PDA

View Full Version : Gmax FS dual transparency textures question

Lionheart
December 22nd, 2008, 11:33
Hey guys,

Alot of us are developers that hang out here. I have posed this question at FSDeveloper.com and didnt get an ansere, so I am wondering if someone here might know of the fix for this issue.

Ok, you have a transparent prop disc, transparent plexi windows, and transparent sun visors... The sunvisors in exterior (spot plane view) mode show as invisible. If you open the door and look in, they are there. Meaning the plexi is cancelling them out.

How does one get the sunvisors to show up?

Someone suggested using z-bias name tags to make the components to be drawn last, which didnt help. (This is still in the FS9 Gmax format, so perhaps z-bias is a FSX option that doesnt work in FS9?)

Does one make the visors to be drawn absolutely last? Or would they be drawn first?

I would be greatful for any advice or thoughts on this. It may just be one of those things that cannot be cured, but I am hoping I am wrong. :d

Bill

N2056
December 22nd, 2008, 11:41
Uhh..you're asking a fs9 question in the FSX forum? :confused:

NCGent
December 22nd, 2008, 11:46
I wish I could answer your question Bill, that would mean I am past learning to use Gmax:banghead: This program is 1 million times harder to learn than FSDS and if I did not have FSDS you guys would not even know who I am:costumes:

Chris

MCDesigns
December 22nd, 2008, 12:01
Good point Chris and I have to commend Louis for keeping FSDS updated. I learned FSDS first and figured I needed to learn Gmax to move up to 3DSMax. Tried in vain 4 different times over the course of a year and NONE of it made sense. 5th time it clicked and haven't looked back.

Still need to learn other aspects so I can answer questions like Bills, LOL.:redf::redf::redf::redf:

Bill, try sending a Pm to Bill Leaming (n4gix) from eaglsoft, he is a guru when it comes to Gmax.

Lionheart
December 22nd, 2008, 13:42
Hey guys,

Michael, I was the same.. FSDS, then off to Gmax. Only after a computer crash, was I half way forced to learn Gmax for the upteenth time.. I 'made' it click then. Have to do the tutorials in order (rule one), then do them by heart before going to the next level of tutorial (rule two), then go to the 'stupid idiots guide to gmax' web tutorial (brilliant...!)

(Thats for those that dont know Gmax and want to learn).

The gentleman that told me about z_bias or z-bias is Bill Leaming. He is trully a master. I cant figure out how he can know and (and) remember all of this. He has all gauge code memorized better then the english language, uses extreme hard core graphics programs for mapping his planes, saying 'its so easy... so easy....' arrghh.... :banghead:

Bill

Wozza
December 22nd, 2008, 16:23
Hi Bill
Try unchecking the optimize option in makemdl.
The downside to this is any child of an animated part will loose its mouse code.what I mean is say you have a throttle knob child to the throttle lever which is animated,when you compile with the optimize option on the knob will inherit the throttle lever code.With it off it wont and the knob will need to be joined to the throttle lever so its one part
cheers
Wozza

Lionheart
December 22nd, 2008, 17:00
Thanks Wozza,

Off to try that now.

Bill

n4gix
December 23rd, 2008, 10:05
Someone suggested using z-bias name tags to make the components to be drawn last, which didnt help. (This is still in the FS9 Gmax format, so perhaps z-bias is a FSX option that doesnt work in FS9?)

Since the ZBIAS_material name is explained in the FS2002 and FS2004 SDKs, I'd think they were applicable to an FS9 project...

Note that ZBIAS_ is not prefixing the texture's name, it is prefixing the Material's name!

mike_cyul
December 23rd, 2008, 12:25
What I do, is take note of the parts that are cancelled out or showing through. Then save those parts in seperate files. I then either add the first to the second, or vice versa, whichever way that seems to change the heirarchy to the order the part needs.

In the L-4, the pilot's sunglasses necessitated that I isolate him (he's a 'group') as a seperate file, and then add the rest of the L-4 to his file. Then no more problem.

Mike

pcmeneg
December 24th, 2008, 03:59
The DS_ sprefix could solve your problem?

Merry Christmas

Lionheart
December 24th, 2008, 06:26
Many thanks guys,

I'll try all these ideas out and see what happens. It will be cool to get this monster wiped out.

I'll have to wait though. Seems I fried my computer last night. :banghead:

Note to self, 'I am no longer allowed to work on my own computer... never never never... '

Bill