PDA

View Full Version : My views on MS Flight

OBIO
March 4th, 2012, 13:53
I have about 30 minutes of run time in MS Flight. My views/opinions so far:

1: Runs very smooth....but then again I have a system that will handle FSX like it is nothing more than a warm, half-eaten jelly bean.

2. The Icon A5 is NICE......wish we had one of equal quality for FS9/FSX.

3. The Stearman is nice.....but I prefer Dave Eckart's Stearman better....maybe it's all the available skins,'

4. Hawaii, at least the ONE island I have seen in MS Flight, looks pretty nice....really nice.

5. The autogen trees are amazing....individually that is. The detail and sharpness of the individual trees is a huge improvement over anything in FS9/FSX......but the way they are placed in the scenery looks nothing like real world forests. The trees are too uniform in shape and size and placed in long straight rows, like a tree farm.

6. The water....it's pretty darn good.

7. The clouds I have seen thus far....SUCK worse than stock CFS2 clouds....and I never thought that that would be possible.

8. Ground textures....in places are very much improved over FS9/FSX and look amazing. In other places, standard MS quality ground textures.

9. Flight Dyanamics, to me, feel arcade like. I don't like the way the planes handle, respond....but this is based on just the Icon A5 and the Stearman.....the only two planes that I have for Flight....the only two planes that I will ever have for Flight.

Overall, my impressions of MS Flight are that it is a pretty GAME that will be a huge FAILURE for Microsoft. Flight sim enthusiasts will find Flight to be far inferior to FS9 and FSX and will soon dump Flight to save space for more FS9/FSX files. Gamer will find Flight to be boring and lacking in challenge and will dump it and return to Zombie Bashers 3, Battlefield 3, or whatever the current shooter/war game is at the moment. The price points for the add-ons/expansions for Flight is just too high to be a real attraction to the game. $20 to get the rest of Hawaii and one plane? $20 to get the Maule. Way too pricey. For $20, a real flight simmer can buy a Carenado package such as the Cessna 185F Bush Plane or the Aerosoft Super Cub (which is actually only $8.51....making it one heck of a deal) and fly those planes all over the world with a far greater selection of variants and paint schemes. Gamers see $20 as a pizza or bag of pot and will be very unlikely to spend that kind of money on a Flight plane that can't kill zombies or bring the Kardalopian empire to its knees.

I downloaded Flight, tried it, found it lacking in many many areas...and will now erase it from my hard drive and my memory (as in my brain memory, not just my system memory).

OBIO

Tako_Kichi
March 4th, 2012, 14:08
2. The Icon A5 is NICE......wish we had one of equal quality for FS9/FSX.
There is one for FSX....whether you consider it to be of equal quality depends I guess.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=icon+a5&categoryId=54

Roger
March 4th, 2012, 14:29
Flight has massive possibilities, dependant on how MicroSoft read the release comments from non-beta testers. What we are seeing now is better by a long way then a vanilla Fs9 and better than a vanilla FsX (remember all those mountain deserts???). It does however need to be run on a 64 bit OS so that all the extra ram can be utilised: even with the 3 gig switch it isn't enough on a 32 bit system, because all the sliders need to be maximised to fully enjoy Flight.
The weather selection needs to be much more accessible than at present but I wouldn't be surprised if MS didn't improve it fairly soon. The Stearman is great in my opinion: my only gripe is that to access the additional liveries requires "playing the game" to achieve access to them. Try it inverted for a few seconds: the oil pressure drops and the engine starts to sputter out. This is an accurate depiction of the engine specification.

Javis
March 4th, 2012, 17:26
The Stearman is great in my opinion: my only gripe is that to access the additional liveries requires "playing the game" to achieve access to them.

Well, that's the whole point of Flight, Roger, "Playing the Game" , isn't it... If you approach Flight as you are accustomed to approach FSX ( we do a lot of approaching, don't we... ) and certainly with the free edition only, i.e. just hop in one of two default planes and fly around a bit on your own, you'll be missing ALL THE FUN Flight can give you. It's starting to look like a lot of people just unwrap the fancy wrapping paper from the free MS Flight present, " Hmmm.... nice box... " and than fail to look what's inside the box..

I'm sure you'll find 'Playing the game' a most rewarding experience including some of the most realistic virtual VFR flying experiences you've ever had. You won't even notice that suddenly all of the beautiful additional Stearman liveries have become available to you... :cool:

For anyone interested, here's the whole line-up :

60518 60519 60520 60521

60522 60523 60524 60525

'Play the game' , Roger, you won't regret it and neither these lovely Stearman liveries. Besides what else can you do with a name like that.. :cool:

Cheers,
Jan

DaveKDEN
March 4th, 2012, 18:06
The more I fly it, the more I like it!

Meshman
March 4th, 2012, 18:18
Well, that's the whole point of Flight, Roger, "Playing the Game" , isn't it...

I proudly admit to being an Aerocache-aholic. Primarily because I've done some design work around Hawai'i, want to move there when I win the Lottery and ....

Going through some of the "GAME" aspects gets you things like paints unlocking and more. Tinker around enough doing missions or Aerocache hunts or challenges and the check into Windows Live and slowly watch as the points start getting credited to your account. Points that help pay for the next batch of DLC, which rumor has it may be somewhere up in Alaska? :ernae:

Standard disclaimer from being on the beta prior to release: The Alaska speculation comes from a thread at Avsim, not in any way, shape or form from anywhere else.

Gibbage
March 4th, 2012, 18:28
Standard disclaimer from being on the beta prior to release: The Alaska speculation comes from a thread at Avsim, not in any way, shape or form from anywhere else.

The Alaska speculation comes from Webisode 6, at :58 it shows an airport that is NOT in Hawaii. That airport was positivly ID'ed at Avsim. Speculation says its an easter egg.

CWOJackson
March 4th, 2012, 18:30
I proudly admit to being an Aerocache-aholic. Primarily because I've done some design work around Hawai'i, want to move there when I win the Lottery and ....

Going through some of the "GAME" aspects gets you things like paints unlocking and more. Tinker around enough doing missions or Aerocache hunts or challenges and the check into Windows Live and slowly watch as the points start getting credited to your account. Points that help pay for the next batch of DLC, which rumor has it may be somewhere up in Alaska? :ernae:

Alaska would be nice, particularly if done as well as Hawaii.

robert41
March 4th, 2012, 19:56
Well this whole Flight thing is looking like what happened when FSX came out. Kinda split some of us between the two.

I stayed entirely with FS9 because FSX did not look like it had anything more than what I have. Then came Accusim. I wanted FSX.

The same goes for Flight. I have flown the free version for five days now, and I will see what comes next.

Mikrco
March 4th, 2012, 21:52
I have about 30 minutes of run time in MS Flight. My views/opinions so far:

Gibbage
March 4th, 2012, 22:06
One thing I have noticed. Real life pilots call Flight a "sim" and hard core simmers are calling Flight a "game". Sorry, im going to stick withthe pilots on this one.

Javis
March 5th, 2012, 03:21
One thing I have noticed. Real life pilots call Flight a "sim" and hard core simmers are calling Flight a "game". Sorry, im going to stick withthe pilots on this one.

Too much fun for it to be a sim (only)..

Isn't it true that MS has produced/published some good games ? I really wouldn't know.. What i do know is that MS has produced/published the best flightsim for a decade or two.. Maybe MS has finally found a good symbiose between the two ? A 'flightsym' , as it were ?... :)

Gibbage
March 5th, 2012, 17:58
Halo, and Forza are great series, but thats for the Xbox. In the past, MS made more games, but they are more of a publisher now.