PDA

View Full Version : REALLY interesting news came my way -

Toastmaker
March 10th, 2012, 10:25
I have often wondered about some of the details of my father's WWll experiences as a B-24 top turret gunner and subsequent stint as a POW. While he was alive, he told me some stuff but I started investigating a bit for specifics.
Well, lo and behold - I encountered a guy on the internet who does the same thing as a hobby and had a boat load of info and documents that answered most of my questions !

He was in the 15th AF, 451st. BG (heavy), 727th Bomb Squadron, flying out of one of the Foggia, Italy area fields (Castellucia). On October 13, 1944, his crews 18th mission, they went against rail marshalling yards and oil storage just south of Vienna, Austria. Three squadrons participated (about 45 aircraft) and the flak was considered extreme, but few enemy aircraft appeared. Upon comming off the target and in a bank angle, his plane "42 Kay" (previously known as "Weesie") was hit twice in quick succession by flak which fatally damaged the port wing and no. 2 engine. He went out the bomb bay and was captured in Vienna by locals and turned over to German military who were collecting downed aircrew all over the place. Of the 45 planes involved, 12 went down or never returned to base.

This guy on the internet sent me (via the net) a crew picture showing my dad and his crew with names and crew positions, the MACR (Missing Aircrew Report) which details the aircraft, configuration, equipment, crew and synopses from witness statements from other aircraft who saw his plane get hit and go down ! This is marvelous information for me that helps me mentally re-create what he went through at 19 years old !

He was then held at LuftStalag I and shortly transferred to LuftStalag IV for the duration. For some reason, he never saw his crewmates again and learned years later that only three returned home after the war. I bought a large picture book called The 451st Bomb Group in WWll - A Pictorial History which really brought to life the period and the incredible losses sustained by 15th AF bombers between '43-'45. Another nasty trick was played by fate when my mother received a telegram in late Oct. '44 listing my father as KIA ! It took the Red Cross three months to learn about the error based on late German POW reports. Quite an emotional yo-yo she had to experience but better than the original news that so many received correctly.

It's so good to know these minute details of this part of his life, that had such an impact on the kind of man he became. He retired from the USAF in 1972 as a full Colonel and I miss him tremendously -

Willy
March 10th, 2012, 10:49
Cool Toast! That was one tough generation.

middle
March 10th, 2012, 10:52
VERY COOL!!!

philmoberg
March 10th, 2012, 11:01
That's really interesting news, indeed! My late father in law flew B-24s for the 15th AF as well, only he was in the 98th BG, 415th Squadron out of Lecce. As nearly as I can tell, he was shot down (the second time) on what proved to be the 98th's last strategic mission of the war, two weeks after which they repatriated. He and the survivors of his crew bailed out into Yugoslavia and were picked up by the Chetniks. They had a rough time of it, and weren't repatriated for nearly another year. He then spent another year in AAF hospital in Plattsburg recovering from his injuries. Unfortunately, it's proven much harder to information on the 98th's operations in the MTO. He was a good friend, and I miss him too.

Toastmaker
March 10th, 2012, 12:27
I wonder if Hey_Moe knows that there was a B-24J, 42-51090, in the 451st Bomb Group, 725th Bomb Squadron called . . . . . . . . "Hey Moe" (formerly named "Lois M"). This aircraft arrived in Italy in July 1944 but crashed Nov. 14, 1944 after a training flight.

PS: Philmoberg - the 98th BG participated in the Ploesti raids.

Daveroo
March 10th, 2012, 12:45
the man i grew up living across the street from..his son became my brother inlaw,both have now passed,but bert,the father was a mechanic in the 15th AF and worked on B24s...i dont know specifics,but the plane he claimed was "his"..had a yellow and black checker board pattern on the horisontal tails..well ok on the rudders..

philmoberg
March 13th, 2012, 07:52
... the 98th BG participated in the Ploesti raids.

I'm aware that he flew at least most of the high-level missions. He didn't fly the original, low-level mission because he didn't ship over until about the time Colonel Kane was relieved. This was just about the time the 98th moved from Libya to Palestine, based on what little I've been able to dig up since he passed. He had a great deal of praise for the 332nd FG, and never missed the chance to tell you about them. He had a lot of other stories, as well, some comic and some tragic. I was certainly blessed to have heard the ones I did.