PDA

View Full Version : Wow....

Barfly
March 1st, 2012, 17:30
Has anyone tried the landing challenges? The RV7 landing challenge (#5 I think..) with the ILS down to minimums was very realistic... the weather was dramatically better than FSX - very dense cloud with realistic visibility. I have REX in FSX and FS9 and it isn't even close to this... maybe we have an instrument training winner here! Really it's worth exploring the content in this early version of Flight before giving up on it :salute:

Hand flying the RV on instruments was tough. Hard to trim out if you don't know good pitch and power settings for an approach! And the 'peanut gauges' are a bit small - it would be nice to click on an instrument and have a larger, more readable pop up. Second pic shows no ceiling and maybe 400 RVR on landing.

Gibbage
March 1st, 2012, 17:51
I LOVE the landing challanges. Stearman #4 and #5 are HARD. Havent tried the Vans yet, but that thing is a handfull without crosswind or visibility problems. Sometimes finding the runway is more difficult then landing on it.

bstolle
March 1st, 2012, 21:13
IF MS is going to allow 3rd party developers to build and sell their planes this will be great, as FLIGHT is already better than FSX in the flight dynamics, sounds and looks area.

Turbulence also is much more realistic, being in the middle between too weak FSX and the way overdone x-plane.

Dino Cattaneo
March 2nd, 2012, 00:02
Ok, I surrender...after seeing this I think I will buy the Vans... Microsoft you've got my money once again. :-(

Gibbage
March 2nd, 2012, 01:31
IF MS is going to allow 3rd party developers to build and sell their planes this will be great, as FLIGHT is already better than FSX in the flight dynamics, sounds and looks area.

Turbulence also is much more realistic, being in the middle between too weak FSX and the way overdone x-plane.

Sadly there plans for 3rd party is currently unknown. The most recent bit of news is from an interview that said that MS plans to go at it alone for at least a year, then maybe open things up once demand out-paces there own dev team. Sad. I hope Flight is a big hit, and demand goes WAY past there team quickly as I really want to get the KCFS Seabee into Flight. It just fits in so well!!!

Read the interview here.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/interview-joshua-howard-microsoft-flight/091961

Javis
March 2nd, 2012, 17:08
Very nice instrument training challenge too in the RV-6 with the Mobile Observatory mission. Fly an astronomer through and above the overcast at 15K feet at night so she can watch ' the biggest astronomical event of all time' . ( pity i didn't get to see it myself or maybe missed it )

AFAIK the real RV-6 comes in 150, 160 and 180 HP versions, right ? I can't find anything about the engine type in the Flight RV-6A info (typical..) but it says Service Ceiling: 5806m (18.579 feet). So i guess we must have 180HP here. Real thing is Gross Weight SC 19.700 feet but if i hadn't been clever enough to dump most of the fuel before take-off i doubt if i could've reached the 15.000 feet at all... Good engine management got me there though.. :)

Very nice visual imagery of clouds whizzing by the canopy as i climbed thru the murk. Have to say much better than with FSX...

Try it, good fun !

cheers,
jan ( also known as ButteryBow938.... pfffrrtt )

Dain Arns
March 3rd, 2012, 11:01
Very nice instrument training challenge too in the RV-6 with the Mobile Observatory mission. Fly an astronomer through and above the overcast at 15K feet at night so she can watch ' the biggest astronomical event of all time' . ( pity i didn't get to see it myself or maybe missed it )

You have to look straight up, and you can see a comet breaking apart.
You can always re-do any mission, I think you just don't get experience points for it.

Javis
March 3rd, 2012, 17:06
You have to look straight up, and you can see a comet breaking apart.
You can always re-do any mission, I think you just don't get experience points for it.

Ok!

I was still climbing thru the top of the deck, trying to keep the RV-6 straight, when i heard the astronomer cry out in ecstacy. Then i looked up into the blue but obviously too late... Dang ! :173go1: :d

Got more experience with the RV-6 now, even begin to like it while it certainly is not my fav type of aircraft, will certainly have another go. Thanks for the tip, Dain ! :salute:

cheers,
jan

Mikrco
March 4th, 2012, 04:42
This is a good mission.

Javis
March 4th, 2012, 06:18
Well done, Mikrco ! :applause:

Did you use Return to Checkpoint to snap it ?.... I realized later i could've done that but totally forgat about it. The immersion factor is quite high during some of these missions... :cool:

cheers,
jan

Javis
March 4th, 2012, 07:01
Found the 'V' Key and where Flight stores the shapshots. This is from a first attempt at Maule Landing Challenge 2 ( Haiku airstrip ). Didn't make it... That's why no landing shots... Sjeeezzz, one begins to wonder if Flight really is ment to be played by kids... They'll need a hell of a lot of FS9/FSX experience... :)

The weather, clouds, fog is totally amazing. Notice the scratches on the windshield's perspex. Pretty Lotus like, huh.... Maybe he's on the team...

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Flight/maule1.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Flight/maule2.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Flight/maule4.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Flight/maule5.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Flight/maule6.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Flight/maule7.jpg

cheers,
jan

Panther_99FS
March 4th, 2012, 08:45
Alright Javis,
Those are some stunning screenies! :jump:

Mikrco
March 4th, 2012, 10:23
Well done, Mikrco ! :applause:

Did you use Return to Checkpoint to snap it ?.... I realized later i could've done that but totally forgat about it. The immersion factor is quite high during some of these missions... :cool:

cheers,
jan

No, actually got it on the first run-but admittedly reading the posts here got me ready to look up-I went to spot view after breaking out on top and used the right mouse button to go to pan and there it was. Just hit the V key an viola.

Javis
March 4th, 2012, 17:57
Alright Javis,
Those are some stunning screenies! :jump:

Thanks, Mr.P ! And these don't even do half justice of what it looks like in the game of course. I have always taken for granted that we'd probabely never get to experience a realistic rendition of what it's like to fly through clouds, playing our various flightsims... I have to come back on that now... It is quite amazing !

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
March 4th, 2012, 18:04
No, actually got it on the first run-but admittedly reading the posts here got me ready to look up-I went to spot view after breaking out on top and used the right mouse button to go to pan and there it was. Just hit the V key an viola.

Well, my cap is off to you, Mikrco ! :applause:

I was having a hard time already to keep that RV-6 from stalling ! Let alone changing to spot view, look for the comet and hit 'V' key... I'll get it some time, i'm sure. :)

cheers,
jan

Gibbage
March 4th, 2012, 22:10
Notice the scratches on the windshield's perspex. Pretty Lotus like, huh.... Maybe he's on the team...

cheers,
jan

Nope. Wasent him. :icon_lol: :kilroy:

Javis
March 5th, 2012, 03:27
Nope. Wasent him. :icon_lol: :kilroy:

I bet it was certainly inspired by his work.

If you know that it wasn't him, you must know who it was, right ?... So, who was it ??.. :rolleyes: ( didn't i see your name passing by on the credit list ??....:rolleyes: )