PDA

View Full Version : iGMapHD for iPad

VinFlyer
March 10th, 2012, 05:40
Anyone here who's got experience with this app: http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=52? I came across it when looking for flightmaps or a electronic flightbag for the ipad.
Is this app only useful for when flying in the USA or also useful in other parts of the world? As it's $19,99 I would like to know how it is as for an app it's not cheap.

jschall
March 10th, 2012, 06:20
GMap and iGMAP and GMap for Android all use Google Maps for the background map. The mobile versions for i-things, and the Android version for tablets and smartphones use a worldwide database for navaids and airports (so you won't see fictional airports like KHCM and KEWL). You can add the same worldwide database to the free PC version for $15 from fswidgets.

I use both the PC version and the Android version. But for flight-plan creation and moving map functions, I prefer the freeware Plan-G on the PC.

pbearsailor
March 10th, 2012, 06:29
I use it all the time on the iPad and really like it. I mostly fly in the US, so it gives me sectional, WAC, or IFR charts on the moving map.

FSWidgets just released their EFB app and it has a Google map based moving map as well. It also has Dropbox integration, so you can load approach plates and manuals to Dropbox and then access them through the app. The moving map is not as detailed as in the other app, but works fine for most of what I need. You can also load weather maps in this new app.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

kilo delta
March 10th, 2012, 12:34
I've ported Andoid 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) to my HP Touchpad and have FsMovMap (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.connect.MovMap&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jb 25uZWN0Lk1vdk1hcCJd) running on it. Works very well when I invariably get lost when flying into IMC conditions during a VFR flight!:icon_lol:

VinFlyer
March 12th, 2012, 12:04
Thanks for the input. I tried out FsMovMap on my HTC phone and it works like a charm :-) Only downside is that it's on a small screen. But if that iPad app does the same and more then I'm sold. I'll give it a try.