PDA

View Full Version : Sky Manor Airport_N40

falcon409
February 25th, 2012, 14:35
Located in Pittstown, NJ, about 27nm due east of Allentown, Pa., across the river. This airport was highlighted in the Jan 2011 issue of AOPA Magazine. The airport was having financial problems and a group of pilots purchased the airport to keep it from going under. This is just an enhancement to better reflect a little bit of the flavor of the airport. All default objects, but a new Airport boundary and AFCAD (don't care much for the typical default rectangles used for the airport boundaries). I have some things left to do on the AFCAD then I'll post it for download here and possibly on flightsim.com.

skyhawka4m
February 25th, 2012, 15:21
nice work sir!!! Its about 30 minutes from me....I will have to download this one!

Reddog
February 25th, 2012, 15:50
Nice one,flew there a lot from KUKT(Quakertown, PA) for a coffee and Hambuger!! Had a great restaurant
there with a pool then the shut the pool down and filled it in,this was back in the early 80's.

falcon409
February 25th, 2012, 16:33
Nice one,flew there a lot from KUKT(Quakertown, PA) for a coffee and Hambuger!! Had a great restaurant
there with a pool then the shut the pool down and filled it in,this was back in the early 80's.
From the aerials it looks as though the pool might be gone (not sure) but the restaurant is there as most of this take-over happened around 2004 I think.:salute:

Bomber_12th
February 25th, 2012, 16:39
This is looking great, Ed!

falcon409
February 25th, 2012, 18:24
This is looking great, Ed!
Thanks John. I think I could spend every day doing scenery, lol. There are a ton of airports that could really use a facelift, even if it is just by using default objects. If ya arrange em' right it can make the whole airport look better without a lot of work. This one took me about 4 hours of total time.

Bomber_12th
February 25th, 2012, 18:48
It definitely is an improvement on the normally rather drab and sparse default small-medium sized airports - I like the boost in color and variety of structures, on top of the fact that it I'm sure it is quite a bit more accurate than the default version.

It's been great to see you making sceneries, Ed - with several of my favorites of yours installed, I tend to rotate through them. ; )

rdaniell
February 26th, 2012, 05:31
Thanks John. I think I could spend every day doing scenery, lol. There are a ton of airports that could really use a facelift, even if it is just by using default objects. If ya arrange em' right it can make the whole airport look better without a lot of work. This one took me about 4 hours of total time.

Sounds like you have found another FS vocation. Keep up the great work.

Romeo-Delta

rdaniell
February 26th, 2012, 05:33

Got one of those $ 100.00 hamburgers huh? :icon_lol:

Romeo-Delta

falcon409
February 26th, 2012, 07:07
Here's another South Jersey Airport. . .Cross Keys, Williamstown (17N). This airport also has a Sky Diving Club (Sky Dive Cross Keys) which is what takes up most of the right side in this pic.

Reddog
February 26th, 2012, 08:21
Got one of those $ 100.00 hamburgers huh? :icon_lol:

Romeo-Delta
Back then not quit that much especially if you fly in a C150 or Ercoupe.
:icon_lol:

Railrunner130
February 26th, 2012, 09:03
Nice job Ed!

South Jersey Regional has an air museum on it. I dropped in there once. It wasn't much of a museum, but they had a bunch of static displays awaiting restoration.

Some of the other airports in NJ were known to be places to spend the weekend- pools, clubs, etc. Fun for the whole family. I imagine the lawyers killed that concept....

falcon409
February 26th, 2012, 09:26
Nice job Ed!
South Jersey Regional has an air museum on it. I dropped in there once. It wasn't much of a museum, but they had a bunch of static displays awaiting restoration.
Some of the other airports in NJ were known to be places to spend the weekend- pools, clubs, etc. Fun for the whole family. I imagine the lawyers killed that concept....
Actually, South Jersey Regional is one I'm also working on. I checked to see what was already available on flightsim.com, John Looney has done a bunch of Jersey Airports, but his are mostly for FS9 not FSX. The only one I can actually say I flew out of was Cross Keys. I got a ride when I was in my teens from a guy there. We flew out to the Atlantic City area and flew up and down the coast a bit then over Lakehurst and back. What I remember the most was that as we were taking off from Cross Keys. . . .about a third of the way down the runway this guy realized he hadn't selected any flaps. There are a lot of high trees at the end of the runway when you take off from 27. I could have reached out and grabbed some leaves we were so close, lol. Phew!!:kilroy:

Meshman
February 26th, 2012, 09:53
If I may give a shout-out to the free NJ mesh by wally-bob? Available at Avsim and elsewhere. Avsim ID is 156942 or search on his name Walter Roberts. New Jersey hasn't finished full state release of their LIDAR (laser measured) terrain source, so applicability to Falcon's work area is unknown.

Sieggie
February 26th, 2012, 15:39
If you are interested in New Jersey airports, check these out http://www.mseairports.com/index.php

Drew also includes the ad2 file so you can see how he does the magic. Be advised that he really loves to use lots of different library files.

Wally Bobs JY43 - Hill Top can be found there. It is a real challange with the 5m terrain as it is a sloping runway!

Dave

falcon409
February 26th, 2012, 16:34
. . . . . . .Wally Bobs JY43 - Hill Top can be found there. It is a real challange with the 5m terrain as it is a sloping runway!
Dave
Yea I used a couple of his airports even though I don't use Megascenery, they still worked pretty well in GEX/UTX.