PDA

View Full Version : FSX - flying these helicopters

roger-wilco-66
February 24th, 2012, 01:19
Not without being ashamed I must confess that I never got the hang of it - flying helos in FSX. I'm having massive problems with the control inputs and expecially cyclic inputs send me gyrating wildly into directions I never had in mind.
I'm a RC helicopter driver though, not an overly good one, but I have all types of helos from co-axial to bell-hiller type rotorheads and build a 450 size OH-6 now with a flybarless fixed 4 blade rotor head, so I think I understand at least the basics of it.
So how do you guys fly them? Is it possible to have a separate input axis for the collective pitch? Simulated gyro to counter the main rotor torque effect? Is there anything that can be tweaked so controlling helos is a bit easier?
Maybe also my controllers are a bit over sensitive. Anyhow, I'd like to give it another try, there are so many nice helicopters out there.

TIA,
Mark

CHBTheDoctor
February 24th, 2012, 03:44
- Framerate: Helos in FSX are uncontrollable if framerate drops below 20fps. 30fps or more is recommended. It's simply the feedback loop, cause your only clue is the movement of the graphics because helos are "squishy" and in fact you have to be ahead while not oversteering.

- 3D Display: Stereo with airplanes is nice, stereo with helos is a different world. My best landings with a helo in FSX without 3D are bumpy, so to say, the worse ones...:censored: With stereo landing on a helipat is plain easy, you SEE where to go.

Both tips are not easy to achive, I know, but at least you can try to lower graphics to get higher framerates, just to try if my framerate tip works for you.

hae5904
February 24th, 2012, 03:44
Mark,

Here's a link to typical set up set by Jordan of Hovercontrol. : http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=8;t=1790

Though relativily dated, it is still used. I have set all my sensitivities to 100%, and keeping inputs as small as possible (to prevent over control) I can fly all helicopters.
When you get the hang of it, you can even use HTR.

Cheers,
Hank

rdaniell
February 24th, 2012, 04:35
Not without being ashamed I must confess that I never got the hang of it - flying helos in FSX. I'm having massive problems with the control inputs and expecially cyclic inputs send me gyrating wildly into directions I never had in mind.
I'm a RC helicopter driver though, not an overly good one, but I have all types of helos from co-axial to bell-hiller type rotorheads and build a 450 size OH-6 now with a flybarless fixed 4 blade rotor head, so I think I understand at least the basics of it. So how do you guys fly them? Is it possible to have a separate input axis for the collective pitch? Simulated gyro to counter the main rotor torque effect? Is there anything that can be tweaked so controlling helos is a bit easier? Maybe also my controllers are a bit over sensitive. Anyhow, I'd like to give it another try, there are so many nice helicopters out there. TIA, Mark

I also fly radio controlled aircraft but, cannot fly helicopters. Heck! I even crashed the co-axial ones. I like you haven't had too much luck with flight sim helios either. That is until I bought the Bell H-13 which is the subject of a repaint thread I started. I can actually fly it. It may have something to do with it being payware and I am determined to get back something on my investment....so I've spent quite a bit of sim time flying it. Still have a lot of room for improvement.
I also just recently purchased Aerosoft's UH-1. I can at least get it off the ground and back down without breaking it.

Bottom line seems to me, at least, is just like radio control flying or full scale flying, it takes practice, practice, practice, ad infinitum.

Romeo-Delta

roger-wilco-66
February 24th, 2012, 06:28
Thanks for the comments and that excellent link.
In fact, the H-13 thread sparked my interest again (as well as Jeansy's Huey repaints), and I'll go and buy the H-13 as well as the Huey, I'm just not sure if I should go for Aerosoft or Nemeth (I tend to Nemeth because of the mil variants).

@ CHBTheDoctor: my framerates are locked at 30 and hardly ever drop below that. 3D is interesting, may I ask how you have set this up? Do you use the Nvidia 3D driver? Shutter glasses? Does this work together with TrackIR?

Cheers,
Mark

rdaniell
February 24th, 2012, 06:55
Thanks for the comments and that excellent link.
In fact, the H-13 thread sparked my interest again (as well as Jeansy's Huey repaints), and I'll go and buy the H-13 as well as the Huey, I'm just not sure if I should go for Aerosoft or Nemeth (I tend to Nemeth because of the mil variants).Mark

RW, I don't have any personal ties to either Aerosoft or Nemeth but, you might want to read all the remarks in a thread here at the Outhouse before deciding. Look for Nemeth Huey or something like that. The thread discusses the start-up process.

And for a personal opinion, I don't think you will regret purchasing the Bell 47/H-13. I am enjoying mine.

Romeo-Delta

Victory103
February 25th, 2012, 01:50
RW66, as a real world rotorhead I highly recommend checking out Hovercontrol for all your FS helo needs. Also pick up the HC Bell 412, great for FS9 and works fine with the updates in FSX. As far as purchasing a Huey, there a several threads over on HC for both the Aerosoft and ND, I personally went with the ND, and chose the Cerasim B212 for my modern variant.