazing addition...ggerman this is right up your alley http://milviz.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

I'd love to have it on our FB banner.

Regards, Diego"

airattackimages
March 17th, 2012, 13:04
I could do it, but it would be the Iris version because that's what I have...

MenendezDiego
March 17th, 2012, 13:12
We already had it done.

Thanks

timghetta
March 17th, 2012, 18:05
Enjoy,

All I can say is WOW, The Cinematography is very good and figured well we have it on the Facebook page why not here?
It was done from another Fabulous Fan of the Iris Mudhen, Thank you Michael for your blood sweat and tears making this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQPolyUKqwQ&list=UUt4VhEQzHns5e7ny0DeKRxA&index=1&feature=plcp

jeansy
March 17th, 2012, 18:57
my understanding is the MIlviz bird is on sale now and its cheaper than the iris bird

why not get the milviz bird and if you dont like it, use the 30day money back guarantee that only the milviz bird comes with

after buying one and playing with the other, I personally am glad i bought the milviz bird over the other as its got all the bells and whistles which the the iris owners are asking for on the iris forums

airattackimages
March 17th, 2012, 18:59
Here's a video of me having some fun with the Iris Mudhen. The production value isn't incredible like the other video, but its just a quick and simple video.

http://youtu.be/14sHWSPb4aM?hd=1

Switch to 1080 for the best picture.

strykerpsg
March 17th, 2012, 21:54
Enjoy,

All I can say is WOW, The Cinematography is very good and figured well we have it on the Facebook page why not here?
It was done from another Fabulous Fan of the Iris Mudhen, Thank you Michael for your blood sweat and tears making this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQPolyUKqwQ&list=UUt4VhEQzHns5e7ny0DeKRxA&index=1&feature=plcp

Wow! Fantastic video! Thanks for sharing.

Matt

timghetta
March 17th, 2012, 21:55
On a positive note, Airattackimages, You make some awesome videos, your camera effects rock, and the aerial flights is like a ballet in the sky. The one video I do really like is when you made that walk around of the 2005 TMOTA (Tiger Meet of the Americas) I think really shines is how close you can get to the aircraft and it still retains that immersion factor from the detail. We had posted them on our Facebook page, and I hope to see more in the near future.

We have really received a positive response from our customers, from the repaints at flightsim.com, customer videos on youtube, and all of the post and comments on our facebook pages, I think what Jeansy posted might have been a little exaggerated by his statement, but hey what can I say?

strykerpsg
March 17th, 2012, 21:59
Here's a video of me having some fun with the Iris Mudhen. The production value isn't incredible like the other video, but its just a quick and simple video.

http://youtu.be/14sHWSPb4aM?hd=1

Switch to 1080 for the best picture.
Nice video too. Did they fix the AB engine fire issue when using the burners more than a few seconds?

jeansy
March 17th, 2012, 22:17
We have really received a positive response from our customers, from the repaints at flightsim.com, customer videos on youtube, and all of the post and comments on our facebook pages, I think what Jeansy posted might have been a little by his statement, but hey what can I say?

exaggerated not really , there have been requests for such things, one that comes to mind was aa modes with the radar plus others

as seen http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/10888-questions-about-futur-update/

no skin off my nose but i count at least 3 things in 2 posts ive made, 30day money back, AA modes and tanker, its some exaggeration

neutrino
March 17th, 2012, 22:33
Enjoy,

This video is amazing, it deserves a special place to be seen by a lot of people :salute: It can even serve as an unofficial trailer :icon_lol:

skyhawka4m
March 18th, 2012, 03:08
If one were to buy the Milviz bird.....is the download a complete aircraft now and will it load with out having to jump through hoops to get it in the sim? I know these were the things keeping me from buying it before the IRIS bird came out. I have the IRIS and love it. Can't say I've had a need for a tanker as most of my flights don't require a tanker and besides....I preferr flying my sim and not trying to play it as a DCS type of game. Again...if I want the bombing I'll go to DCS.

Naruto-kun
March 18th, 2012, 05:46
The installer is complete and works flawlessly. However, you must disable all antivirus software before downloading.

Felixthreeone
March 18th, 2012, 06:06
After much research and agonizing, I decided to purchase the Milviz model. I was not disappointed. It is a fantastic addon that does everything it claims to do, and more. Takes a bit of **** discipline, but it is well worth it. And the Milviz support is OUTSTANDING!!!

....I do not own nor do I have any experience with the Iris model, but from what I saw when researching my purchase, it is also an excellent addon. And there is always the possibility that I may purchase it in the future.

Just to add, in response to naruto's post....I did not disable my ESET antivirus during download, nor did I disable it during install. And the download and install went perfectly fine. Fully functioning aircraft with all SP's in order. Very happy customer!

Naruto-kun
March 18th, 2012, 06:28
The reason i posted it though is because some AV programs wont allow the Flight1 wrapper to work. Even if you do manage to down load and run the installer it tends to mess with the licensing files and we had several customers who had to do a reinstall without the AV running because it messed up their install.

joe bob
March 18th, 2012, 07:30
In regards to the Milviz, I have a AMD 64x2 dual core 6000+2 ghz 3.37 GB ram
and no prospects of upgrading any time soon.
I think I remember there are options for the processor challenged. I imagine I am below even that but thought it worth asking.
If not then F-111 here I come!

Skyhawk_310R
March 18th, 2012, 08:43
In regards to the Milviz, I have a AMD 64x2 dual core 6000+2 ghz 3.37 GB ram
and no prospects of upgrading any time soon.
I think I remember there are options for the processor challenged. I imagine I am below even that but thought it worth asking.
If not then F-111 here I come!

To answer your question, to help people with slower computers, we incorporated three versions of the aircraft's model. The default one is the most detailed but because of that also the most framerate challenging. I provided the details on what to do to swap the lower resolution models in another thread here at SOH, but it is not that difficult to do. I would suggest purchasing our jet and then swapping those models and see how that works for you. You may be pleasantly surprised. But, even if it does not meet your requirements, you have the 30-day refund option, so there's truly no risk on your end -- just the chance for a pleasant surprise.

Cheers,

Ken

strykerpsg
March 18th, 2012, 11:22
I waited for the SP before purchasing and it did install without issues. I even purchased when the price went up initially and Colin emailed me directly, allowing me to either take a refund for the price difference or apply to my next purchase. To me, it was the pinnacle of support that Milviz continues to offer that keeps me buying their aircraft and helicopters. As they release a new product, they continue working through all the bugs and shortcomings until it's a complete work and have never left their customers needs unchecked.

Milviz did offer an intially awkward release of their Mudhen, but they have worked relentlessly to refine and polish their current release. Some may not want the tanking, AA modes and bombing, but that's the beauty of the Milviz release is that you don't have to use any of those features, but they are there if you want them and are available now.

This comparision thread reminds of the Spy vs Spy cartoon when I was a kid......61487 both want to come out ahead but both are really very good looking birds, just different tastes for different fliers.

Victory103
March 19th, 2012, 03:57
Nice reference strykerpsg with the Spy vs Spy, completely agree as I sit back and have watched both releases through these forums, seen all the vids. Unable to download due to my slow ISP overseas, even had the crazy idea to purchase both. I have products from both developers and enjoy them as a mostly military flyer, but my standard has been set with another dev's super "insect" regarding what can be done within the limits of FSX with weapons/avionics.

strykerpsg
March 19th, 2012, 10:18
Victory103, have you tried talking directly to Colin at Milviz? I think they could probably send you a hard copy installer & Flight1 wrapper to verify purchase. Also, milviz bird very much replicated as well as the VRS Super Hornet and have stated the Tacpack will be compatible.

Anyway, just a thought.

Matt

jeansy
March 19th, 2012, 22:46
Come to think of it vic

Anyone can send you a hardcopy.

The only thing you would need to download is the flight 1 key

And that in it self is only a few bytes via email onced purchased

If your near any Australian units I can send it to them if you can wonder over to them to collect it?

Victory103
March 20th, 2012, 00:40
Thanks for the ideas, but we are down to <60 days, so I think I can hold off till I get back stateside. Still having fun with the Milviz T-38 and of course my Iris fav's (A-10/F-14/T-6) to help me get by.

jeansy, your fellow countrymen are the few I haven't had a chance to work with this tour.

jeansy
March 20th, 2012, 00:47
jeansy, your fellow countrymen are the few I haven't had a chance to work with this tour.

fair call if you are under 60 remaining, it would be kinda pointless, by the time it gets to you, you will be handing in your leave form back at your parent unit