PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft FLIGHT releases tomorrow-Any Takers?

papab
February 28th, 2012, 07:01
I will download-Looking forward to it...
Rick

EDIT: Over at the AVSIM forum they posted some release images of FLIGHT:
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/363929-release-images/ (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/363929-release-images/)

Rick

bstolle
February 28th, 2012, 07:05
deleted x-plane 10 and Aerofly FS already......

EMatheson
February 28th, 2012, 07:06
likewise. IF it runs as advertised on most everybodys machine, well, then I would love to try it. Hopefully it will have better performance than FSX does on my rig! AND - if we all support it by trying it, then there is a greater chance MS will do something with it!

Killbilly
February 28th, 2012, 07:07
Meh. I'm pretty happy with FSX, actually. I have an awful lot of OrbX scenery and quality aircraft addons that satisfy my simming needs just fine. I may someday take the plunge, but I'm in the "wait-and-see" camp now.

big-mike
February 28th, 2012, 07:07
Will have a look at it--it`s free.
But i am pretty sure that i will not throw any money in it.
Love my FSX!
Michael

dvj
February 28th, 2012, 07:18
Can't wait to try it. I'm testing a new PC. HP Phoenix, Intel Core i7-3960X OC'd to 4.20 GHz, 16GB memory, Nvidia GTX 580, 300GB SSD. Should be fun. Free is good, but it looks like we will have to pay for every little add-on from MS.

Daube
February 28th, 2012, 07:34
I won't, for the following excellent reasons:
- I know already everything that needs to be known about this product, thanks to what we learned during the beta.
- the default area, one Hawaiian island, is totally uninteresting.
- the default planes are totally uninteresting, and I already have a nice Icon A5 and all the bi-planes that I need in FSX, and I can fly them anywhere.
- the feaures in Flight are totally uninteresting, excepted the new shadow system. I can live without this.

As a consequence, even if it's free, I fail to see why I should waste any HD space for Flight. I'd better PAY to get XPlane 10. At least, that one would bring something to the SIMMERS.

fsafranek
February 28th, 2012, 07:37
I've got other things planned for tomorrow -- the date only comes around once every four years afterall.
But I'll be checking the forums for comments of the released version.
:ernae:

Felixthreeone
February 28th, 2012, 07:52
No. Not downloading it. But, I will be following the threads to see what the masses think of the new game.

LCBORDEN
February 28th, 2012, 08:21
I will not be adding it to my computer. I am not thrilled with what I have read and seen so far. Still I will follow the forums to read views and opinions of my trusted fellow simmers. With the long history of MicroSoft products I view them as more of an "Evil Empire" than my simming buddy. So a wait and see stance, with increased effort to stockpile food and survival equipment for when the "Evil Empire" strikes....

Ol' Jarhead:wavey:

Crusader
February 28th, 2012, 08:24
I will download-Looking forward to it...
Rick

Me too Rick . I will probably add the rest of the Hawaiian Islands as well as I spend quite a bit of time in that area in FSX . The ground textures alone is worth the investment in my humble opinion .
Really looking forward to it .

Rich

Dave Torkington
February 28th, 2012, 08:28
No. Not downloading it. But, I will be following the threads to see what the masses think of the new game.

Same here Matt. Personally I'm having too much fun with the Aerofly FS F-18 in the Swiss valleys and mountains... I'm sure Hawaii will keep many entertained though, but for me it was :sleep:

pilottj
February 28th, 2012, 08:43
Not for me, I have to many great FSX addons. Makes you what percentage of owners of FSX have never even heard of adding aircraft and scenery to it. I would imagine that crowd will be your prime MS Flight audience.

Alan_A
February 28th, 2012, 09:15
I'll follow the online reports. Might check it out later if they add TrackIR support (hard to live without that once you get used to it). A helo would be nice too, but only if it's a decent one. The good news is that it's painless -as in, free - to go have a look. But I don't feel like I'm exactly dying for it - it'll take some serious positive reviews from people I trust and some added features to get me to commit to it.

skyhawka4m
February 28th, 2012, 09:43
Nope......I'll be passing on this as I have with AEROFLY and Xplane. I have way too much invested in FSX now and frankly in the webisode #7 where the dev's say something to the effect "you won't need a joystick, just a mouse and go"......that turned me right off......completely now.

Ferry_vO
February 28th, 2012, 09:43
Will definitely try the release version after playing with the beta for a while. With all aids off it works OK as a sim, and the Stearman is pretty well done. Performance wise it runs circles around FsX too with an average of 60 fps where FsX struggles to keep up 25. Of course Flight doesn't have as large a world or any AI traffic, but still the difference is quite amazing. Don't think I'll be spending any money on it though as I've spent way too much on FsX already! ;)
Flight is not FSXI, but it is a fun flying game with potential for more.

But please try for yourselves tomorrow; it's free anyway so the worst that could happen is that you loose a few hours!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Flight_24.jpg

Ferry_vO
February 28th, 2012, 09:45
where the dev's say something to the effect "you won't need a joystick, just a mouse and go"......that turned me right off......completely now.

I can drive most of my racing sims with the keyboard if I have too, but it's more fun with a wheel. Flight is about the same.

Meshman
February 28th, 2012, 09:53
Yes, I'll grab the release version. I might have more to say once it's released...

Daube
February 28th, 2012, 10:10
Excellent summary. I definitely agree with you.
I'll also keep a close eye on Flight, just to keep informed about it.

Not for me, I have to many great FSX addons. Makes you what percentage of owners of FSX have never even heard of adding aircraft and scenery to it. I would imagine that crowd will be your prime MS Flight audience.
Here however, I have to disagree.
The amount of money spent into a sim is not a good reason to stick with it. With such a philosophy, a simmer who bought a lot of VFR/bush scenery addons and warbirds for FS9 could never enjoy the OrbX sceneries and the Accusim planes in FSX, which is total nonsense.

I have spent a lot of money (well, not as much as some people, but quite a lot for me) in FSX, and if XPlane10 starts to get the kind of realistic addons that I like, then I'll start spending money on that sim. I won't stay with a sim knowing that another sim has more realistic and enjoyable addons.

In the case of Flight, I know that it will not have any addon that could be more realistic and enjoyable than current FSX addons, so I will not switch to that sim. Not until this situation changes.

in the webisode #7 where the dev's say something to the effect "you won't need a joystick, just a mouse and go"......that turned me right off......completely now.
So you won't fly FSX either then ? ;)

gradyhappyg
February 28th, 2012, 10:18
It's free so I will give it a shot depending on the size of the download.
But I think I will wait till at least the weekend maybe later.

Lionheart
February 28th, 2012, 10:33
I will not be trying Flight. I am going to wait for a GC to run AeroFly FS. They are making an SDK for it, I want my planes in it, and I want to help them do an Arizona and Colorado version of AeroFly.

I am happy with FS2004, (very happy) and now that I have FSX running again, (took 2 weeks to get the FSX SP1 going), it too is ok. Lots of planes, and the entire world.

For those of you that download and fly Flight, may it suit you well and may it behave well and work awesome on your machines. It is a new era and direction for MS. I wish them well and also those who will be flying in it. Have fun.

:salute: :applause: :running:

Bill

Felixthreeone
February 28th, 2012, 10:48
It really does look like an excellent game. For all the gamers out there who are looking forward to getting their game on, I hope to see a lot of screenshots from the new flight game. I hope that this game lives up to the expectations of the aforementioned gamers, and that microsoft continues to expand its game to include more missions, coin collecting, and general game-enhancing content. But, remember, if you want to push further into the game, you have to purchase new game content from the makers of the game, so that you can take the game to the next level. One more day, and it is game on.

hews500d
February 28th, 2012, 10:50
I'll follow the online reports. Might check it out later if they add TrackIR support (hard to live without that once you get used to it).

It doesn't have TrackIR support?? Definitely a no-go item for me then. Can't stand to fly without it now..

Darrell

hairyspin
February 28th, 2012, 11:38
I might get it some day when I can spare the bandwidth, but the lack of an SDK for modellers means it's of little real interest for now. Which is a pity, I was really looking forward to building something for Flight.

JAllen
February 28th, 2012, 11:50
As for me, I will try it. If for no other reason but to see what MS is trying to sell and how it actually works. I am not one to take hearsay and rumor to heart. If it is free to look at the product then why not. Should it cost $50 to look then I likely never would. Find out the truths. Surely, the delete button still works. It did with XPlane 10 anyway.

I have as much or more than any of you in FSX and still not afraid to look. NOT giving up FSX either.

Jim

pilottj
February 28th, 2012, 11:53
Excellent summary. I definitely agree with you.
I'll also keep a close eye on Flight, just to keep informed about it.

Here however, I have to disagree.
The amount of money spent into a sim is not a good reason to stick with it. With such a philosophy, a simmer who bought a lot of VFR/bush scenery addons and warbirds for FS9 could never enjoy the OrbX sceneries and the Accusim planes in FSX, which is total nonsense.

I have spent a lot of money (well, not as much as some people, but quite a lot for me) in FSX, and if XPlane10 starts to get the kind of realistic addons that I like, then I'll start spending money on that sim. I won't stay with a sim knowing that another sim has more realistic and enjoyable addons.

In the case of Flight, I know that it will not have any addon that could be more realistic and enjoyable than current FSX addons, so I will not switch to that sim. Not until this situation changes.

So you won't fly FSX either then ? ;)

Well when FSX came out, not everyone rushed to get it the first day. Some did. At the time there were many great FS9 addons, and it had and still has life in it. I didn't join the 'dark side' until a few years into FSX's run. By that time, computer hardware that could run it reasonably was more affordable, there were more quality addons, solutions had been devolped for it's quirks. I am saying I won't rush out and jump into Flight when I already have all this great stuff for FSX to enjoy. Give it a few years and I will decide then.

Francois
February 28th, 2012, 11:54
Free, yes.

Plus 43 Euros if you want to fly over TWO islands with a grand total of 4 aircraft ! :ernae:

Francois
February 28th, 2012, 11:55
....... on an XBox360 .

CP1207
February 28th, 2012, 12:09
at least in my time zone...

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Microsoft-Flight/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8044d5308d2

Tom@Cr1-Software
February 28th, 2012, 12:46
I will Down load it and fly it for the weekend with a few buddies, but honestly, fs9 and fsx are keeping me more the busy with 5 new releases coming out , 3 for fsx alone... I honestly can tell you I just don't have time to fly flight. I hope the title dose very well, but as for now, if I cant build any thing for it I kinda don't have too much time for it.
I like to share my creations and soon I will be almost freeware, so if I cant build a kick ass plane for it to share with my friends in the community then I wont be supporting it much. Sorry to say that but the "fun" for me is the designing, and fs9 and fsx just keeps a smile on my face in the designing end of things.

I hope Flight dose well.

Tom Wood
Lead Designer.

papab
February 28th, 2012, 12:51
Over at the AVSIM forum they posted some release images of FLIGHT:
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/363929-release-images/

Rick

ColinT46
February 28th, 2012, 12:51
No cockpit view in the mustang. External model only....................WTF.

Bomber_12th
February 28th, 2012, 13:09
Well the exterior of the MS-Flight Mustang is someone's dream/imagination anyway - they must not have used much, if any, actual resource material for it, let alone push any boundaries with the textures/materials...you can get far better, with a bit more money (even less, soon), in FSX.

Curiosity has got the better of me when it comes to the base/program...it's free after all...should be nice for some Stearman flights around the big island of Hawaii, I should think. ; )

Scratch
February 28th, 2012, 13:12
It holds zero interest for me.

Naki
February 28th, 2012, 13:35
[QUOTE=Bomber_12th;687744]Well the exterior of the MS-Flight Mustang is someone's dream/imagination anyway - they must not have used much, if any, actual resource material for it, let alone push any boundaries with the textures/materials...you can get far better, with a bit more money (even less, soon), in FSX.QUOTE]

Haha when I read what your wrote I thought yes what about the Warbirdsim Mustang and then I realised who wrote it...

For me MS Flight will be installed but will be a fun thing for the kids to play with and I won't be buying any addons....UNLESS it evolves and includes NZ, detailed airports for NZ, more aircraft and NZ AI etc.

noddy
February 28th, 2012, 13:49
Tried it, and not impressed. It really is an arcade game, unless I missed something?

GypsyBaron
February 28th, 2012, 13:54
No interest whatsoever.

Paul

XLR8
February 28th, 2012, 14:20
I played the beta, and it was pretty good...it was a beta . Its not FSX, but its something new . From what I have seen the addons are pretty cheap (the whole island of Hawaii-less than $20 bucks and a couple of planes $8 to &10 bucks each). I was going for Areofly but from my friends opinion its more of a game than Flight is . Plus what I would spend on Areofly $50+, I can start with Flight .

YoYo
February 28th, 2012, 14:21
For sure, I will take a free version to see it but without a pressure.

I'll Install, see it, take some :guinness:, maybe more, :icon29::guinness:, or again something more :guinness::icon29::guinness::icon29::guinness::ico n29:. Will be very peaceful, maybe I will like it in this time. I will take a credit card, cant read digits so cant buy something. Morning :sleep: I will not see what I did, I'll take uninstall option of unknown programm, it doesnt look like FSX icon. :kilroy:

Lewis-A2A
February 28th, 2012, 14:45
Just looked at the prices for the UK, OUCH! someone at MS forgot to do any currency conversion. Wouldnt be so bad if I could fly around the globe on adventures and generally do as I please, but £10 for an aircraft limited in realism that I can only use around one island unless I shell out what seems to be £15-20 for new small patches for terrain or new 'missions' at the £15 range :kilroy:

Me thinks for UK types, FSX and FS9, XPlane or even Prepared3D fully modded is going to end up cheaper than a 'free' sim in no time at all.

Still its new and as a flight simmer, ill get it downloaded at some point and give it a whirl.

Kiwikat
February 28th, 2012, 14:47
I'll pass... :mixedsmi:

Instead I'll take delivery of my brand new Canon 5D Mark II. That is a whole lot more exciting! :jump:

Gibbage
February 28th, 2012, 16:49
deleted x-plane 10 and Aerofly FS already......

Thats going a little far! I think Flight will be a good complament to those sims. There are things it cant do (yet) that the others can. Flight is a great GA VFR sim with so ILS/VOR capability. Its a great way to burn a few hours and some AVG.

Crusader
February 28th, 2012, 17:50
Just downloaded . May seem like a stupid question but is there such a think a "Free Flight" or is it all mission oriented ? Wouldn't mind having the entire Hawaiian chain if I could fly free flight around the islands . Maybe I missed something in the options . I didn't think the ground textures were bad at all . If you like ROF (Rise of Flight) , you probably would enjoy Microsoft Flight .

Rich

jeansy
February 28th, 2012, 18:12
im gunna wait i think

looks nice, but i dont think it will suite me at all

Gibbage
February 28th, 2012, 18:18
Yes there is "free flight" but you MUST finish the first two Icon missions (intro, and wedding party) to access the free flight map. I think its stupid they did this, but you learn a lot about Flight in those two training missions.

Mach3DS
February 28th, 2012, 19:59
Already uninstalled it....you'll know what I mean when you get to that point. No need for me to explain...you'll find out soon enough.

robert41
February 28th, 2012, 20:04
I have it installed now. Not too impressed with it. See my post in the Flight thread.

heywooood
February 28th, 2012, 20:09
I have it installed now. Not too impressed with it. See my post in the Flight thread.

its fun, free and runs great on my rig...it has free flight, great lighting...the missions arent bad - not my thing but not hateful :kilroy: the way some have described.

and I didn't have to uninstall FSX or surrender my man card or any of that - Flight is OK and cheers to M/S Flight Crew for releasing it a day early.

ryanbatc
February 28th, 2012, 20:18
I'll pass... :mixedsmi:

Instead I'll take delivery of my brand new Canon 5D Mark II. That is a whole lot more exciting! :jump:

You mean you're not saving for the 3500 mark III ? hehe

dvj
February 28th, 2012, 22:12
Just downloaded . May seem like a stupid question but is there such a think a "Free Flight" or is it all mission oriented ? Wouldn't mind having the entire Hawaiian chain if I could fly free flight around the islands . Maybe I missed something in the options . I didn't think the ground textures were bad at all . If you like ROF (Rise of Flight) , you probably would enjoy Microsoft Flight .

Rich

Tried it. You have to pass the first 2 flight tests before you get to free flight. It is arcade like in all aspects. Very disappointing. yes, the ground textures were OK like ROF, but the water was awful, and the clouds marginal at best. Fun for novices. I don't see REX, Carenado, A2A coming to Flight anytime soon. :sleep:

Barnes
February 28th, 2012, 22:43
There are some nice touches but so much is missing as a sim. I hunted for ages for the start key - then realised its the "aircraft on" key.

As a game to get kids interested in flying its great but at the moment I cant take it seriously. And certainly wont buy any addons for it.

YoYo
February 28th, 2012, 22:45
Its a true? Track IR doesnt work?

Barnes
February 28th, 2012, 23:26
Can anyone find a way of correcting the gamma - either windowed or full screen - without having to alter the whole pc?

T6flyer
February 28th, 2012, 23:54
I started to download it, but after reading your comments on this thread, stopped it. I'm perfectly happy with FS2004 and intend things to stay that way. With no AI and no TrackIR support, limited scenery and aeroplanes, its not the thing for me!!

Happy Landings,

Martin

Gibbage
February 29th, 2012, 00:18
If your still flying FS2004, then I doubt Flight is for you!

Mithrin
February 29th, 2012, 00:26
Though I'm not a Christian there is this line in the bible. I don't know how to translate it into English hehe but it's like try everything and keep the good/best. So I will definitely try this! :icon_lol:

Downloading as we type (and contemplate it seems). ;)

T6flyer
February 29th, 2012, 00:28
If your still flying FS2004, then I doubt Flight is for you!

I tried FSX (twice), but as had so much for the older sim and am part of a developer team building FS2004 aeroplanes, have decided to stay with the older simulator. Think 'Flight' appears to be of a game than a decent simulator and can't really see why Microsoft has gone to such effort to produce a product with limited appeal. Most people want to fly over their house, than just one part of the world that they may have only read about or seen on TV.

Like the Eurostar link - have the superb freeware version in FS2004 and what a wonderful LSA it is. Have a lot of time for it, with about 40 hours flying the real thing.

Best wishes,

Martin

Naki
February 29th, 2012, 00:53
Oh well dosen't seem that I'm missing much!
Tried to install it three times -- I give up - it just freezes on the sart up screen and slows my PC to a crawl
Go to support page and says I have a problem (no bloody kidding!)

Uh oh... that shouldn't have happened.It appears you've found a glitch in the system.
date: 29/02/2012 9:20:13 a.m.
code: 3E02C428B2D22A
s: lTCvm04jahMm9Bs771fegQ==
id: 6f09f773-1ae1-4dc6-b08e-577bf896da15
req: 8824bfdb-938e-41cb-bacb-b30400404179

I have not had this problem with any addon or game in the past..waste of disc space, bandwidth and time..now deleting for good

warchild
February 29th, 2012, 01:41
I beta tested it and wasnt too impressed. Although flight did have better environmental dynamics such as wind, it lacked in many areas, and with the introduction of free base, cash everywhere else, while not being compatible with anything else; having a restricted and closed developer policy, and generally over all being little more than a childs toy; i'm just not interested.
I instead chose to go in the direction of prepar3D. its produced by a company whos main product is cutting edge aviation products; its backwards compatible with fsx and f9, and the new version 2.0 will have dx11 support; not to mention you can go into space or underwater, add cities towns roads and vehicles ( to drive on the roads ), and it looks almost as good if not as good as anything orbyx puts out, while running faster and more efficiently than fsx. Personally, i feel that with the development thats ongoing at lockheed martin for their P3D product, and the benefits we get out of it, its worth my ten bucks a month.
Pam

Dain Arns
February 29th, 2012, 02:02
There's no place like FSX!
There's no place like FSX!

__60169

Well, I tried it.
Tried to keep an open mind too.
But...

No TrackIR support.
No Force Feedback.
Didn't like the flight dynamics.
Or enough to make me want to spend more on it.

It's good to be stay Home! :icon_lol:

Barnes
February 29th, 2012, 03:36
It does make you apprechiate FSX - and im now looking forward even more to Vert Studio's Stearman.

I have now removed FLIGHT from my pc with a feeling of disappointment and relief that it did not cost me anything that time!

Bruce Thompson
February 29th, 2012, 03:52
It does make you apprechiate FSX - and im now looking forward even more to Vert Studio's Stearman.

I have now removed FLIGHT from my pc with a feeling of disappointment and relief that it did not cost me anything that time!

Ditto!:applause:
:applause::applause:

Landman
February 29th, 2012, 04:14
My question is can you edit aircraft in Flight just as easily as FSX? Is there something in Flight that is comparable to the aircraft.cfg file that I can edit various and sundry parameters of flight performance, moments of inertia, drag, fuel, power, etc or is it set and stone and you have to live with what the developer programmed whether good or bad? Is there something comparable to a panel.cfg file that I can edit to swap out gauges, change night lighting, add my own and edit existing pop up panels or do we have to live with what the developer created? Will there be scenery design software that will allow me to edit airfields by making runways bigger, longer, clear out autogen items to do so, make the ramp just slightly bigger so I can fly my old favorite classic JT8D powered airliners into many smaller fields that would never see them in the real world. Can I add ILS to airfields that don't already have it? Will there be an extensive scenery objects library in the scenery design program that will allow me to choose from many styles of hangers, FBO's etc to add to an airfield? We can do all of this with FS9 and FSX. If it wont be a possibility at all with Flight then I say no thanks, goodbye and good riddance to Flight. If in fact they are planning it this way then I will try Flight. Oh, and one other thing, if each little scenery area and each add on aircraft is gonna cost fifty bucks and I have to spend ten grand to finally getthe whole world covered with scenery and finally have something comparable to what I have in FSX then I don't say no to flight, I say Hell No.

Francois
February 29th, 2012, 04:33
The answer is very simple: No.

:sleep:

big-mike
February 29th, 2012, 06:24
Will have a look at it--it`s free.
But i am pretty sure that i will not throw any money in it.
Love my FSX!
Michael

I revised my mind today after seeing some shots in a german forum.
The roads are looking so ugly---a no go for me.
Also i hate to register everywhere.
No "Flight!" for me.
Michael

hae5904
February 29th, 2012, 06:36
.......NO !

:icon_lol:
Hank

(drowning already in all sorts of flightsim....flaming cliffs / Black Shark / FS9 .....FSX (99 % )

beana51
February 29th, 2012, 06:44
.Installed the Free FLIGHT.....added all of Hawaii...Got some new planes...Been cleaning up the thing...making it look and feel not like a Game,but a Flight Sim.Lots of options to explore....Currently trying to get All of off my CH ,USB YOKE and USB PEDALS.to its fullest capability's....I do have basic control as of now...my impression is that HAWAII is beautiful...the PLANES fly well...and Mostly is great fun!...emphasis s on FUN!.......".Flight" ,with almost minimal l in put,with additions provides great,Again...FUN!....I welcome this great GAME....Already I have been exploring Hawaii...stationed at FORD FIELD.....Highly Recommended!...a 4 STAR Addition....My thoughts and Experiences today..the First day of FLIGHT!.for me?? fits well with my FS9,and FSX!..The more the merrier!!

Gotta tell ya..woke up early ,D/L the thing..and still having fun..like On Christmas morn..Opening new toys....CHEERS MEN...HAVE FUN!!......!.. http://s2.images.proboards.com/wink.gif

cortomalteseit
February 29th, 2012, 06:56
NO, it doesn't impressed me at all...

JAllen
February 29th, 2012, 07:02
I gave it a shot and think it needs more stick time. I flew the intros. I got access to the Stearman. I flew the mountain. I flew the beaches. I landed on dirt strip, farmer's field, runway and water.

The Stearman is nice but Deano's crew will easily surpass it. Nice sounds, squeaks and rumbles, on landings. Landing water effect no better than FSX. Scenery is much better than default FSX.

Got me irritated with control interface, no calibration access that I found. Must be using Windows cal? My Warthog wasn't working as smooth and predictable as in FSX. (Especially for the intro flight)

No TrackIR. Natural Point folks, can you addon? I will bet no.

Honestly, FSX has me spoiled. I expected more from Flight than what I got. This thing by first impression, is not for us "simmers" but more for XBOX style play and children. I said "first impression".

I will give it more time and closer look but expect to uninstall shortly. Doubt anyone will be doing any addons of any kind and its a Microsoft market to themselves. No surprises there! I wish them luck...they are going to need it.

Jim

EMatheson
February 29th, 2012, 07:10
Well, I liked it.

....but It's SO limited!?!

I want more! But even if it's coming soon, it isn't here at release, which is a little annoying!

roger-wilco-66
February 29th, 2012, 07:17
Well, after reading all these comments I'll stay away from it, at least in this stage of it's evolution (_if_ there is one).
FSX and Prepar3D have so much to offer.

As the saying goes, loosely translated: The dog has barked, and the caravan moves on.

Cheers,
Mark

1pepito2
February 29th, 2012, 08:43
Being on a tight budget... age/health/family..whine, whine :) ... a was anticipating a low cost, fun "Flight" system.... So far, one Hawaiian island and a couple a/c are free, anything else costs, where will the cost end? If I want to fly the Canadian bush or Swiss alps... when and how much? Early reports from beta testers touted the free/low cost, ease of operation and, beautiful scenery... a typical reaction of being "chosen" to beta test and given a free set up I reckon. Like many, I'm not impressed, that may change one day, there's always hope.

For those who enjoy it, have fun!

P

Pronto91
February 29th, 2012, 10:01
I gave it a shot and think it needs more stick time. I flew the intros. I got access to the Stearman. I flew the mountain. I flew the beaches. I landed on dirt strip, farmer's field, runway and water.

Jim

How do you get access to the Stearman?

Barnes
February 29th, 2012, 10:13
you have to do the first few training missions first

Pronto91
February 29th, 2012, 10:16
Found it. As mentioned, do the two missions, then look in the 'Hanger'

rwmarth
February 29th, 2012, 10:28
No track IR support? Not even worth a try then

Francois
February 29th, 2012, 10:40
And by the way, and not being anything of my business of course, but don'tya have a special forum for this **** !? :engel016:

TuFun
February 29th, 2012, 10:41
And by the way, and not being anything of my business of course, but don'tya have a special forum for this **** !? :engel016:

LOL!!! Thanks you made my day!

jmig
February 29th, 2012, 10:42
You mean you're not saving for the 3500 mark III ? hehe

He SHOULD be ordering a D800. Snicker..snicker

Back to your regular scheduled MS program.

Lionheart
February 29th, 2012, 11:04
And by the way, and not being anything of my business of course, but don'tya have a special forum for this **** !? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/engel016.gif

Francois

We could put all the Flight posts in the X-3 Terran Conflict room since its also science fiction. ;)

Dain Arns
February 29th, 2012, 11:23
One thing I have to say in favor for it, FLIGHT still runs better on my old system than FSX. :p:

roger-wilco-66
February 29th, 2012, 13:19
We could put all the Flight posts in the X-3 Terran Conflict room since its also science fiction. ;)

*rofl*

that comment made my day!

Cheers, :guinness:

Mark

Roger
February 29th, 2012, 13:21
One thing I have to say in favor for it, FLIGHT still runs better on my old system than FSX. :p:

Same here Dain!

Barnes
February 29th, 2012, 14:04
Yeah - but then absolutely everything runs better on my system than FSX!!!!

Felixthreeone
February 29th, 2012, 14:24
Yeah - but then absolutely everything runs better on my system than FSX!!!!

...There is a true statement If I have ever heard one!!! I think we can pretty much all say that to some extent...

OleBoy
February 29th, 2012, 14:37
With the amount of dosh I've invested in FSX, I'll pass. I saw enough of the pre-beta teasers and read more than I wanted to about what I can't do.

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/b/brooms/graphics-brooms-647790.gif

FSN
February 29th, 2012, 14:52
So tempted I was to try it but i'll wait for a while. I'd rather send my money to the hard working indie devs in fsx by buying their addons rather then give it to Microsoft.

Montie
February 29th, 2012, 16:14
The only thing I like about Flight is the clouds. They actually look dense, fluffy and how the sky colors interact with them is great. But any way as free game, its worth trying out.

Might try and see if the Flight Hawaii island works in FSX tomorrow.

heywooood
February 29th, 2012, 17:03
So tempted I was to try it but i'll wait for a while. I'd rather send my money to the hard working indie devs in fsx by buying their addons rather then give it to Microsoft.

Flight is FREE...

flaminghotsauce
February 29th, 2012, 17:13
Well, I'm TRYING to try it out. I'm having difficulty getting my saitek stuff set up. Once I was into the first intro, I didn't have throttle control. Went back to options and set up the throttle, and I didn't have pitch control. Went back, got the pitch control worked up, now I cannot change my camera view. I'm absolutely STUCK in flyby view. Ever try to line up with a runway that you cannot see? Ouch.

It looks great, and I'm going to work on it some more. I'm not exactly feeling well, and my head is messed up. I might be doing something incorrectly every time I go into the options menu. I'm looking forward to the Free Flight!

FSN
February 29th, 2012, 17:23
Flight is FREE...

Yes of course but the additional addons aren't are they? That's what I was referring to.

heywooood
February 29th, 2012, 19:15
Yes of course but the additional addons aren't are they? That's what I was referring to.

of course you were - but no one is obliged to buy anything...:kilroy:

MHAircraft
February 29th, 2012, 20:20
Played the first mission. Looks nice, but little substance. M$ does deserve credit for not naming it Flight Simulator whatever. Truth in advertising, what about that!

I'll probably go grab the free Stearman, finish the other mission, and do a little sight-seeing. However, I expect to be bored pretty soon and come back to FSX.

falcon409
February 29th, 2012, 21:38
All along I said I wouldn't bother with this. The idea that they scrapped any future Flight Simulators for a video game just didn't sit right with me. Anyway, I gave in to the "FREE DOWNLOAD" hook and gave it a quick try. I guess the lack of familiarity with the setup and the disappointing graphics (water, land, sky, etc) kept me from spending a whole lot of time with it. For the time being it just strikes me as dumbed down version of FSX. After flying the Icon, which I think is a beautiful aircraft, I closed out the "Game" and went back to FSX and my Icon. Flight didn't get off the ground for me, so I was right all along. . . . .I shouldn't have bothered.:salute:

bstolle
February 29th, 2012, 22:10
The flight (and ground) dynamics have been definitely improved over FSX and FINALLY the engine/prop sound is correct.
I have to admit that I also spent MUCH more time than initially planned on the first day with FLIGHT.
Impression after the first day is that even in its initial stage it looks sounds feels and perfoms like a slighty improved FSX equipped with high quality add-ons (tested with the Stearman of course as the Icons VC is simply ugly virtual and IRL )
You can even crash, you have increased wind sound when dropping the gear or side-slipping. (Opening the canopy in the icon in flight is also a very interesting experience!)

YoYo
March 1st, 2012, 04:21
MS recived SDK of Naturalpoint for Track IR http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50739#Post50739
but didnt it yet.

XLR8
March 1st, 2012, 05:34
WOW...just WOW...I took off from the airport and flew around checking out the scenery . Saw a pretty cove and landed near it, then taxied into the cove where I parked my Icon . I then opened the cockpit and got out of the plane . I walked around the beach for some time looking at the pretty scenery .All that was left was a drink in my hand and to pick up some sand dollars and sea shells . This has got to be the coolest feature in any flightsim, the ability to enter/exit the aircraft and walk around . Nice touch Microsoft .

YoYo
March 1st, 2012, 05:44
WOW...just WOW...I took off from the airport and flew around checking out the scenery . Saw a pretty cove and landed near it, then taxied into the cove where I parked my Icon . I then opened the cockpit and got out of the plane . I walked around the beach for some time looking at the pretty scenery .All that was left was a drink in my hand and to pick up some sand dollars and sea shells . This has got to be the coolest feature in any flightsim, the ability to enter/exit the aircraft and walk around . Nice touch Microsoft .
Nothing new, it was before in Take on helicopters.

mal998
March 1st, 2012, 06:00
I downloaded the game, and it appears it is just a game, not a simulator. Also, everything about it says pay as you go.

It's a bit confusing as to how you log in, and exactly what you are logging in to. The graphics seem nice, it runs pretty smooth. The controller setup is limited, not at all like FSX where you can assign trim to dials and things like that.

So as far as initial impression goes, I don't think it's for me. It is NOT FS11, but it should have been!

It appears MS controls the whole game with 3rd party addons being totally excluded. That means no Orbx, no Aerosoft, no Vertigo, etc etc.

I think from what I've seen so far, you can count me out on this one.

heywooood
March 1st, 2012, 06:15
I downloaded the game, and it appears it is just a game, not a simulator. Also, everything about it says pay as you go.

It's a bit confusing as to how you log in, and exactly what you are logging in to. The graphics seem nice, it runs pretty smooth. The controller setup is limited, not at all like FSX where you can assign trim to dials and things like that.

So as far as initial impression goes, I don't think it's for me. It is NOT FS11, but it should have been!

It appears MS controls the whole game with 3rd party addons being totally excluded. That means no Orbx, no Aerosoft, no Vertigo, etc etc.

I think from what I've seen so far, you can count me out on this one.

well - improvements will come. This is, after all, the initial release in what appears to be MS new franchise.
Some updates will be free most likely while additional content will be payware...just like RoF and ToH, DCS.... and FSX (money going to MS instead of 3rd party devs who can now concentrate on FSX yay)

Seriously - who flies default FSX? no one around here. So whining about pay as you go for Flight is somewhat hollow (not directed specifically at any one person - just in general)

big-mike
March 1st, 2012, 06:51
Well,it seems to be really only a game.
I have just watched a few vids from Flight made by users
and there is nothing to see what impressed me anyway.
Maybe it will become better after a while,but i don`t believe this.
Personally i find,that only Prepar3D would be an interesting Sim for the future.
Paying a monthly 10$ for example is nothing wrong for a hobby.
I will have an eye on the further develpement.
My 2cents
Michael

beana51
March 1st, 2012, 07:11
Happy Bstolle said what he said....once my CH USB Yoke,and my CH USB pedals were set up..all working...and flying their RV-6...Taxing,Take off cruse and landings were greatly improved from both FS9 and FSX.... I would not say it..,who would believe me??.but Bistolle did...and I concur...Strictly from the illusion of controlled Flight...I Found "FLIGHT" with greater fidelity to inputs.....Flying real world and Sims,all of them...I was impressed......The extended Hawaii scenery pak...very nice...Ford Field..as it really is....Clouds,weather, OK....Once you clean it up,Customize it as to what you want,..".UNGAME IT"..why ,if ya like HAWAII?...this is for you...I spent $19.95 for the scenery...and if I stopped with that?...Its OK with as is ,for me..Still have my hangers full in FS9 and FSX.Lost nothing,gained something..FREE!!...this Hawaii is somewhat like a vacation!....Will always go home,will always have FS9 and FSX waiting for me!!!
Some like the Multi Player Feature...not my thing..strictly Solo..So Far That Is..<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>.I think like..<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>Curiosity killed the cat.this will spread...Lets face it...Tho we POO POO this..its our nature to give a look see..Most here are like Moths To a Flame!...We All remember when FS9 came along...and how about the Gnashing of teeth,pulling of hair with FSX...So lets get real...The Thing is free...and if ya never spent a nickle..its fun..its planes,its great scenery..its "FLIGHT".....Now my Computer has FS9 ,FSX, and now "FLIGHT"...And I'm ready for the next one to come along!!...Some day they will get it right.....And I feel for me,I now have a better experience with Desk top Flying and am enjoying the evolution of it! ..GAME or SIM..its Fun!!!...Cheers Men! :salute:

Warrant
March 1st, 2012, 07:30
Well, free download. Gonna give it a try :-)

https://microsoftflight.com/en-us/home/

Flasheegee
March 1st, 2012, 08:08
How Big is the DL-have @ the moment not much discspace?

XLR8
March 1st, 2012, 08:23
Nothing new, it was before in Take on helicopters.

I don't have take on helicopters, not a big helo person . But it would have been nice to have this feature in FSX .

big-mike
March 1st, 2012, 08:23
1,5GB-----i think.
Michael

XLR8
March 1st, 2012, 08:29
Happy Bstolle said what he said....once my CH USB Yoke,and my CH USB pedals were set up..all working...and flying their RV-6...Taxing,Take off cruse and landings were greatly improved from both FS9 and FSX.... I would not say it..,who would believe me??.but Bistolle did...and I concur...Strictly from the illusion of controlled Flight...I Found "FLIGHT" with greater fidelity to inputs.....Flying real world and Sims,all of them...I was impressed......The extended Hawaii scenery pak...very nice...Ford Field..as it really is....Clouds,weather, OK....Once you clean it up,Customize it as to what you want,..".UNGAME IT"..why ,if ya like HAWAII?...this is for you...I spent $19.95 for the scenery...and if I stopped with that?...Its OK with as is ,for me..Still have my hangers full in FS9 and FSX.Lost nothing,gained something..FREE!!...this Hawaii is somewhat like a vacation!....Will always go home,will always have FS9 and FSX waiting for me!!!
Some like the Multi Player Feature...not my thing..strictly Solo..So Far That Is..<LABEL for=rb_iconid_24>http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</LABEL>.I think like..<LABEL for=rb_iconid_24></LABEL>Curiosity killed the cat.this will spread...Lets face it...Tho we POO POO this..its our nature to give a look see..Most here are like Moths To a Flame!...We All remember when FS9 came along...and how about the Gnashing of teeth,pulling of hair with FSX...So lets get real...The Thing is free...and if ya never spent a nickle..its fun..its planes,its great scenery..its "FLIGHT".....Now my Computer has FS9 ,FSX, and now "FLIGHT"...And I'm ready for the next one to come along!!...Some day they will get it right.....And I feel for me,I now have a better experience with Desk top Flying and am enjoying the evolution of it! ..GAME or SIM..its Fun!!!...Cheers Men! :salute:

Well said . My thinking to, with fewer aircraft games/Sim coming out one can enjoy what there is . As of right now Flight won't replace FSX , but its new and we will have to see what the future of Flight is .

heywooood
March 1st, 2012, 17:03

their spec calls for a shade under 32GB free space on your HD

Barnes
March 1st, 2012, 22:18
Well said . My thinking to, with fewer aircraft games/Sim coming out one can enjoy what there is . As of right now Flight won't replace FSX , but its new and we will have to see what the future of Flight is .

That may be OK for you young man but im at the age where i realise i have more past than future!! LOL
I lie about my age

Bjoern
March 2nd, 2012, 08:48

Accodring to a SHQ member, the footprint of the folder is 2.21 Gb.

Gibbage
March 2nd, 2012, 11:47
Right now, I have all the DLC installed, and its 2.29gb. Flight will need a little bit more room then that for cache, and Windows will also need room. Plus you will want more room open later on for DLC. Its never a good idea to fill a hard drive up to max. You want some wiggle room.

Also if anyone is interested in knowing what Flight is, without downloading the game, I made a small video to help explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0PUcC9t4jo

XLR8
March 2nd, 2012, 12:37
That may be OK for you young man but im at the age where i realise i have more past than future!! LOL
I lie about my age

I'm no young chicken ,and don't be to surprised if you out live me .

Piglet
March 2nd, 2012, 19:12
Definately for the console crowd. No Track IR support-wtf?!? But not bad for a free Stearman-in-Hawaii flight game (not sim) Only thing better than FSX is the plane shadowing.

Just can't compare FSX to Flight, two totally different animals.

Gibbage
March 2nd, 2012, 22:58
Definately for the console crowd. No Track IR support-wtf?!? But not bad for a free Stearman-in-Hawaii flight game (not sim) Only thing better than FSX is the plane shadowing.

Just can't compare FSX to Flight, two totally different animals.

Gotta bust you on this. No version of MSFS has ever has official support for TrackIr. FSX had Simcinnect that NP tapped into, but they had to do the work themselvs. 2002 and 2004 had no support so NP had to make a back-door into it. Same with IL2. No support, but NP was able to program in a back door.

NP has already posted that they are working with MS Flight to get support.

falcon409
March 2nd, 2012, 23:56
Nice video Kevin but when the music plays or the aircraft engines are running your voice-over is lost. I've downloaded "Flight" and from time to time I'll go in a fly for a bit, but with my rig I can actually run FSX with better graphics than Flight. I tried running the graphics up to get the same look that I saw in some of the screenshots (and your video) and the fps dropped too low to be flyable. I've found very little thus far that would make me think this is something I will stick with. Flying around the Island is boring really as I've spent more time looking at dirt and trees than anything that would keep me interested. The buildings are rather drab and lifeless and aside from the areas where they used some photoscenery (mainly around the airports), the rest of the ground textures look no better than what I have now with GEX. Climbing through the clouds seems a bit more realistic than FSX but I can't say that it blows FSX away in that area and the rain was laughable really, as it appeared to be nothing more than straight lines flying through the air. . . .nothing close to what FSX has and no interaction with the aircraft at all, no rain drops on the windshield, etc.

I have been able to get some of the throttle and joystick functions mapped to mirror what I have in FSX but some, despite being accepted during the mapping process failed to function during flight. All in all, my curiosity level is quickly waning and it won't be long before Flight ends up in the "out" bin.:salute:

jankees
March 3rd, 2012, 00:26
In the end, I was never able to get past the Live barrier, so no flight for me. But I can live with FSX for now..

Thoe6969
March 3rd, 2012, 04:36
I would at least give it a try but will not jump through all the hoops to get a live account.I'm sure thats going to turn a lot of people off.I have steam for my train sim and that can be a pain at times.

YoYo
March 3rd, 2012, 07:45
If You want to have Track IR in Flight please send to MS small email: msflight@microsoft.com .
Maybe the best way for this take a little pressure. Write, You want buy all ; > dlc but without TiR no way & no fun.

Or? ... Microsoft wants to release a new DLC with TiR support. Next 5$ :icon_lol: . LOL !

Barnes
March 3rd, 2012, 07:57
I would at least give it a try but will not jump through all the hoops to get a live account.I'm sure thats going to turn a lot of people off.I have steam for my train sim and that can be a pain at times.

Im with you completely on all you say!

heywooood
March 3rd, 2012, 08:22
short term memory
when FSX was introduced did it run smoothly?...at any setting? on any rig? No
Flight runs smoothly on my rig at about equal settings to FSX - I guess I'm lucky there, but I am NOT using the max settings in either sim/game

It will take a couple of updates from MS to get Flight more optimized..just as it did for FSX..SP1? SP2? anyone...?

As to Live account setup - that was a couple of really tough key clicks there...man, brutal...whew! :kilroy:

...and I still have FSX - for the next 10 years I will have FSX - if I have to set up a machine with ancient Win7 and unplug it from the internets I will have FSX for at least the next 10 years

but time is marching on - If you don't like the direction MS is taking with their franchise - go tell them politely - their website is open and anyone can contact their team - but please use a carrot and leave
the pitchforks, torches and sticks at home. You might get an interesting reply.

grunau_baby
March 3rd, 2012, 08:36
Out of curiosity I gave it a try- thought to be openminded would be the best thing for an approach. I really had a few hopes for Flight, cause I am certainly part of the "low and slow" and eyecandy crowd and not necessarily fixiated on system depth.

Well, the cliff-coastlines pleased my eye, the shadows are nice too, but that was about it really. The whole setup/menue is already too gamish to me, the water is horribly cartoonish (it´s not great in FSX either, but still better) and it even runs less smooth than my current FSX install.

Moreover I completely dislike to create a Live account to get "more" options, aircraft let alone purchasing another few more "islands in the middle of nowhere". Don´t get me wrong - this does not go against Hawaii! - but I am a "homeflyer". Primarily I am flying around my own area (80%) and places I know (Germany, Europe) and only exploring the rest of the world for 20% (including Hawaii) of my limited flying time. So where´s the thrill for me (at the moment)???? And if the added world later on will look as blank as this cartoonish "beast" (as I can imagine remembering how the default scenery of my favourite places always looked on any FS-release in the past) I will not spent any money on it or even create a LIVE account.

So for me personally I will keep an eye on it, but will enjoy my FSX for some time much longer. Moreover it makes me feel good to spent the little money I can on our precious addon-developers who created our "little world" over so many years.

Just my opinion here. We will see...
Alex

Barnes
March 3rd, 2012, 08:48
Nicely put Alex :salute:

falcon409
March 3rd, 2012, 09:02
Yep, well put Alex.:applause:
I took Heywooood's advice and dropped an opinion or two on the "Flight" Facebook page. Just to let them know we are watching, lol. From the very beginning posts about the existence of "Flight" it was rumored that it would become a "pay to play" closed system with everything coming from MS and no 3rd party access. That alone was enough to raise the ire of a lot of folks who have become staunch supporters of our 3rd Party Developers. The rumors have become reality and despite the fact that I spoke these words when FSX was released ("I'm sticking with FS9"), the sentiment takes on added substance based on my age, retirement status, fixed income and a lengthy list of other factors. I have scaled back my buying tremendously since being unemployed and now that I've accepted retirement I'm buying even less, so a new computer is out of the question and having to purchase the rest of the world plus aircraft to fly is not in the cards. At some point I'll leave all this behind either due to boredom or inability to run FSX anymore due to HDD crashes or some other computer catastrophe and at that point another generation of simmers will be in charge anyway. I hope they get something better than "Flight".:salute:

Marvin Carter
March 3rd, 2012, 09:53
I waiting for Microsoft to stop registering and activating FSX all together when you go to change OS or computer, to force people out!!!

heywooood
March 3rd, 2012, 10:31
I waiting for Microsoft to stop registering and activating FSX all together when you go to change OS or computer, to force people out!!!

when it ever comes to that, rest assured the community will find a workaround

FWIW I agree that Flight is somewhat disappointing - but as MS offered it up for free I am not as upset about it as I might have been

I get the direction they took with Flight - trying to make it more appealing to general users in a nice idea, and capturing ALL of the development revenue is less draconian than it is pragmatic..

I think it will not pan out the way they had hoped. I think it will appeal more to people who are less likely to be bothered will additional content (casual gamers) than FSX does to ardent flight sim enthusiasts
and so will attract less money overall. If instead they had made a trademark usage deal with 3rd party developers - a "You guys can do whatever you want - but if it is "For FSX" then MS gets 5%" approach - they would realize far more revenue than they will by taking 100% from casual., disinterested, transient gamers. And when they allow freeware to be developed they likely realize far more core sales than they otherwise would so dissallowing freeware harms MS Flight too.

But - if they adapt Flight to a slightly more FSX model in time, and they could - Flight can still have ATC and AI and Heavy Airline equipment added and it doesnt have to be payware...it is TODAY - but alot can change in a day. In the mean time, this Stearman is a blast.

falcon409
March 3rd, 2012, 10:39
when it ever comes to that, rest assured the community will find a workaround

FWIW I agree that Flight is somewhat disappointing - but as MS offered it up for free I am not as upset about it as I might have been

I get the direction they took with Flight - trying to make it more appealing to general users in a nice idea, and capturing ALL of the development revenue is less draconian than it is pragmatic..

I think it will not pan out the way they had hoped. I think it will appeal more to people who are less likely to be bothered will additional content (casual gamers) than FSX does to ardent flight sim enthusiasts
and so will attract less money overall. If instead they had made a trademark usage deal with 3rd party developers - a "You guys can do whatever you want - but if it is "For FSX" then MS gets 5%" approach - they would realize far more revenue than they will by taking 100% from casual., disinterested, transient gamers. And when they allow freeware to be developed they likely realize far more core sales than they otherwise would so dissallowing freeware harms MS Flight too.

But - if they adapt Flight to a slightly more FSX model in time, and they could - Flight can still have ATC and AI and Heavy Airline equipment added and it doesnt have to be payware...it is TODAY - but alot can change in a day. In the mean time, this Stearman is a blast.
Yep, well put.:applause:

Bruce Thompson
March 3rd, 2012, 14:00
I agree with what you have said Heywooood and after a dissapointing first run and rant by me in the Flight forum, I came back
and had another go with it thinking that maybe I had been quick with my observations.

Well I now have to report that I have not changed my mind in anyway, to me it's just a game and always will be,
but I must say that it's taken a hell of a lot of money and time to get FSX to the stage I have it at now, it,s now what I thought it was going to be when I first bought it so .

heywooood
March 3rd, 2012, 16:13
I agree with what you have said Heywooood and after a dissapointing first run and rant by me in the Flight forum, I came back
and had another go with it thinking that maybe I had been quick with my observations.

Well I now have to report that I have not changed my mind in anyway, to me it's just a game and always will be,
but I must say that it's taken a hell of a lot of money and time to get FSX to the stage I have it at now, it,s now what I thought it was going to be when I first bought it so .

Me too, regarding FSX - I have it looking right and working well with relatively high settings and it only took 5 years, two computer builds, FTX and REX, endless .cfg tweaking, and a pile of payware planes amounting to a staggering sum of money...lol I mean staggering

And I think Microsoft noticed - and wanted a bigger piece of the action

So here is Flight - looking (and performing) in its infancy like FSX of two years ago and with far fewer features...and yet all of the placeholders are there FOR those features to be added later (probably for a price that, by the time Flight contains as much as FSX did at release, it will have 10 times the pricetag) - now the million dollar question is...will anyone care?
Because it has already turned off so many potential customers - customers who had been faithful to the frachise for its open architecture and comprehensive depth, who have really made the MSFS franchise what it is. Customers who would have been automatic had Microsoft continued in the same vein as FS9 and FSX but who now appear to be about 85-90% against Flight - non starters...

Microsoft failed to see that, one of the biggest reasons the MSFS community buys these programs is that they know the 3rd party development community will eventually take something good and worthwhile..and turn it into something extraordinary.
They didn't include us in their new business model...they either don't care if we come along - or they just think we will because we always do.. eventually
I think that's partially why the initial release of Flight is free - we can either take it or leave it - making the choice without spending a dime.
And we still have FSX while we wait and see whether their idea is sound...or a complete mistake.

I'm hoping they will see the F'n light with Flight:kilroy: and open it up - they had a really good thing going if only they would have made a less radical correction.

Felixthreeone
March 3rd, 2012, 18:43
This may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but....

....What if the things you see and hear of Flight right now are just scratching the surface? Don't get me wrong...I am not defending Microsoft....but c'mon. These folks are being paid a LOT of money, to develop something for the PC aviation community, young and old, and everything in between. Who says there is not a 'FLight PRO' version in the works? Or, expansion packs that offer the specifics a lot of us are waiting for/want to see? I don't like the idea of MS closing off the 3rd party developers at all...but maybe they will be allowed in once Flight reaches a certain maturation point? I will have to take a wait and see attitude here. But, I will never dismiss that which I do not know. And a company as large and capable as Microsoft is no dunce. They know what they are doing. They know we are here. And they know we are waiting.

Skyhawk_310R
March 3rd, 2012, 20:11
Matt,

If you recall, back when FSX first released its demo, there were many noted third party vendors who commented about how they were already developing products for FSX. You do not hear that chatter for Flight.

I suspect this is an official divorce between Microsoft and third party open-ended development. I also think it meets the goal that MS announced a few years back toward online gaming where you paid a subscription fee.

Now, personally, I think this is a very flawed marketing model. I think customers are going to balk at a recurrent fee to play PC-based and/or X-Box-based video games. But, MS is going to have to feel the pain to figure that out. What concerns me the most is that the suits will see the failure, but instead of returning to open architecture, MS will just totally abandon the flight sim genre. You see, the man at MS who was responsible for the FS series no longer works at MS (Paul Allen). Paul was and remains a huge booster for general aviation. In short, the man loves flying.

Paul's latest flight venture is to sponsor Bert Rutan's Space Ship One that won the Ansari X Prize. Now, that venture is on the cusp of pioneering true commercial space travel with investments from Paul Allen and Richard Branson.

Paul also includes aviation in his many charity projects by sponsoring the Flying Heritage Collection, which is an assembly of vintage aircraft and warbirds.

As long as Paul Allen was one of the movers and shakers at MS, you could count on the continuation of the FS series. Nobody wanted to sit at an MS board meeting and explain to Paul why the FS series was going away! But Allen retired in 2000 and it is no secret that the level of committment to the FS series has ebbed since then.

I hope I am wrong in all this and that you are right. But, my pragmatic side doesn't believe this to be the case.

Ken

falcon409
March 3rd, 2012, 20:40
Ken, my opinion (which rarely means anything) is that the powers that be behind MS Flight don't really care whether the FSX/FS9 crowd comes along or not. They are moving to the gaming platform (specifically the "Live" Gaming platform) and that's a whole different market than those who are diehard Flight Simulator enthusiasts. As far as the 3rd party developers being involved, it was understood a long time ago that all addons would be handled in-house by Microsoft, hence the lack of chatter amongst the developers. . . .it was one of the things that early on began turning folks against what was coming. . . .basically a pay to play video game for kids with everything emanating from the Microsoft Empire.

I also believe that if "Flight" nosedives at some point and nothing right now says it will, but if it does then MS can finally wash their hands of the Flight Sim genre satisfied that they gave it their best shot and use all that wasted space in the home office for something that will make them the big bucks, lol.:salute:

Gibbage
March 3rd, 2012, 20:52
If Flight tanks, MS wont give flight simming a 3rd chance. If Microsoft failed at making money on flight simming, and all other company's have folded or closed (Fly, Flight Unlimited and the rest), no invester will ever touch a new full-scale flight sim project for a LONG time.

Sure, we will still have XP, and FSX will still be around, but there wont be anything new for a really really long time. Do you really want simming owned by a monopoly? I dont. Competition is a good thing. XP is slow to advance as it is!!!

nazca_steve
March 3rd, 2012, 22:14
I think the one lesson we've learned is not to panic. Sims with the kind of loyalty seen on SOH die hard. I am still an ardent FS9 user, who only now, after all these years is about to take the plunge into FSX usage and development. So for me, FSX is a whole new playground that I intend to get as much out of as I have from FS9 for the last 8 years. So what I am trying to say is, if Flight bombs, personally speaking as a slow adopter, I am not worried. All the more so if MS truly are not intending to cut 3rd party folks into this. We've still got plenty of development potential in these 'older' sims let alone what opens up in this new puppy...

I can't help but sit here and feel the deja vu from when X came out though - a point that has been well-made in this thread :)

Astoroth
March 4th, 2012, 00:56
Sure, we will still have XP, and FSX will still be around,

Are you sure about that? What about when M$ decides FSX is at "End Of Life", and discontinues support? How are you going to reactivate it the next time you need to re-install?

CWOJackson
March 4th, 2012, 06:07
The Flight interface reminds me more of CFS then the FS series but I'm still enjoying it immensely. I hope they continue to expand it.

I'm not that worked up over MS retaining development control at this point, particularly if they have a development path in mind that they wish to control; from how I'm reading the interviews third-party development could become a reality in the future. The IL2 series followed a similar path and it didn't hurt that franchise but did allow them to control it's evolution.

On a side note, I'd love to know how much MS has made off the FS series compared to the third-party community; particularly when you look at how long the last three FS versions have remained active, the initial cost of the game and the cost of the addons (many of which cost more then then host program). I know for me, the MS element of the hobby has been by far the cheapest.

guzler
March 4th, 2012, 06:20
I personally believe that what made the MS simulators the success they were was the 3rd party community. Take this away, I'm not sure what's left.

However, MS sales will tell in due course as to whether my opinion stands corrected

heywooood
March 4th, 2012, 07:46
This may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but....

....What if the things you see and hear of Flight right now are just scratching the surface? Don't get me wrong...I am not defending Microsoft....but c'mon. These folks are being paid a LOT of money, to develop something for the PC aviation community, young and old, and everything in between. Who says there is not a 'FLight PRO' version in the works? Or, expansion packs that offer the specifics a lot of us are waiting for/want to see? I don't like the idea of MS closing off the 3rd party developers at all...but maybe they will be allowed in once Flight reaches a certain maturation point? I will have to take a wait and see attitude here. But, I will never dismiss that which I do not know. And a company as large and capable as Microsoft is no dunce. They know what they are doing. They know we are here. And they know we are waiting.

I do not see anything wrong with this opinion...I am just as optimistic as you are.

MS must realize how much 3rd party development contributed to FS sales throughout the span of the entire franchise to date...that without the open architecture, FS9 and FSX especially don't have near
the volume of sales that occured and are still occuring. In fact - dont be surprised if the release of Flight results in a significant spike in sales of FSX units - I made sure I have a still wrapped in celophane copy of FSX Gold and a spare HD with Win7 loaded and kept current...just for the day.

But unless the goal is to kill MSFS entirely (and developing a brand new program is a bizzare way to do it) the closing of Flight entirely to 3rd party development is just a huge mistake at the highest level of the company..
problem being that those people virtually NEVER admit to any mistakes - they just plow ahead blaming "lack of interest" "fickle customers" "guess no one cares about 'flying games' anymore" etc...

limjack
March 4th, 2012, 08:35
I can't find the link but on one of the flight sim forums (could of been ours) someone posted a link about MS developer talking about the direction of Flight. It sounded like to me they want to baby this program along and keeping it simple drawing in more possible enthusiast into the hobby. They said in time they would not rule out 3rd party developers. It sounded like a Mom (MS) taking care of her new baby (Flight) and nobody touches the child until the child has matured enough to be in safe hands (our wounderfull 3rd party developers).

Jim

limjack
March 4th, 2012, 08:53
One other thought I had on flight today as I read the different post throughout the community regarding flight. Using RC fying as an example. I can only imagine down at one of those RC parks a bunch of folks sharing time flying and showing off their remote control planes with eachother. Along comes a kid with his balsa wood rubber band flying machine...remember those .25 cents airplanes that broke after the first few tries. I bet those RC enthusiast would support and nurture that kid instead of sending him to another park or another field to play in.

I think we should all be excited about any new aircraft sim or game that helps push those boundries in our hobby. It can only result in someday that utimate sim (if I am still around).

Jim

papab
March 4th, 2012, 11:45
I can't find the link but on one of the flight sim forums (could of been ours) someone posted a link about MS developer talking about the direction of Flight. It sounded like to me they want to baby this program along and keeping it simple drawing in more possible enthusiast into the hobby. They said in time they would not rule out 3rd party developers. It sounded like a Mom (MS) taking care of her new baby (Flight) and nobody touches the child until the child has matured enough to be in safe hands (our wounderfull 3rd party developers).

Jim

Here you go Jim
It is at the Microsoft Flight web site:
https://news.microsoftflight.com/blogs/news/archive/2012/03/02/interview-with-joshua-howard.aspx

Interview with the lead at FLIGHT

Rick

SirBenn21
March 4th, 2012, 14:26
Great graphics but useless to the flight simmer if you ask me.

I just feel they missed the whole point. Microsoft has always been the benchmark for the flight Simulator. Now it's just become a game! And a GREADY one at that.

Very very sad.

I just hope someone else fills the void. I'll be flying FSX till something better comes out. A real flight simulator.

Just my 2 cents.

Ben

Barfly
March 4th, 2012, 15:41
I think most, given time, will find Flight to be an amazing synergy between game elements and state of the art desktop flight simulation.... try hand flying the RV on an ILS in bad weather and see where Flight just destroys FSX in terms of realism. Not everyones bag of chips for sure, but they absolutely have a winner as far as flight dynamics - "feel of flight" as it is, and uncommon access to that experience. As a long time simmer and pilot, Flight just does it for me, lol.

Bone
March 4th, 2012, 15:46
I think most, given time, will find Flight to be an amazing synergy between game elements and state of the art desktop flight simulation.... try hand flying the RV on an ILS in bad weather and see where Flight just destroys FSX in terms of realism. Not everyones bag of chips for sure, but they absolutely have a winner as far as flight dynamics - "feel of flight" as it is, and uncommon access to that experience. As a long time simmer and pilot, Flight just does it for me, lol.

I wasn't going to try it, because that's all I need to do is add to the time I mess with this stuff. However, knowing something of your impeccable aviation credentials, I'll have to go with your endorsement and give it a try.

(Yeah, thanks alot, buddy. Girlfriend, not gonna like this.)

Barfly
March 4th, 2012, 15:54
Hey Bone, maybe your girlfriend will like it :) Let her have a shot at messing around with it. Oh, make sure you spend enough time to work through the landing challenges... then you'll have a good idea what it's all about. The beginning stuff is a bit tedious for an experienced guy.

Bone
March 4th, 2012, 16:04
Thanks, Greg, and you're just adding in the tedious part to...what? make me feel better, lol.

heywooood
March 4th, 2012, 16:20

yes - is that " RV-6 Landing Challenge 3" ?

what a blast...weather, including wind gusts and turbulence, is so much better in Flight

heywooood
March 4th, 2012, 16:42
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2012-3-4_17-2-53-159.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2012-3-4_16-51-43-569.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2012-3-4_16-59-57-65.jpg

..my new friend

..and a couple random shots with terrain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2012-3-4_16-40-38-344.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2012-3-4_16-50-36-918.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2012-3-4_14-57-32-325.jpg

Barfly
March 4th, 2012, 16:47
yes - is that " RV-6 Landing Challenge 3" ?

what a blast...weather, including wind gusts and turbulence, is so much better in Flight

I think it's RV challenge 5 or 6. You hand fly an ILS in very thick cloud to below minimums. The landing environment lights aren't as bright as they would be IRL for those conditions (really you'd be CAT II) so it's extra hard. It's maybe RVR 400 or so visibility. Had to go around and reintercept and landed on the second try. Sweaty hands no kidding; it felt like a real approach, much moreso than FSX.

Gibbage
March 4th, 2012, 16:52
Are you sure about that? What about when M$ decides FSX is at "End Of Life", and discontinues support? How are you going to reactivate it the next time you need to re-install?

I can still install and activate old copy's of Windows OS just fine. MS does NOT have a history of killing old software like that. "EOL" at MS means no more patches or service support. We havent had that for FSX in years.

beana51
March 5th, 2012, 09:22
This I Hear Thru the ever growing" GRAPE VINE!!"...Are we observing an EVOLUTION in progress??...we Shall see!...In any event,for me ,and if it Flys,on My desk top???? and looks better than my AVATAR?? WELCOME to my Hanger ,and share with FS9, FSX.. and now to include FLIGHT....the best of all Worlds!!....:icon_lol:

(Microsoft Studios) – Available to download for free at www.MicrosoftFlight.com, (http://www.microsoftflight.com,/) “Microsoft Flight” is a new Windows PC game that lets players jump into the thrill of flight with no special hardware or past experience. This Spring, fans will be able to purchase the Journey to Alaska Pack, the second in a series of expansion packs for the game with over 1.2 million square miles of captivating scenery, additional missions and new aircraft.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mithrin
March 5th, 2012, 13:19
I'm happy with it. I feel I need to work harder on my crosswind landings, gusts feel more real as well as the lovely sinkholes. It actually feels like the plane gets thrown around a bit. Plus Hawaii looks beautiful. Fun little challenges and fun missions. Yup, fits me like a glove so far. I'm happy to have a sim back that I can start and fly in under 5 minutes if I want. Also glad Alaska is coming. That should look awesome with tons of opportunities for fun missions! :guinness:

YoYo
March 5th, 2012, 14:58
Next Addon - ALASKA. Sweet!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423985_310009309061057_100257846702872_819773_1488 813188_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426163_310009785727676_100257846702872_819779_1416 602089_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/64020_310009985727656_100257846702872_819780_17899 81244_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428095_310009662394355_100257846702872_819778_3896 34391_n.jpg

ID LIKE TO HAVE FS 11 !!!!

Mithrin
March 6th, 2012, 01:35
Oh man didn't see those screenies yet. That DOES look very good!