PDA

View Full Version : MS Flight is released !!

Francois
February 28th, 2012, 11:38
Come and get it folks

http://marketplace.xbox.com/nl-NL/Product/Microsoft-Flight/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8044d5308d2 :applause::applause:

Gibbage
February 28th, 2012, 11:48
Yep. Flight is released in the UK a little early. They can download it from this link.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Microsoft-Flight/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8044d5308d2?purchase=1&purchaseid=66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8044d5308d2

TuFun
February 28th, 2012, 19:25
If any one is interested US download...

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Microsoft-Flight/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8044d5308d2

robert41
February 28th, 2012, 19:59
Ok. Got it. Installed it. Have the live account.
First impressions are so-so. Still getting used to it.
The Icon and Stearman flight models are very basic. Simple to fly.
The scenery looks a bit cartoonish form the air, but not too bad, better on the ground.
The water is really good. Much better than FSX.

Gibbage
February 28th, 2012, 22:00
The Stearman and Icon are simple aircraft by there nature, so they should be simple to fly. The RV-6 and Maule are MUCH more complex. Its a question of if its worth 15-20$ to find out if its complex enough for your liking. Skip the P-51. Thats the best advice I can give. Pass it on.

hairyspin
February 28th, 2012, 22:04
If MS release an SDK for this, would someone be good enough to let us all know? Thank you, and I'll look at it then.

YoYo
February 28th, 2012, 22:48
If MS release an SDK for this, would someone be good enough to let us all know? Thank you, and I'll look at it then.
No They dont.

Francois
February 28th, 2012, 23:11

--:kilroy:--

Gibbage
February 28th, 2012, 23:33
Sadly there is no released SDK, and I have a feeling there wont be at least for some time.

wombat666
February 29th, 2012, 00:20
--:kilroy:--

:applause::applause::applause:

Bruce Thompson
February 29th, 2012, 02:56
Downloaded Flight last night, set it up with all my controls X52, Yoke and Pedals etc,
completed the two missions and then flew free flight for about one hour around the Island in the A5 and the Stearman.

I think the graphics are poor compared to what has been acheived in FSX, spray effect when landing on water is very good
but overall the water is too reflective and bright. The land looks as stated by someone else to be a bit cartoonish!!! and trees
in the distance are a bit shimmery, not at all like I thought it would be.

This is not a Simulation! not the ultimate we were led to believe, it's only yet another money spinning Game for Microsoft.

I now have that same old bad taste in my mouth that you get when you have been led up the garden path yet again by you know who,
only to find it's full of weeds and Bull S**t as alwaysl !!!!

It has now been removed from my computer and it will not be returned, I can see years of enjoyment ahead with FSX and the work acheived by the
devs in the last twelve months alone has been amazing , the graphics are now superb and well worth the money we pay.

Francois
February 29th, 2012, 03:42
I'm apparently not allowed anymore to write 'told you so'.

Oops... now look what I've done ! :kilroy:

skyhawka4m
February 29th, 2012, 04:53
I'm apparently not allowed anymore to write 'told you so'.

Oops... now look what I've done ! :kilroy:

I've been saying it all along too.....I've even been chastized about my unkind words.......its a game and thats all it is. If I want a game/sim I'll go with DCS.

Cratermaker
February 29th, 2012, 04:59
I played it all of 15 minutes this morning. Not enough to give it a fair shake. I'll mess around with it some more tonight.

Francois
February 29th, 2012, 06:55
Now DCS.... there's something else..... at least their combatsims are complex enough to keep one busy for quite some time !

Javis
February 29th, 2012, 08:49
Nice Game !! Always wanted to learn how to fly and now i finally can. What a great idea! Thanks MS !! :applause: :icon_lol:

Yep, it's a game alright and of course it's not free... It's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny ( now who said that again... ) MS has never been known for catching flies, have they . I bought the game for 50 bucks, all Hawaii Islands, Van's RV-6A, Maule M-7 included, next to the Icon A-5 and Stearman.

As it's a game, nuthing to do with FSX or anything like that, i play it as a game and as such have quite a lotta fun with it. Much more than with AeroflyFS f.i., which is also a game and costs more. Overall MSFlight looks good, feels good, aircraft models look quite nice, VC's look superb even and are clickable something which cannot be said with most other 'flying games' .

Scenery looks pretty nice too and no worries about fps for once. Setting up Hawaii Islands as the main playground they could have, no, should have provided much better looking water. This looks nothing more than a bubbly piece of blue plastic.

The Activities are very challenging and fun. If not for the rediculous way of getting a Windows Life Game account ( i have a Windows Life account but that seemed not good enough.... :banghead: ) which cost me an hour of aggrevation and about to throw the towel into the ring, i don't have much to complain about really. I mean, i've got FSX with all bells ringing happily to go flightsimming, haven't i.

If these Flight dev boys might be able to throw in a Beaver or Otter ( radial please, don't want no stinking turbine ) or even a DC-3 and some other areas to fly in i could be having fun with this for a long time to come.

My 50 bucks only, of course. :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
Jan

Wing_Z
February 29th, 2012, 10:32
I am chuckling out loud as I read about MS Flight in all the forums.

What I do is replace the word "Flight" with "FSX", and the word "FSX" with "FS2004", in the right context of course.

Now FSX is not the NEW software that you can't be seen without!
It is 5 YEARS OLD

And it will have to compete with its 8-year-old sibling, which is just getting better and better with the years.
And runs, smooth as butter, on a machine that can cost maybe half of the FSX beast!
And has a zillion addons, mostly free, that probably will never be caught up with.

I love my FS9.5 installation, and might or might not download the free upstart, makes no difference to my flightsim world.

And I am chuckling, out loud...

Francois
February 29th, 2012, 10:42
Too funny Jan. Gosh, I wish I had time to play....... oh wait.. I'm on my way out to our yearly ski vacation ! :engel016:

Crusader
February 29th, 2012, 11:30
So far , just have the basic install . For those of you that have any addons , a couple of questions . Are there any other changes other than the additional Islands and the more complicated AC ? I know just flying the Stearman around the Big Island is fun and the ground textures are very good but I just can't get over the fact there are no planes parked at the gates(Hilo) and I didn't see any GA(Static) parked at a couple of the smaller fields and diffinately no AI in the air . Hard to get use to that . Love FSX and still have FS9 with CalClassics AI and tons of WWll fields and(especially Europe) that Ian , Huub and others have done.
I will certainly keep MS Flight as I am a huge Hawaii fan . FSX is excellent with MegaScenery X Hawaii and alot of photo scenery and airports made for the Hawaii Islands . I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm close to adding the other Islands to flights and maybe the Maule because in my opinion Flight's terrain and textures are excellent and it's really nice to be able to crank everything to MAX on my Q9560 OC'd to 3.6 and a 560ti 1 gig card and get good fps's .

Bottom line : Have fun ! If you don't like it , get rid of it . It costs you nothing .

Rich

Prowler1111
February 29th, 2012, 13:05
AFAIK the only AI you´re going to see it´s the 16 (no more) other Fligth´sters online in windows live multiplayer server, as the multiplayer server( or code in the game) wont allow more than 16 souls EACH TIME.
3rd party devs? non existent in this game, freeware nor payware, unless of course you´re talking about the MS boys, who most definitely,are not freeware.
I would like to post, what a serious gamer told me TODAY (and he even works in the gaming industry):

it's a simulator alright
it's just boring
to paraphrase homer simpson:
bo-ring

And he is the "target market" under who ever it was, "vision"..

Best regards

Prowler

bobmay
February 29th, 2012, 14:20
Played the basic game for an hour today today <yawn> I've been spoiled by FSX I guess. Who on earth is going to stick with this and lay out money in the hope that it's going to get better ?

I shall go back to it out of curiosity when I have nothing better to do. If anyone finds out how to raise the undercarriage on the Icon please let me know.

Bob.

Panther_99FS
February 29th, 2012, 15:18
Time will tell.
I distinctly remember the huge amount of FS2004 "naysayers" to FSX (when it was first released) & now look where FSX is at :mixedsmi:

Cratermaker
February 29th, 2012, 15:22
If anyone finds out how to raise the undercarriage on the Icon please let me know.

Bob.
The red "B" button on your xbox controller! :engel016:

Javis
February 29th, 2012, 16:58
it's a simulator alright

Not true. It's a gamulator, it won't go any further than that.

it's just boring

Not true. Watching your FSX 737NGX do all the flying from KJFK to KLAX at FL350, now that's boring. But that's a simulator alright.

This old geezer, sitting next to you, teaches you to fly his homebuild RV-6 and has you flying underneath a bridge and following a ravine at 200 feet at your first try already. If you manage to survive you'll be asked to take up a photographer to shoot pics of the smaller airstrips around Oahu and land on some of the almost impossible ones. I wouldn't call that bo-ring at all. The audio during these activities is actually very well done. Makes up for the lack of ATC and AI pretty much i'd say.

cheers,
jan

Javis
February 29th, 2012, 17:02
The red "B" button on your xbox controller! :engel016:

:jump:

@ Bob : just press 'G' on your keyboard. Works for me.

cheers,
jan

Javis
February 29th, 2012, 17:11
Too funny Jan. Gosh, I wish I had time to play....... oh wait.. I'm on my way out to our yearly ski vacation ! :engel016:

Have fun with that, Francois, but stay on the track you hear ! You know what can happen if you don't...

MS FLight is a good flying game, i'm sure you're going to love the RV-6 and Maule !

Groeten,
jan

Javis
February 29th, 2012, 17:31
Played the basic game for an hour today today <yawn> I've been spoiled by FSX I guess. Who on earth is going to stick with this and lay out money in the hope that it's going to get better ?

You're not going get any fun out of the free basic game, Bob. You didn't get FSX for nothing either, did you. Far from it even if you think about all the bells and whistles you had to buy to get the best out of it. MS Flight has nothing much to do with FSX, two very different animals, doesn't mean that they can live happily together. If you're willing to spend some money on it, like you'd do for any ol' game, you can get a lotta fun out of it. If you happen to like games in the first place of course.

If anyone finds out how to raise the undercarriage on the Icon please let me know.

Just press 'G' and up they'll go. ( Flight does show its origin, no doubt... :cool: )

Edit : or flip the switch on the mid pedestal ( sorry, not much time in the Icon yet. Just rescued a lost kayaker and found the switch)

cheers,
jan

Javis
February 29th, 2012, 18:19
Hey, over at Avsim at the mo : FS9 Forum (7 viewing), FSX Forum (33 viewing), MS Flight forum (160 viewing)..... :costum:

cheers,
jan

Gibbage
February 29th, 2012, 18:28
Well Flight IS the "new kid in town". We will see how well that holds.

magoo
February 29th, 2012, 21:36
Has anybody had a look at the file structure? Is it at all familiar, or something like Rise of Flight, or early pre-mod IL-2? (I've read manual hacking of CFG files already....how does the folder arrangment look?)

Barfly
February 29th, 2012, 22:10
Doesn't look like the file structure is anything to mess with; almost all of the game is located in one .pak file... Initial impression of 'the game' is it is an extremely polished product, maybe not very appealing to those used to the FSX experience, but the potential feels enormous. The simplified FM represented in the initial part of the game subjectively feels more fluid and complex than in previous series FSX, 9 etc. Time will tell...

Gibbage
February 29th, 2012, 22:39
simplified FM

Hu? The Stearman and Icon are simple aircraft, so if your comment is about them feeling simple, then thats an accurate FM. The Vans and Maule are ANYTHING BUT SIMPLE!!!! You take off heavy in a Maule, and you will WISH you dropped a few gallons before flight.

Roger
February 29th, 2012, 22:52
Has anybody had a look at the file structure? Is it at all familiar, or something like Rise of Flight, or early pre-mod IL-2? (I've read manual hacking of CFG files already....how does the folder arrangment look?)

The usual folder is there in the same sub folder as the one containing the FsX.cfg.

RCAF_Gunner
February 29th, 2012, 23:20
Is there a way to play without logging into Live first? It let me play once after the install without being logged in but now it seems I have to login.

paiken
March 1st, 2012, 08:47
Is there a way to play without logging into Live first? It let me play once after the install without being logged in but now it seems I have to login.
On one of the opening screens is an option called "Live". You can set your log-in information there (i.e. you can turn off automatic login, change your gamertag and profile info, etc.) You should also read the manual (available at the Flight homepage) where there is more info on settings and gameplay.

Barfly
March 1st, 2012, 10:53
@Gibbage: I don't disagree with anything you said, just posted after 'knocking back a few' so may not have been too clear :) I'll check out the Maule and Vans.

RCAF_Gunner
March 1st, 2012, 23:38
Well... I downloaded the manual. It says the same thing as the online help:

"Yes, you can play Microsoft Flight offline. Once you download the game, you no longer need an Internet connection to play. Simply start the game and skip the sign-in process."

but I see no option to skip the sign-in process. I get a "Click any key to continue" prompt after launching flight and then the Live / Gamertag login comes up. I don't see any key or button to skip that and if I try not entering my password it goes no where. Very frustrating given the manual says it should be possible... has anyone else tried it / figured it out?

On one of the opening screens is an option called "Live". You can set your log-in information there (i.e. you can turn off automatic login, change your gamertag and profile info, etc.) You should also read the manual (available at the Flight homepage) where there is more info on settings and gameplay.

bstolle
March 1st, 2012, 23:39
Apart from the almost missing torque the flight model seems to be improved quite noticabl over FSX.
Ground handling and turbulence is more realistic as well.
Initially it looks like FLIGHT is exactly in the middle between the slighty too stable FSX and the rediculously paper airplane like x-plane

Barfly
March 2nd, 2012, 08:58
Agree with Bernt above - where's the torque, lol. Other than that, overall a great improvement.

Cazzie
March 7th, 2012, 16:11
D/L'd it, have a LIVE acct., got this message:

Oh well, back to FS9 and FSX. Duped, uninstalled.

Caz

italoc
March 8th, 2012, 08:29
D/L'd it, have a LIVE acct., got this message:

Oh well, back to FS9 and FSX. Duped, uninstalled.

Caz

I have same situation !!!
Too bad ..... MSFlight stinks.
Back to FSX with joy !!!
Italo

Landman
March 8th, 2012, 13:56
If all the files and folders are in one big file does this mean you can't edit the aircraft in any way? Can't make your own or alter an existing repaint? Can't edit flight dynamics in aircraft.cfg file (or flight's equivalent thereof)? Can't fiddle with the panel.cfg file and swap out some gauges and add your own popup panel for example adding VOR and ADF gauges to the stearman so you can navigate it with radio navaids? Yes many people do add these gauges to their restored aircraft in the real world. Is it possible or are we stuck with exactly what they give us? That will be the deal maker or breaker for me and I am sure many other people. That would be taking away a major part of what this hobby is about. If we can't edit the aircraft and scenery now they need to make a program that we can buy to do so. Sometimes I like to go out in the middle of nowhere in the desert and make my own airfield from scratch. They should give us this capability if they want to retain some of their faithful (so far) followers.

bushpilot
March 20th, 2012, 06:16
Tried this today, and to my surprise it was actually fun. Graphically not so advanced as I was hoping it to be, it's like FSX refurbished. Rock/cliff textures were actually really nice compared to FSX. I'm not sure why there is so much hating, I know it's gameish, but I haven't seen so much bashing on any other flying games before. Might be interesting to see where this goes in the future...