PDA

View Full Version : The King is Dead Long Live the King

txnetcop
December 22nd, 2008, 04:27
Yep we have a new king of hill, the Nividia GTX295. TechCorp confirms it's the fastest card out there right now, but it also states that the drivers are on the weak side. Here is a PCSTATS review. Who didn't know that ATI and Nvidia would trade off again the top spot? I wish they would quit making new cards and let the drivers catch up. However the price is right for this baby...as low as $450 on pricewatch.com.

http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=72830
Ted

MCDesigns
December 22nd, 2008, 05:04
I love posts like this, LOL

I agree Ted on the drivers, especially when it comes to FSX

kilo delta
December 22nd, 2008, 09:47
Was only a matter of time before Nvidia fought back to retain their top spot. I'll think that i'll be staying with Nvidia for my next build unless ATi can pull something out of their hat :costumes:

Bjoern
December 22nd, 2008, 11:28
Well, it's gonna be a while longer till ATI can build a single-chip card running face-to-face with NVidia's counterpart.

The day ATI pulls of another big bang like the 9700 series back in 2002, I'll convert back 'though.

txnetcop
December 23rd, 2008, 04:53
Unfortunately faster does no longer mean better. The drivers are not catching up with the power these cards put out. I will stick with my ATI 4800 series as for Nividia more than a GTX280 is overkill for the present games I have seen. MSTS runs great on what I have and that is a graphics monster. We get too hung up on frame rates and not enough on graphics quality.
Ted

Bjoern
December 23rd, 2008, 10:53
Well, it's all in the reserves.

Back when my G80 was the chipset of chipsets (2006), there was hardly a game out which utilized the offered power. Now all current games are maxing it out fairly well, so if I want AA and AF in Fallout 3, a new graphics card would be the way to go. A GTX260 or 280 something like that...

The momentarily avaiable 180 series drivers are okay in terms of performance and quality, but way more instable than a F-117. :isadizzy: