PDA

View Full Version : Elevator Trim Wheel

Ghostrider
March 11th, 2012, 18:47
Anyone know if these work in CFS2? I recently picked up Saitek's, and it is most excellent in other flight sims, I highly reccomend it, but CFS2 doesn't seem to recognize it. Anyone have any experience with this? If you've done any flying IRL, you know that elevator trim is never far from your mind. This gadget really adds a lot to the virtual flying experience.

I see that an older version of FSUIPC will work with CFS2? Sweet! Maybe that is the answer... Anyone else done this?

bearcat241
March 12th, 2012, 00:29
I don't have it, but you might find a clue in the last paragraph here (http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/cesstrim.htm) to make the gadget work right.

Shadow Wolf 07
March 12th, 2012, 03:57
GR: Plug in the stick and start the game. Go to Settings/controller assignments and at the top of the page thre will be a tab for opening up the other controls. (i don't have my stick with me so it doesn't show on my screen at this time and the exact name escapes me.) From there you can set your rotaries t things like elevator trim, mixture etc. I have the Saitek X-52 and the Avi8tor. Both work well with this function enabled to a rotary.

Ghostrider
March 12th, 2012, 06:28
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the info. I just started to delve into this last night before I hit the sack, so haven't gotten too deep into the process yet. I'm in the midst of re-doing my controllers for all flight sims, using the following:Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog throttle and stick, (awesome), CH Flight yoke, CH pro pedals, 6 axis CH Throttle Quadrant, Saitek single throttle/prop/mix quadrant, and the aforementioned trim wheel. Also just grabbed a TrackIR, which is really cool. I have built a wooden mount for all of these that fits over my keyboard drawer, and a plywood mount that I put on my chair for the joystick which puts the stick between my knees where it belongs, instead of up on the desktop. Single throttle quad is on my left, used with joystick and pedals for a piston fighter setup, 6 axis quad on the right, used with the yoke for twins and heavies. FSUIPC does a great job of assigning (with some configuration work) the many axes to the right controls. This setup will cover anything from a Piper Cub to a P-38, a B-25 or B-29, to an F/A-18 to a 747. All controllers plug into the same dedicated powered USB switch mounted underneath. So when company is coming, all I unplug is the 1 USB, and its power cable, and remove the whole setup, and the joystick mount from my seat. The rudder pedals stay on the floor under the desk.

It's not by any means a 'cockpit', but it is capable of simulating any type of aircraft's controls quite well, is highly mobile, and positions the controls much better than just piling them on my desktop in front of my monitor, and setup/takedown are basically one step, for 7 peripherals, which suits my needs really well.

I'm flying CFS2 (of course!), FSX, DCS A-10 Warthog, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, Rise of Flight, BMS Falcon, and Wings over Vietnam/Yankee Air Pirates. So I am making overlays/labels for the many buttons in the different sims. Lots of fun doing the "work" getting ready to fly!

Ghostrider
March 12th, 2012, 18:49
Good to go - FSUIPC 3.99 was the ticket. I have an entirely new respect for P-38 drivers. Using a two-handed yoke while controlling throttle/prop/mix for both engines, rudder pedals and trim to do your ACM, all while aiming and firing guns, and trying to keep the bandit in sight requires a LOT of practice! The realization that doing all of those things at once is extremely difficult forces you to avoid "knife fights", and stick with boom and zoom tactics. Two eyes, two arms and two legs just aren't enough to do all of those things simultaneously and well. Changing controllers was a "game changer" on this bird - Much more difficult, challenging, and immersive! I've been flying CFS2 since day one, and the first time I flamed a Zeke like this, man, it was exhilarating! BOOM! Starboard wing came off in a big explosion, and I thought I had accomplished something!