PDA

View Full Version : the "morman" flower thread,made me do this

Daveroo
March 9th, 2012, 14:34
My family has allways done the "family tree,geneology" thing on my dads side,we know that we are "pennsilvania dutch",that our "founding fathers originated in switzerland,went to holland,and then moved to the united states in the 1700s,i dont recall the dates and details this second,but i do know,two brothers, ( both "clergymen") and two sisters married.skip ahead a bit and my great grand mother was a amish woman who road from pennsilvania amish country to oregon in a rocking chair on the back of an old truck,she refused to ride in the cab...but she had married a mennonite man...who i get my surname from..for those who dont know,or are not awhare....the mennonites begat the amish..not the other way around.....again i dont know the years this occured..but it is true that the amish broke from the mennonite church to form the more strict sect.

this all leads me to my mom..she wanted to know more about her side...so we did some digging...we discovered that my 11th great grandfather.....my mothers fathers side...was a man named Robert Seeley,who came to the colonies in 1630.with the winthrop group..he was fairly well known for his day..he even has a wikipage....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Seeley

he was shot above the left eye with an arrow during the Piquot wars and survived and was one of the first to be in the massichusettes bay colony...

also..back to my dads side...my dads mothers mother..was a cousin to president tyler...somehow...im never seen the "tree" but its been said for years.....lol....

tell us yer family...

stiz
March 9th, 2012, 15:36
my dad side is pretty much "army" all the way to the charge of the light brigade (he was present in the area, not actually in the charge), full of funny stories that you expect to hear from people who have been in the army (like winning a donkey in a bare fist boxing match down the seafront!). Me mums side is a totaly mystry, we can get as far back as me nans mum, but before that not a thing, there was some sort of famerly fallout, but it also seems there might have been a murder .. most intresting but we cant find anything else out about it :(

magoo
March 9th, 2012, 16:55
Daveroo
great grand mother was a amish woman who road from pennsilvania amish country to oregon in a rocking chair on the back of an old truck,she refused to ride in the cab
.....Didn't Granny Moses do that when the Clampetts loaded up the truck and drove to Beverlee....?

...You know the old scriptwriter's addage....write what you know....

Gotta wonder. It's a small world.