PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a .PAK packer that packs MS flight .PAK files?

Peter SWE
March 7th, 2012, 02:51
I got stutters on my core2duo system with flight so i thougt i would do an old fsx tweak and resize the textures to get the fps up.
I have opened up the corecontents.pak and resized the .dds files but i don't know what software packer to use to put it back together again.

I tryed the one for quake but i didn't work.

Anyone know what program i should use?

Roger
March 7th, 2012, 04:05
I think 7 zip should do it?

Peter SWE
March 7th, 2012, 04:18
I think 7 zip should do it?

Nope, already tryed that. Unpacks only. Thats what i used to unpack in the first place.

rhumbaflappy
March 7th, 2012, 04:39
I don't believe you can alter the contents of any pak file... it will invalidate your installation of Flight, and you may need to reinstall, possibly losing anything you've saved or bought.

There is a lot of protection in Flight to insure you bought addons from Microsoft only... no 3rd party content or alterations allowed. Think about it. They are not going to allow you to modify anything... and doing so violates their terms of use.

Besides, changing the format of images will not make your system run any better. My old e6300 core 2 duo at 1.8 GHZ is working OK. It is probably your videocard that is lagging. Use low or medium settings, and make sure you have the latest videocard drivers.

Dick

Peter SWE
March 7th, 2012, 06:43
I don't believe you can alter the contents of any pak file... it will invalidate your installation of Flight, and you may need to reinstall, possibly losing anything you've saved or bought.

There is a lot of protection in Flight to insure you bought addons from Microsoft only... no 3rd party content or alterations allowed. Think about it. They are not going to allow you to modify anything... and doing so violates their terms of use.

Besides, changing the format of images will not make your system run any better. My old e6300 core 2 duo at 1.8 GHZ is working OK. It is probably your videocard that is lagging. Use low or medium settings, and make sure you have the latest videocard drivers.

Dick

Ah... Ok. Thanks.

I got a core2duo E8500 3.16GHz
4gb ram on the motherboard
Nvidia GTX 460oc 1gb
Windows7

Everything is set on low exept sharpness.

I got lots of microstutters that are really anoying.

olaf1924
March 7th, 2012, 07:04
Peter I am using the same cpu and gpu as you and I have no problems with flight at medium settings. I did update the video card drivers last month.

rhumbaflappy
March 7th, 2012, 10:38
It would be a video card driver issue, or something else is polling the computer. I had a USB joystick that was polled and interfering with FSX once upon a time. Updated drivers fixed it.

I can actually run on high settings with my nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX, which is an old DirectX Shader 3.0 card with 512MB memory. Slight lag. Flight is tremendously smooth for me. As it should be with almost no gauges and no AI.

My guess your problem is either drivers need updating, or there is a background service running that is interfering with the game.

Dick

jandjfrench
March 7th, 2012, 14:55
Gamebooster! Don't leave home without it.

Peter SWE
March 7th, 2012, 18:23
I updated the drivers and that helped a lot!

Thanks for the help.:salute:

n4gix
March 8th, 2012, 07:13
Dick is quite correct. There's quite a bit of cross-checking and file integrity validation going on in the background, which is certainly a lot more involved than simple CRC checks... :173go1: