PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Twister Question

falcon409
March 3rd, 2012, 21:33
Has anyone who is flying this airplane found a fix for the high RPM's at idle? The airplane simply won't slow down even with flaps, gears and idle throttle. . . .40 to 50 kts is about it. I fly it, but I cut the engine over the numbers so that I can get it stopped and off the rwy.:salute:

MarkH
March 4th, 2012, 01:16
Has anyone who is flying this airplane found a fix for the high RPM's at idle? The airplane simply won't slow down even with flaps, gears and idle throttle. . . .40 to 50 kts is about it. I fly it, but I cut the engine over the numbers so that I can get it stopped and off the rwy.:salute:

I don't have the aircraft, but as it's evidently a turboprop can you set ground idle for the approach? This helps for FSD's Turbine Toucan, which otherwise won't come down.

Ferry_vO
March 4th, 2012, 01:54
IMHO the static thrust is set way too high for this aircraft; I've changed mine so it behaves a lot better and doesn't run away after starting ther engine.

In the aircraft.cfg change:

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain = 0.100 //Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area = 1.0 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area
rated_N2_rpm = 33000 //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust = 70 //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level

to

static_thrust = 7

Feels much better to me!

Dave Torkington
March 4th, 2012, 02:59

Hi Falcon,

Flying the Turbine Twister reminded me of my early days of sim training in the FS9 Tucano made by Brian Franklin [SimShed]. Both have a comparitavely long engine RPM 'spool up' or 'lag' as the power builds up / falls off [not very good technical terms so forgive me]. However, the comparison stops there in my opinion... The TT is far more slippier [here we go technical again] on finals - not surprising of course.

Can I ask, what's she idling at on the ground for you? I'm sat on the active at Duxford getting approx. 2800RPM. At this rate I get no 'creeping' with brakes off at all...

To slow her down rapidly on short finals, I use a very unladylike 'crabbing' manouver that I'm sure we've all seen from the high performance light at airshows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z9PifiojjY

Regards, Dave :salute:

flaminghotsauce
March 4th, 2012, 05:52
That was an AMAZING approach to land on that youtube vid! Wild!