PDA

View Full Version : Vought V-173 "Flying Flapjack" Restoration Completed

Bomber_12th
February 26th, 2012, 09:28
Over the past several years the aircraft has been under restoration by a group of former Vought-employees, known as the Vought Heritage Group. The restoration work was just recently completed, and a few photos of the roll-out of the aircraft are posted to this webpage: http://www.antiqueairfield.com/articles/show/1125-vought-v-173-flying-flapjack-rollout-photos

The aircraft, owned by the National Air and Space Museum, will be on-display in Dallas at the Frontiers of Flight Museum.

Allen
February 26th, 2012, 12:26
I'm hungry after see it, is any one else?

Also...

Vought V-173 is a "Flying Pancake" and the later Vought XF5U is a "Flying Flapjack"

gradyhappyg
February 27th, 2012, 10:32
Check out those 12+ foot long wood props,must have been a high potential for prop strikes with the gear not being much longer than the props.

Moses03
February 27th, 2012, 14:48
The aircraft, owned by the National Air and Space Museum, will be on-display in Dallas at the Frontiers of Flight Museum.

That is in my neck of the woods. Will have to go check her out.

magoo
February 27th, 2012, 16:16
Very interesting aircraft. They've always fascinated me.

I'd love to see it fly.

They won't do it, of course, but it'd be sooooo interesting to watch.

Allen
February 27th, 2012, 16:37
LfpTDOAfj7Y

That is close as we are geting. It would be very bad to crash the only one left...

Also was the restoration to flying condition but only for static display or just a restoration to make it look good?

TARPSBird
February 27th, 2012, 16:52
What a beautiful restoration, looks like it just came off the assembly line. Super job by the old heads at the Vought Heritage Group. :applause: