PDA

View Full Version : Getting Track IR4 into a Saitek X52...

peterjh
December 22nd, 2008, 07:18
Having just purchased the superb Track IR4 and needing to configure the F12 and F9 functions into my Saitek X52 I am having diffs.
Has anyone perfected this? It doesn't sound as if it should be difficult but I can't get it to cooperate. Can someone spoonfeed me through the steps please??

chinookmark
December 22nd, 2008, 08:45
Are you familiar with assigning keypresses to the X52 through the profiler software?

To test, I just used the profiler to assign F9 and F12 to Toggle 3 and 4, and it seems to work fine.

Akatsuki
December 22nd, 2008, 08:58
Shouldn't be a problem with the joystick profiler... but do not forget to unassign the F9 and F12 keys into FSX or they will conflict with TIR4.

Tako_Kichi
December 22nd, 2008, 09:21
I assigned the 'centre' and 'pause' commands to my X52 via the profile software but I don't use the standard F keys. I changed the 'centre' command to 'CTRL+\'<ctrl+\> and the 'pause' command to <ctrl+[> 'CTRL+[' so that they don't interfere with any default FSX settings. I have them assigned to the POV Hat 1 + Pinkie Switch so that I can still use the Hat when TIR is paused. I like to pause TIR when going for a click spot in the VC and also when in external view as I prefer to use the Hat in external.</ctrl+[></ctrl+\>

Fortiesboy
December 23rd, 2008, 01:46
Chaps - S!
I was with Peter when we were trying to implement these keys. In view of the replies, I should point out that we were not using the Saitek software ( profiles etc.)
We were trying to assign keys to joystick assignments within the FSX controls menu.
It turned out that, although we started with F9 and F12, that, in fact, we realized that we couldn't get any key to assign to a joystick button.

This was something totally unexpected, and we couldn't/can't figure out why that might be.?

I wondered if this was because the O.S was Vista?

It seems we might have to use the Profile software, but I thought that the stick could be run without it?

cheers

chinookmark
December 23rd, 2008, 08:45
In the FSX menus, you can assign commands to joystick buttons, but I don't think you can assign keys to joystick buttons. Try the profiler software. It's fairly simple to use, and you don't have to program the whole joystick. You only need to program what you want to add. That being said, once you start using the software, you may become addicted. There's virtually unlimited possibilities, especially when you start using the mode knob, and the pinky as a 'shift' key.

GypsyBaron
December 23rd, 2008, 14:34
You can't control TrackIR inputs ( pause, center ) by any
FSX menu function. Those keystrokes are intercepted by
TrackIR BEFORE FSX even sees them.

You MUST use the X52 profile software to assign the chosen
keystrokes to any switch/button you wish.

I have an X-45 and use the profile software to set my
TrackIR functions to CTL+F5 and CTL+F7. I also program
a few other multi-key strokes to the X-45 using the profiler.
In order to 'extend' the functionality of the HOTAS using the
'shifted' set and 'mode' sets you MUST use the profile
software as FSX simply sees those as individual switches,
not a 'shift+' operation or a 'Mode 1 (2) (3)' operation.

You can still assign FSX functions to the various X-52
switchs/axis via the FSX 'Controls' menu but these will
simply be seen as switch closures or axis movements
with no 'compound' function.

Paul